"Young Justice: Outsiders" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this season

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 2 14.3%

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Feeling the aster

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I presume "3016" is a nod to this being Season 3, and well the Earth-16 Easter eggs they keep squeezing in. I missed this one, honestly. I think I only caught Brion and Gregor being born 16 minutes apart, but there's bound to be more in these episodes.
I've only taken notes from the first two, but yeah a lot of 16 easter eggs mostly in the premiere.

"Princes All"
-The re-used scene from Endgame has the timestamp July 4 21:16 EDT
-The first new timestamp is July 04, 22:16 EEST
-2nd timestamp is July 16, 00:16 UTC
-The # of Leaguers still on Earth at at the meeting were 16 total
-Gregor born 16 minutes before Brion
-Star City timestamp is July 29 07:16 PDT
-Happy Harbor timestamp is July 29, 10:16 PDT
-1st Metropolis timestamp is July 29, 22:16 EDT

"Royal We"
-Space Trek 3016
-Over 16,000 child and teen abductions
-Dick and Artemis emerge from terminal 16

"Eminent Threat"
-Space Trek 3016
-# of clones Ecks makes?

And the "Goode World Studios" logo is a nod to both WB and the CW. Not too subtle, but I think it's all in good fun.
Yeah, they introduced Goode World in the tie-in comic. And it happens to also be Weisman's initials, GW.

Last edited:

Otaku-sempai

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Halo had a healing aura in comics, did she? If not, I actually like this change.
No, her violet aura was tied into her human identity. Wikipedia has a good summary of the original Halo's powers (I've added flight to the list):
  • White aura: Flight
  • Red aura: Heat beams
  • Orange aura: Concussive force beams
  • Yellow aura: Brilliant light
  • Green aura: Stasis beam
  • Blue aura: Holographic distortion effect
  • Indigo aura: Tractor beam
  • Violet aura: Gave the sociopathic personality of Violet Harper control of the body, enabling her to use any or all of Halo's powers

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
In regards to Beast Boy, I didn't really mind the voice actor change. Greg Cipes is probably the name I associate the most with the character anyway. The timing seems pretty funny to me, seeing him in a Star Trek-like uniform after the recent Teen Titans Go! episode "How's This For a Special? Spaaaace".
I'm just glad Greg Cipes did a more normal version of his Beast Boy voice. I don't think his regular one would have fit well in this universe :sweat:.
I do wonder how much he is associated with the Justice League now. He seems to have a different career, and life. I was kind of surprised he's having a relationship with Queen Perdita. Also, the implication they meet at the funeral of one of their best friends. But I like how he's starting a campaign against metahuman trafficking. He could work well in contrast to G. Gordon Godfrey.
I do find it interesting that Beast Boy is one of the few members of the Team who appear to have left and made a public life for themselves :).

I wonder if the Team does "reserve members," where people leave but are on-call whenever the Team needs more members...I mean, they've brought in retired members before, but those seemed to be for special circumstances :confused:.
I want to see Kite Man, myself. I'd like to think they're borrowing from The Brave and the Bold and have already set up a big story-arc for him with Plastic Man's introduction. :p
Without the network restrictions they could probably pull off his comic catchphrase :p.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
For Halo, I think we only saw her red, orange and purple auras so far. They seem to have different properties here anyway. Like healing, or those force fields she created around herself and the others. I wonder what else she might be capable of doing when/if she uses any of the other colors from the comics. I think the 3 she used so far are the only ones we saw in promotional artwork, so either that's all there is or they're saving some more surprises for later.

I've only taken notes from the first two, but yeah a lot of 16 easter eggs mostly in the premiere.

"Princes All"
-The re-used scene from Endgame has the timestamp July 4 21:16 EDT
-The first new timestamp is July 04, 22:16 EEST
-2nd timestamp is July 16, 00:16 UTC
-Star City timestamp is July 29 07:16 PDT
-Happy Harbor timestamp is July 29, 10:16 PDT
-1st Metropolis timestamp is July 29, 22:16 EDT
I'm probably in the minority here, but I kind of stopped paying attention to the timestamps for this show. I only check the location, and maybe the date. But I like how much effort they put into this, acknowledging all the different time-zones and stuff.

Without the network restrictions they could probably pull off his comic catchphrase :p.
This makes me wonder if they'll use more explicit dialogue (and translations) for Lobo, when he'll show up.

Last edited:

Lonewolf36

For Halo, I think we only saw her red, orange and purple auras so far. They seem to have different properties here anyway. Like healing, or those force fields she created around herself and the others. I wonder what else she might be capable of doing when/if she uses any of the other colors from the comics. I think the 3 she used so far are the only ones we saw in promotional artwork, so either that's all there is or they're saving some more surprises for later.
Halo's powers remind of the Green Lantern's emotional spectrum abilities Red Lantern's force bubbles, Star Sapphire's healing, even Black Lantern's coming back from the dead.

Dorko

I want to see Kite Man, myself. I'd like to think they're borrowing from The Brave and the Bold and have already set up a big story-arc for him with Plastic Man's introduction. :p

I'm going to pack as much detail as I conceivably can into this sentence because it's a trip from start to finish: Ex-CIA agent Tom King has done fantastic work with Kite Man in the pages of Batman that has taken him from punchline to fun-but-not-pathetic running gag to legitimately cool character who once helped Batman take down The Joker & The Riddler's criminal armies at the same time. This show, which has already made one of the most gimmicky characters in the history of DC's recurring villains into a credible threat (Sportsmaster) and just made Dr. Double X threatening, could no doubt do great things with King's work.

Hell yeah.

Road to Gotham

Good start to Season 3.
I was surprised and pleased to see them using Dr. Simon Ecks, one my favorite C-List villains
from the Batman rogue's gallery.
I guess his alter ego name will have to be change as this version can make multiple copies of himself while the comic book version only made one energy duplicate.

Still I prefer Dr. Double X appearance more on B:TB&TB. Because the Silver/Bronze DC comics are my favorite era.

Attachments

• wf276X.png
    wf276X.png
    662 KB · Views: 48

Marvelman02

I predict that Batman's encounter with Bane will lead to Bane breaking the Bat. A now paralyzed Bruce Wayne will ask Nightwing to lead the Outsiders which will create a rift between Kaldur & M'Gann, and Dick, Connor, and Artemis.

Having said that, I don't see what the big deal is. Officially, the League can't sanction or support Batman and his team, but behind the scenes the two teams can share information, and, to a degree, coordinate their activities. One team works inside, and the other from the outside. Remember, the original purpose of the team was to be a black ops unit.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I was thinking Simon Ecks would need a different code-name only because it sounded too similar to Dubbilex. I also kind of prefer his classic, goofy design but it just wouldn't have really worked in this universe.

The Batman & Bane theory comes up every once in a while, and I'm not sure what to think. Personally I kind of hope it wouldn't happen. But at the same time, it would be pretty cool seeing it animated (considering some of the stuff that happened in the first 3 episodes, it would be rather tame, actually). But, like with Terra, I tend to think they would change some things from the way they happened in the comics, to keep people guessing.

Lonewolf36

I just thought of something amusing...with Plastic Man leaving the League with Batman, maybe the League will replace him with Elongated Man :p?
Maybe he will bring Elongated Kid along with him.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I finally got a chance to see the season premiere and it was pretty good. As expected, there was another time with a ton of stuff happening during those two years, but it wasn't as jarring as when it happened the first time. I was more prepared for it and two years isn't as huge of a time skip compared to five. I wasn't expecting Megan to have a different appearance, but maye it's explained in the tie-in comics. Aqualad being the leader of the Justice League was pretty cool. He has really moved up over the years.

Batman along with other heroes leaving the Justice League because of the limitations was a pretty surprising way to start off the season. I don't know if they are going to call themselves Batman Inc. or the Outsiders to tie in with the name of the season, but that could provide some interesting developments. I'm actually surprised that Robin is still Tim Drake. Since he has a hood as part of his costume, I thought that he would be Damian. Although, in retrospect, he'd be too tall to be Damian Wayne in this universe.

While I do remember having more issues with their relationship during season two, the proposal scene with Megan and Superboy was really sweet. I suspect that their relationship has changed for the better during the past couple of years now that they're living together too. I fully expect something to go wrong though. Starting off the season with a proposal is a huge red flag. I don't know if they'd actually kill either character off, but I still expect something to happen to make the wedding not happen.

I am a bit surprised a few people thought that Artemis and Will got together though. I guess seeing them right after the proposal would give off that impression, but Artemis is clearly still heartbroken over losing Wally. Plus, Will is brother-in-law, or ex-brother-in-law if he got a divorce. It wouldn't be incestuous, but being with someone who did have a child with your older sister does sound kind of weird and unsettling to me. I just figured that they were housemates and she was helping to take care of Liam now that Will seems to be a single Dad. I wasn't expecting Will to give himself a different name, especially when even the audience knew him as Roy longer than the original Roy, but it makes sense. He'd want to help create his own identity instead of always seeing himself as just a clone.

They clearly loved not having any censors to hold them back with this season. Not only does the season start off with a girl being mutated against her will and then dying, but every episode was practically full of character deaths. I think that the worse was the king and queen being murdered since we heard their screams and saw their blood covered bodies. Although, seeing a pile of children being buried and Halo's face being crushed by another forced Metahuman were pretty close in that department. It didn't go too far to where it felt like they were just doing it for the shock value, but it was still pretty darn jarring and intense. I was not expecting a huge body count in just the first three episode and the vast majority of the deaths were children to boot.

The action was pretty solid, especially the battles in the third episode. I don't know much about Halo from the comics, but her interactions with Artemis were pretty nice. Despite her death being so gruesome, Artemis and the doctor screaming as she came back to life was kind of funny. While they are possibly already starting off with too many new characters like what happened in season two, they were still likable enough to make the focus work. Black Lightning was likable and his conflict made him more sympathetic. As a father, something like metahuman trafficking would shake him up a lot and I like how he was able to at least be able to control his powers again in order to stop more children from dying. I don't know if he'll be part of the Justice League again, but hopefully he'll still mentor Static, especially since I want more Static from this season. He was one of my favorite parts of season two since he was likable and I still want a Static Shock reboot someday. I also kept thinking that Phil LaMarr was voicing Black Lightning, but in retrospect, I can hear more of Khary Payton's Cyborg voice in Black Lightning's.

Despite only knowing Brion and Gregor for a few episodes, I already felt pretty bad for them. Their sister was kidnapped years ago, their parents were brutally murdered, their uncle turned out to be evil and Gregor had to exile Brion. Brion's desire to activate his metahuman gene to become a hero was twisted around by the villains and Gregor basically just lost his entire family in a matter of days while still needing to keep a good public face due to being the next king. That's pretty brutal for both of them. Although, I liked that Gregor wasn't fooled by his uncle's lies and was able to arrest him despite his attempts to avoid it. I don't know if the UN Ambassador was trying to help Gregor or is slowly starting to manipulate him. At least Brion should be able to get some help from the Team with controlling his powers.

Overall, it was a good start to the new season. I just hope that they'll be able to balance out the screentime with the rather large cast over this season and that it proves to be successful for them to keep it going.

Frontier

Staff member
Hold the saxophone. At the start of ep. 3, that VR tech headset - Goode Googles. I just wrote it off as tech from Goode World Studios. But... Goode. Good. Granny Goodness?!
It does make you wonder how far Apokolips has infiltrated Earth by this point, beyond Intergang and Godfrey :ack:.

Also makes you wonder about the Beast Boy/Courtney framing device...

Light Lucario

Staff member
I also forgot to mention that the mission only provided a hallow victory for the heroes. They did stop a big metahuman trafficking facility, captured some of the people involved and prevented them from kidnapping more children. But at the same time, the children who were still alive were sent away, some of the villains involved like the Count also got away and Brion had to be exiled from his country after being forced to become a metahuman. They still did a lot of good with this mission and saved lives, but they still ended up with some pretty heavy losses, which seemed fitting. This sounds like one of the major conflicts for the season and they have captured a ridiculously large amount of children/teenagers already, so it wouldn't make sense for the heroes to have a major victory without any setbacks right off the bat.

I also liked during the first episode's credit scene where Artemis's dog was sleeping with a Kid Flash toy. I just thought that was cute.

DBTrilogy100

It's still a surreal feeling but it's also a great feeling knowing that Young Justice has made its triumphant return after all these years. They certainly took advantage of the fact that they have more freedom on a streaming site and went with showing things that wouldn't have been shown in the previous two seasons; I also think this increased intensity was executed well.

Like Greg Weisman had mentioned in the past, there would be another time skip and it was a 2 year one this time around. If I'm not mistaken, that would mean that this season takes place in "Team Year 8" and will probably end at the start of "Team Year 9" if the season ends on New Year's Day like Season 1 did. I recall Greg Weisman mentioning that he & the crew don't like to give a set year "in-universe" but also admitted that they did base Season 1 off of the 2010 calendar, so I suppose one could consider Season 3 as taking place in 2018 going by that approach. I remember some fans (either a lot or a very vocal amount) not being thrilled about the time skip for Season 2 but I was more surprised by it, than anything else since I wasn't expecting it. You could say being a fan of the DB Franchise has made me accustomed to time skips in series and I wouldn't be surprised if a time skip were to happen for a hypothetical Season 4; I recall hearing Greg Weisman call the show "one about generations".

I have heard the name "Outsiders" before but I'm not too familiar with the specifics. I'm not sure if that's what Nightwing's group is called or if that's what Batman is planning to form with the other Justice League members that went with him; Black Lightning called it "Batman Incorporated" but I don't know if that was a "mocking name" or the actual one. In any case, it looks like this season will provide a better understanding of the Outsiders for some viewers, myself included. If the first 3 episodes of the season are any indication, it seems like the Young Justice Team might take a back seat for this season. For clarification's sake, I know the group of young heroes are just called "The Team" in-universe; I'm just calling them the "Young Justice Team" from an out-of-universe context for the sake of keeping my thoughts straight while I put them together.

In the past, I had mentioned that the characters I was hoping to see in a more prevalent role after not having as much attention in Season 2 are Beast Boy, Batgirl and Wonder Girl. While I'm a bit sad that it looks like Barbara isn't Batgirl anymore, it looks like she has a bigger role in this season as Oracle and Beast Boy is getting some focus as a celebrity in addition to an activist for meta-humans. I remember Wonder Girl appearing in some promo images before the season started, so I am hoping she will still get her chance to shine even if my suspicions about the Young Justice Team taking a back seat end up being true; I found her to be a likable character and Mae Whitman's performance helped endear me to the character.

We also got to see some changes for other characters from the previous seasons, such as Aqualad becoming Aquaman II, Miss Martian taking on a humanoid appearance that acknowledges her White Martian heritage and Red Arrow taking on the civilian name of "Will". I know there's a two-part story for the tie-in comics going on right now and I'm hopeful the tie-in comics will be able to continue in the future; the fate of Aquaman I is something I'm really curious about. I found the tie-in comics to be a great way to provide more content on the universe and help "fill in the blanks" for details that couldn't be explored significantly in the episodes' runtime.

These first 3 episodes stood out to me for bringing back characters from Season 1 that didn't appear in Season 2, such as Count Vertigo, Perdita (I was surprised to hear she & Beast Boy are dating, I take it the funeral they met at was Kid Flash's) and Henchy (I imagine that's a nicknam since I doubt his parents had foresight on their side). The animated Teen Titans series was my first exposure to Terra and I will be interested in seeing how she is portrayed in Young Justice once she formally appears. I noticed that her name is pronounced as "Tar-uh" here rather than "Tare-uh"; unless the latter pronunciation is for her codename compared to her civilian name. Terra's mention also reminded me of some comments that suggested the possibility of Starfire showing up; I guess we'll just have to play the waiting game for now. I also recognized Plasmus and felt the design was quite unsettling which fits the circumstances.

I miss Tim Curry as G. Gordon Godfrey but I understand that his health complications made it unlikely for him to return to the role. Greg Cipes reprising Beast Boy caught me by surprise but he does give a different performance compared to his previous takes; I suppose it just goes to show how different voice directions with the same voice artist can make a world of difference. It's probably going to still take me some time to get used to hearing this version of Beast Boy with Greg Cipes' voice, I am so used to Logan Grove's voice for this version of the character. On another note, I'm glad Troy Baker got to join the cast in this season, I look forward to hearing the other cast members they managed to have join in on this season.

There's likely more on my mind to talk about but I think I will need some more time to think it over. I wanted to, at least, give some of my two cents before the next batch of episodes went public. Overall, I am glad to have Young Justice back and look forward to seeing more of this season.

Frontier

Staff member
I also forgot to mention that the mission only provided a hallow victory for the heroes. They did stop a big metahuman trafficking facility, captured some of the people involved and prevented them from kidnapping more children. But at the same time, the children who were still alive were sent away, some of the villains involved like the Count also got away and Brion had to be exiled from his country after being forced to become a metahuman. They still did a lot of good with this mission and saved lives, but they still ended up with some pretty heavy losses, which seemed fitting. This sounds like one of the major conflicts for the season and they have captured a ridiculously large amount of children/teenagers already, so it wouldn't make sense for the heroes to have a major victory without any setbacks right off the bat.
Well, a lot of the heroes' wins on this show are Pyrrhic, temporary, or only partial victories...
I noticed that her name is pronounced as "Tar-uh" here rather than "Tare-uh"; unless the latter pronunciation is for her codename compared to her civilian name.
It's definitely just to distinguish her real name from her codename.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.

Featured Posts