"Young Justice: Outsiders" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this season

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 2 14.3%

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Feeling the aster

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I really enjoyed all 13 episodes and I'm happy the show is back.

However, I can't shake the feeling that I've seen alot of these beats before (in one form or another) and they are just regurgitating key plot points.

Cyborg, Court of Owls, Judas Contract, the potential Bat-family drama... all things the movies have touched on in the last 5/6 years, with the exact same art-style no less (minus a few design tweaks).

I was entertained, but the show has never managed to create the same level of investment in me as it did in season 1. I still loved the show, but I hope it has more focus in the latter half of the season.

Frontier

Staff member
It just occurred to me the William Shatner-expy is Paul Sloane. In the comics, Paul Sloane briefly became the third Two-Face. Who (relatively) recently voiced Two-Face in a most notable fashion?

I genuinely can't tell if that's an intentional layered in-joke or just a happy coincidence, but either way I love it.
Well, in an episode with "Doom Patrol Go!," I think it lends itself to possibly being more intentional then not :p.
Cyborg, Court of Owls, Judas Contract, the potential Bat-family drama... all things the movies have touched on in the last 5/6 years, with the exact same art-style no less (minus a few design tweaks).
The Court of Owls was more of a design reference then an actual entity here.

And while Batman seems more stern with Robin, so far the Batfamily seems to be running fine with Robin and his group, Dick doing his own stuff, and Oracle helping Batman Incorporated.

Cyborg and Terra are stuff we see a lot in adaptions but so far I think they've been integrated organically into the story and make sense to use from the main concepts of this season (Apokolips and Geo-Force on the Outsiders).

Barbossa

Great first half to the season...The issue now is will 13 episodes be enough to resolve all the plot points introduced so far...Faster pacing for the second half of the season is required.....Stuff like Jason Todd is for Season 4 and beyond...

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I also want to give some praise to Zehra Fazal for being able to voice such vastly different characters as Violet/Halo, Cassandra Savage, and Harper Row with such unique and distinctive voices, while still being able to imbue them with plenty of personality and character :).
I recall it was said she's voicing a lot of characters. So they're getting a lot of mileage out of her, Troy Baker, and Khary Payton. Baker and Payton are tied as most used with 8 named roles each.

Frontier

Staff member
I recall it was said she's voicing a lot of characters. So they're getting a lot of mileage out of her, Troy Baker, and Khary Payton. Baker and Payton are tied as most used with 8 named roles each.
Maybe it's because I'm not used to her voice while I'm used to hearing Baker and Payton but I can never tell it's her even though I can usually pick out Baker and Payton in a minute :p.

At least with Zeno Robinson in the cast Payton isn't stuck voicing every black character who pops up anymore (whenever Kevin Michael Richardson isn't around) :sweat:.

iammattie

Oh man, just caught up with the end of 3A, I know I'm a couple days late so most things that are gonna be said have been said, but WOW, you can just tell the amount of love th writers have for these characters. I'm sure most writers dont write characters they dont care about, but in this instance the team seems to be going above and beyond with how much they shove into 20/30 minute chunks.

I've got to admit though, going into the season I hadn't rewatched the first two since the cancellation, and so I had some head scratching moments throughout. Definitely gonna try to binge it all before it returns in a few months.

Dreyfus

Jade releases Roy from their relationship, clearing the way for the Roy-Artemis angle they seem to be setting up. This would make it a little less weird in my opinion.

Black Lightning had one of the best character moments when he says "What a relief" that someone can handle him at full power. He's been pulling his punches ever since that kid died. Reminded me of Superman in the JLU finale, but with different character implications.

Also, how cool to see Katana and Metamorpho right out of the gate. Get Black Lightning in there ASAP. Katana vs Lady Shiva, and the Soultaker? Just awesome.

MarvelMan02 said:
Also, aren't those two paramedics characters from the latest version of the Doom Patrol? I'm not really up on it so I'm not sure.

Oh, really? I read those comics and I didn't even notice. Will have to go back and look. i remember the guy was really muscular.

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Jade releases Roy from their relationship, clearing the way for the Roy-Artemis angle they seem to be setting up. This would make it a little less weird in my opinion.

I don't think Artemis starting a relationship with her sister's husband can ever be unweird for me. As stuffed as this show is with characters, this would be an odd choice.

I was entertained, but the show has never managed to create the same level of investment in me as it did in season 1. I still loved the show, but I hope it has more focus in the latter half of the season.

I'm always wishing there was more time spent with the Season 1 setup than just Season 1.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Agreed, it'd be weird. I think's it's more likely there will be an Artemis-centric episode where she finally deals with Wally's death. They had the bit in the season opener when she looks at the photo of her, Wally, and Brucely but then everything happened and I don't want to say she used all the events as a way of repressing her issue but...

I'm always wishing there was more time spent with the Season 1 setup than just Season 1.
But they did spend more time on Season 1 in the tie-comic unless you meant in animated form.

Frontier

Staff member
One thing I miss about season 1 is just that the focus seemed more centered and consistent.

I mean, it still is kind of centered and consistent on the original members to some degree, but I wish the newer members of the Team got to have that kind of screentime :(.

Frontier

Staff member
A lot of the second and third generation members do start feeling like they're just fanservice. That first character teaser was kind of misleading.
I don't think anyone on that first character teaser has gotten more then 2-3 lines. Maybe Tim, Bart, and Cassie, but that's about it :sweat:.

Blue Sword

The Green Monkey God origin for Gar isn't from the comics but definitely feels like it would be.

Black Lightning had one of the best character moments when he says "What a relief" that someone can handle him at full power. He's been pulling his punches ever since that kid died. Reminded me of Superman in the JLU finale, but with different character implications.

Also, how cool to see Katana and Metamorpho right out of the gate. Get Black Lightning in there ASAP. Katana vs Lady Shiva, and the Soultaker? Just awesome.

Oh, really? I read those comics and I didn't even notice. Will have to go back and look. i remember the guy was really muscular.

I still hope they don't go with Roy/Artemis

the greenman

I loved these last set of episodes. A few from these like Another Freak were beautiful to look at in their production. The Harper stuff was very funny. Need more Rex and Katana.

Uh, I've never seen a full ep of TTGO!, but a convincing commercial this is. I'm not sure why they're teasing Doom Patrol. My JL Detroit hopes seem to be fulfilled ever so slightly; thanks for Cisco Ramon.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I meant in the show really. It still feels as though there was alot of developments that we missed out on during the 5 year gap.
Got it. Understandable but YJ isn't conventional in a sense compared to the linear model other shows pretty much followed like The Brave and The Bold, Beware the Batman, Justice League Action. Escalation has to happen in the context of these time skips as they continue to try to take on the Light so the universe has to expand in terms of characters and locations. Yeah, Legacy and the last story arc teased a lot of stuff that happened in the 5 year gap and now we have the 2 year gap as well to grouse about, lol.

But I suppose devil's advocate, they aren't getting enough tie-in content like other series got and yeah, it's partially an issue of where's the money coming from but the comic is also doing very well on the DCU service. And it always felt like why not give them online shorts, too? Surely there's missions or some material they can write for under 5-10 minutes. DTVs sound like a slam dunk but in recent years, that's gotten to a crowded schedule of releases so maybe releasing them through the streaming service might be the right ticket.

Frontier

Staff member
Uh, I've never seen a full ep of TTGO!, but a convincing commercial this is. I'm not sure why they're teasing Doom Patrol. My JL Detroit hopes seem to be fulfilled ever so slightly; thanks for Cisco Ramon.
Maybe one of his classmates is Cindy Reynolds :p?
But I suppose devil's advocate, they aren't getting enough tie-in content like other series got and yeah, it's partially an issue of where's the money coming from but the comic is also doing very well on the DCU service. And it always felt like why not give them online shorts, too? Surely there's missions or some material they can write for under 5-10 minutes. DTVs sound like a slam dunk but in recent years, that's gotten to a crowded schedule of releases so maybe releasing them through the streaming service might be the right ticket.
I'm always an advocate for more DC Showcase like content or comics :).

Last edited:

ShadowStar

I don't think Will/Artemis is going to happen. Remember how they hinted at Connor/Wendy in season 2 and then it didn't happen - the same could be the case here. Plus, if it was really going to happen, then I'm sure that Artemis's feelings about it would've been addressed by now. But Will may well find someone else by the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts