"Young Justice: Outsiders" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this season

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 2 14.3%

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Feeling the aster

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Which episode was that Nightwing line in where he brings up the Will/Artemis thing, does anyone remember? I need to go back and watch it again to get a better read on it.
The only thing I remember at this point is when Lynn Stewart-Pierce brought it up to Will Harper at the Allen home in "Home Fires" before the 7 minute mark. Lynn said "So speaking of your transparent living arrangements, what's the deal with you and Artemis?" to which Will replies "What? Deal? No deal! There's no deal. I mean I'm grateful for help with Lian, but don't get the wrong idea." then Lynn retorts "Really? You're both single, living in the same house... but sorry, I shouldn't make assumptions." Will "Yeah...no."

I don't recall Dick ever insinuating anything about them.

Frontier

Staff member
Just some random spitballing about how the show might end up incorporating the Legion.

I've been thinking of that future timeline from Invasion where it went from a world where Neutron killed The Flash to a future where the Reach were in control, and now I'm wondering if after the heroes defeated the Reach it then shifted to a world where Apokolips rules and everyone is under the Anti-Life Equation.

And then I think that, with all the major Justice League International heroes that have been acknowledged or appeared on the show (Guy, Ted, Ice, Fire), we still haven't seen Booster Gold yet, and the Legion existing is an important part of his origin (since he steals one of their flight rings).

So I wonder if the ultimate end goal of the heroes' efforts might be creating the timeline where the Legion exists in the 30th century. I mean, wouldn't the Legion's world be the complete antithesis of what the Light are after? The Earth becomes a near-utopia but one that is home to and part of a coalition of planets and aliens defended by an organization headlined mostly by aliens from other planets.

And the Legion represents the ultimate thematic evolution of the Team, as instead of the universe being defended by an adult group like the Justice League, it's protected by a bunch of teenagers with diverse powers and personalities.

Nygma

Maybe just a mix up because they alluded to a girl staying at his place, Halo, and her sleeping in mid-air in "Private Security" then Dick retorted with "So she's a conversation piece?"

Also did she even know Artemis & Jade are sisters (since they both use different last names)? If not, I can see that changing her perception on whether she'd think that's a good idea or not?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Just some random spitballing about how the show might end up incorporating the Legion.

I've been thinking of that future timeline from Invasion where it went from a world where Neutron killed The Flash to a future where the Reach were in control, and now I'm wondering if after the heroes defeated the Reach it then shifted to a world where Apokolips rules and everyone is under the Anti-Life Equation.

And then I think that, with all the major Justice League International heroes that have been acknowledged or appeared on the show (Guy, Ted, Ice, Fire), we still haven't seen Booster Gold yet, and the Legion existing is an important part of his origin (since he steals one of their flight rings).

So I wonder if the ultimate end goal of the heroes' efforts might be creating the timeline where the Legion exists in the 30th century. I mean, wouldn't the Legion's world be the complete antithesis of what the Light are after? The Earth becomes a near-utopia but one that is home to and part of a coalition of planets and aliens defended by an organization headlined mostly by aliens from other planets.

And the Legion represents the ultimate thematic evolution of the Team, as instead of the universe being defended by an adult group like the Justice League, it's protected by a bunch of teenagers with diverse powers and personalities.
Curious if Weisman extended his timeline past Bart's time once Outsiders went into production. I recall he's said that's where he stopped.

Also did she even know Artemis & Jade are sisters (since they both use different last names)? If not, I can see that changing her perception on whether she'd think that's a good idea or not?
Hmm, hard to say since we know barely anything about this version of Lynn, lol.

Blue Sword

Anyone feel like there might be more to Jade leaving Will and Lian? Like maybe she was being blackmailed or she felt her connection to them was putting them in danger? (she did end up freeing Shade from the Light's control).

Barbossa

Can't see Jade making it out alive this season...She is losing her sharpness...She has had a good run

Troy Troodon

Am I wrong in saying that I think this season is too dark; or at least that I think some of the more bloody or gorey imagery is unecessary?

Like I can understand if the team wants to go darker than they can allow on CN, it's just in some spots I feel they are too dark, and that I don't think they need gore to be taken seriously.

Frontier

Staff member
Am I wrong in saying that I think this season is too dark; or at least that I think some of the more bloody or gorey imagery is unecessary?

Like I can understand if the team wants to go darker than they can allow on CN, it's just in some spots I feel they are too dark, and that I don't think they need gore to be taken seriously.
Personally I think it's not all that more dark then Invasion, and the more gore and blood is used much more sparingly then you would think and usually with a specific point behind it.

Marvelman02

I've always imagined that Connor would eventually become the Superboy of the Legion of Superheroes.

#TeamMike

You have my sword, but unfortunately we are in the minority.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Can't see Jade making it out alive this season...She is losing her sharpness...She has had a good run
Well in the comics when she was at a simular point of being torn between being a villain or with Lian she ended up nuking Qurac, so I don't see it ending well.

Dorko

Well in the comics when she was at a simular point of being torn between being a villain or with Lian she ended up nuking Qurac, so I don't see it ending well.

With the apparent coming of the Suicide Squad and the implication that forces outside the super-heroic community are taking notice of the shadow war going on between The Light and The League, I wonder if Cheshire (a known terrorist-for-hire and former foot soldier of The Light) will be the fall guy for a bombing in Greater Bialya...

Frontier

Staff member
I still find it fairly tame compared to some of the DCU DTVs. Then again, I'm not that squeamish.
Oh, it's definitely much more tame then the DTV's. I mean, there's still no swearing on this show :p.
With the apparent coming of the Suicide Squad and the implication that forces outside the super-heroic community are taking notice of the shadow war going on between The Light and The League, I wonder if Cheshire (a known terrorist-for-hire and former foot soldier of The Light) will be the fall guy for a bombing in Greater Bialya...
I actually wonder if anyone outside the League and Team has been made aware of the Light and their machinations :confused:.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
I mean Vandal Savage did do that broadcast from Warworld. Problem is you have heroes like Lex but then again they could all have diplomatic immunity.

the greenman

I can totally imagine them setting up the Legion.
Yeah that's what I figured.
I was one of the first point it out. After you binge the first two seasons this comes off much darker.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I don't know. I'm put off when I see comments around the Internet about 'oh, YJ got darker'. I thought it always was. It was always there. Always happening, the show didn't focus on it nor could it at the time. But you could feel it, imo. It's always been a more mature series than the other DC animation series out there at the time, that preceded it, or proceeded it. But in general, it's a living, growing world like some of the other shows like The Brave and The Bold or Justice League Action but for them things get wrapped up in a bow so to speak even though they still address topics like characters dying and sacrificing themselves.

YJ is a world where good things happen. Bad things happen. Terrible things happen. Heartwarming things happen. Not all in equal measure, not all in some equal order. I think a major trend of YJ is escalation. Seeing the kind of violence that occurs season to season doesn't surprise me as a result. Vandal and Darkseid's plan is nearing its final phase and the stakes are only getting higher than before. With that comes, things get harsher. I'd even say a lot of the mental attacks committed by Miss Martian in season 1 and 2 were just as comparable to the heightened physical violence we've seen in Outsiders, imo. Worse if you think about it.

And sure, one could counter the notion of censorship on the streaming service is in it's 'Wild West era' and there probably isn't much push back with content. But to me Weisman and Vietti didn't take that as a blank check to go wild. Otherwise, it'd be in every other scene. It's very selected moments where it's plausible there's no other real outcome and it's not in every episode either. And like what's been noted, no swearing. No nudity or sex either. No Reverse Flashes getting shot through the head in gratuitous fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts