"Yu Yu Hakusho" August 2003, Season 1 - Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this run of "Yu Yu Hakusho"!

Votes: 21 55.3%

Votes: 12 31.6%

Votes: 2 5.3%

Votes: 1 2.6%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters

William C. Maune

TZ News Editor in Chief
"Yu Yu Hakusho" May - July 2003 - Talkback (Spoilers)

Surprised to be watching repeats? This is the official talkback thread for the current run of "Yu Yu Hakusho" airing from May 19th through June 27th at 6.0 PM (5.0 Central). These episodes start from the beginning of the series and continue until the start of the final round of the Dark Tournament saga. This is the series second Toonami run and episodes 23+ have only been seen on Cartoon Network once. Power up your spirit energy and comment on these episodes! While this thread covers the entire run, feel free to comment on episodes as they air.

Episodes airing the first week:

May 19th: 'Surprised to be Dead'
May 20th: 'Koenma Appears'
May 21st: 'Kuwabara, A Promise Between Men'
May 22nd: 'Requirements for Lovers'
May 23rd: 'Yusuke's Back'

J.C.

Citizen of Cobra-La
It's very rare that a first episode is in my top five favorites for the entire series, but this show really does have a great beginning, especially the entire wake scene.

Majin_Megabyte

Ice Witch
I always love Boton's interduction in the 1st episode, with this classic qoute. "Bingo, you win a prize!"

Tash

:(

I am sad. That episode depressed me :(

I can't go through the episode without watery eyes. Stupid first episode *pouts*

PearlRose86

Full Moon wo Sagashite
Whenever I see the first few episodes, I keep thinking how much the series *changes* after episode 8. Not in a bad way, but still, it's a change. However, the first one is a favorite of mine. I just adore Botan, the unsterotypical "Grim Reaper". ^_^

Maggie

DianaGohan

Surprised To See Me Reviewing? The Yu Yu Hakusho "Surprised To Be Dead" mini-episode review.

When I first saw this show on AS, this episode gave me a good feeling about the show, one that has yet to go away. Nice early characterizations of Yusuke and Kuwabara (who show constant change at the point we're at now) as well as Botan (who also showed change but not nearly as much). The humor and the emotion are all top notch here, even though the action's a little weak. But we all know that will improve over time. I give this an A.

Cyber E.

Seeing this episode reminded me of it's first time on Cartoon Network....on Adult Swim....when CN was good....and not evil. God I miss those days..

What? OFF TOPIC YOU SAY?! NONSENSE I TELL YOU, NONSENSE!

Yeah, this was a great start to the series. When I first watched YYH, I didn't know that it would later contain violence, demons, & spirit energy. I actually kept watching the series for...get this...THE PLOT! OMGWTFBBQLOLROFLMAOEAB (EAB stands for 'Eating A Burger')

Beautiful begining to a beautiful series...
-aJb

Mackenzie Rainelle

Anime Psychoanalyst
Funniest moment: The creepy-monkey-thing Yusuke turned himself into to amuse the kid.

Runner-up: Yusuke scaring the hell out of Mr. Takanaka by supposedly detaching his ear.

Most Depressing Moment: Atsuko curling up in a little ball and crying over the death of her son.

Runner-up: Kuwabara going practically psychotic in grief and denial as he tries to attack Yusuke's picture and screams at him.

purplehairedwonder

No woman should suffer at the hands of men
Staff member
Mackenzie Rainelle said:
Funniest moment: The creepy-monkey-thing Yusuke turned himself into to amuse the kid.

That was funny:p I cracked up the first time I saw it and this time too.

The wake scene is always emotional. It's emotional to see the people showing sadness about his death and Yusuke just realizing that he really did have an effect on others.

And Botan... what to say about Botan? "Bingo, you win the prize!":p She's so funny, and she really is different in the beginning from where we left off in the Dark Tournament. Actually, all the characters we see in the Dark Tournament have really changed since the beginng, so it's interesting to see them evolve.

And next episode... Koenma appears! :cool:

Iridium128

Keep circulating the tapes...
Does anyone know if the BGM that plays whenever something sad happens (E.g. today during the wake scene) has a name? I've looked all over and I can only seem to find the name of every BGM but that one...

Tash

Iridium128 said:
Does anyone know if the BGM that plays whenever something sad happens (E.g. today during the wake scene) has a name? I've looked all over and I can only seem to find the name of every BGM but that one...

are you talking about Stuggle of Sadness, or something else?

Duke

Truer Words Were Never Spoken
This first episode is cool to watch, though it betrays the rest of the series. The wake scene never fails to elict tears from my eyes, and the instrumental version of the opening at the end was fun.

Personally, I can't wait until Wednesday. It was my favorite episode out of this little arc.

silverwings

Ronin of Light
god, i love this episode. Finally got my sis to watch it, too.

She did pose a good question, though. Why exactly is Kuwabara sad that Yusuke's gone? I know they become friends later, but aren't they rivals at the beginning? She wanted to know why Kuwabara isn't happy.... gah, giving me hard questions at 10 o'clock..... I couldn't come up with an answer..... :(

J.C.

Citizen of Cobra-La
silverwings01 said:
god, i love this episode. Finally got my sis to watch it, too.

She did pose a good question, though. Why exactly is Kuwabara sad that Yusuke's gone? I know they become friends later, but aren't they rivals at the beginning? She wanted to know why Kuwabara isn't happy.... gah, giving me hard questions at 10 o'clock..... I couldn't come up with an answer..... :(

I would say that they have a rivalry based on respect, especially from Kuwabara's point of view since he has his code of honor which we find out more about a few episodes later. So the lost of Yusukes life through that car accident would affect him due to loosing someone he may not of liked as a friend, but still had strong positive feelings towards.

Michael

Oro?
i like this intro epsiode..but i would have rather seen the next Yu Yu of dark tourny ;)

JetMaster5

ditching the "wing"
J.C. said:
I would say that they have a rivalry based on respect, especially from Kuwabara's point of view since he has his code of honor which we find out more about a few episodes later. So the lost of Yusukes life through that car accident would affect him due to loosing someone he may not of liked as a friend, but still had strong positive feelings towards.

Oh. I thought Kuwabara wanted to fight Yusuke one more time to win...to be the toughest gang member in the block. That's why he was sad that Yusuke died....Yusuke stole the victory and the title from Kuwabara and brought it to his grave, permanently...

Obi

SEVEN. MONDAY.
Well, according to this episode Yusuke is 14...and he DOES look 14. But by the time they get to the Dark Tournament, I'd say that Yusuke HAS to be at least 16. Kuwabara and him simply both look too old, not to mention toned, to be that young. And Keiko definately got more..*cough*..mature by the Dark Tournament.

So how old are they supposed to be anyway?!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts