"Young Justice: Outsiders" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this season

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 2 14.3%

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Feeling the aster

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
The series doesn't exactly reveal everything in linear fashion, anyway. If it doesn't get revealed in future episodes, then it's likely being saved for another season or tie-in material.

I mean not saying it should reveal everything(I can understand Roy's development and I pretty much know why Barbara is in a wheelchair) but like I said the fact it kinda gets brushed aside kinda irks me. I don't mind timeskips(in fact I enjoy them)however I really wish we didn't skip any important developments and I really wish we didn't have to absorb any other media to connect the dots, remember the whole "The backstory of season 2 will be explained in a videogame)

Also, does anyone else think the humor has gotten a lot better this season?
I might need to rewatch other seasons but I don't remember it making me laugh this much so yes.

You know for all the hype that this is supposedly darker and more than the last couple season (and it certainly is, I mean so far they haven't pulled punches with the blood, death, and once particularly Sam Ramy-ish scene) nobody seems to swear in this show. Heck, Lightning just said "Dangit

Yeah that is kinda strange

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
If the G designations are hacks done for Nightwing's team, I think it will be pretty amusing if Batman did the same thing for himself and his team in the form of the Z designations. So far, from SDCC we know Katana is Z-05

Dudley

Staff member
These time skips and the fact that it’s been a couple of years since I’ve seen the past seasons, have made watching the show a bit difficult to follow. However, having the season have a focus on Dick’s team does help, so I won’t have to keep tabs on so many characters. Like why are there now THREE Harpers? And who’s the girl with luck based powers? Is she supposed to be Jinx?
Despite all this, I’m really enjoying this show!

the greenman

On Eps 4-6, they were great! Return to form IMO.
Still waiting one two more members; Katana and Metamorpho (wondering on some joke on his codename there in this season). Loved the intro to Megs brother, who looks to be Jason Todd/Red Hood, and the burgeoning ship with Halo & Brion. Oh and the identity issue with Halo was kinda solved pretty quickly, huh. They basically switched "Gaby Doe" for Violet (her real name).
All in all, looking forward to the rest of the season!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
These time skips and the fact that it’s been a couple of years since I’ve seen the past seasons, have made watching the show a bit difficult to follow. However, having the season have a focus on Dick’s team does help, so I won’t have to keep tabs on so many characters. Like why are there now THREE Harpers? And who’s the girl with luck based powers? Is she supposed to be Jinx?
Despite all this, I’m really enjoying this show!
You had a couple years to rewatch the past seasons. :p

There were always three Harpers (well, four if you count Lian). Speedy who became Red Arrow was revealed to be the real Speedy's clone, force grown to his age. The first Guardian was a second clone of the real Speedy, force grown to an adult, brainwashed, and given the cover of being Roy's uncle, Jim. They first met him at Cadmus, where he was head of security. The real Speedy was eventually found by Red Arrow and Cheshire in the second season, and he became Arsenal, joined the Team, got kicked out, worked with the Runaways for a bit, went solo, helped out in "Endgame" and as revealed during around last SDCC has apparently rejoined the Team but we haven't see him work on an op with them yet this season.

The girl that can cause bad luck is Thirteen (better known as Traci 13 in the comics) and she was one of the three new members of the Team we saw in the season premiere. Though I suppose she is now the newest.

Looks like they're pulling a Winter Soldier with Red Hood.
Didn't think of it like that. Good comparison! I figured it may be a kind of.. alternate take on the Under the Hood DTV, a what-if he didn't flip out upon being revived and run off.

Bestmand902

I really like this show so far, but jeez louise, Greg and Vietti introduce so many new characters that there's no way they're going to resolve everything they set up, even if they get renewed more than once. It's kind of annoying, but just a minor complaint

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
I've seen some theories the Goode VR Goggles are leading to the Justifiers from the Final Crisis in the comics. Also where Godfrey took an alias of Reverend Goode. Hmm.
That would be very disturbing considering all the kids we've seen using it.

I really liked the first episode, this season and many of the previous episodes last season never got crazy camp like this episode and it felt like a good balance between the dark and gritty last 3 episodes we've had. Even Zatanna's Arc felt pretty well tied in with what is going on with Violet and is clearly setting up for the future.

I hated the second episode the most it offered the least amount of surprises. I can't stand how Wonder Girls only personality trait goes back to whatever boy she's interested in its very annoying since she hasn't been an interesting character since the original Young Justice run was finished. The stuff with MGann and her brother was interesting but it feels like something that should have been in trashed a long time ago. Tracy 13 looks interesting but I really don't want to see any more characters just to get sidelined.

I didn't care too much for the third episode either mostly because I find Geo Force and his anger to be really annoying we've already had a storyline like this how long was disobeying orders which was also super obviously going to happen. Although I have to admit I loved the flashback Violet address the idea of being a refugee in a country where you're hated, something I've never seen touched upon in tv. I imagine her powers must be linked to the emotional spectrum because they seem to change with her mood. It's super obvious Deathstroke is probably the one who's taking over the League of Shadows it was pretty cool seeing a good depiction of the Rhas Al Ghulls life.

Dudley

Staff member
I really like this show so far, but jeez louise, Greg and Vietti introduce so many new characters that there's no way they're going to resolve everything they set up, even if they get renewed more than once. It's kind of annoying, but just a minor complaint

I’ve heard people complain about that before with this show and even Gargoyles. He plans so much, when most of it will likely never get made.
The goes against something else I learned about writing for cartoons; advice on how each season should be written as if it’s its last. In this industry, you never know when your show can end up cancelled.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I really liked the new batch of episodes. Good stories, nice balance between all the drama, action and comedy, plus some neat and entertaining interactions with all the characters. Granted the new additions to the show were put in the spotlight, but it was cool they used some of the older characters a little more. I'll probably comment more later on, but here are a few quick thoughts-

"Private Security"

I liked how they focused on this small scale adventure instead of the mission to save more kids (at least that's what I presume they did at the end of the episode). It's cool not all the episodes will deal with the same issues or themes. Regardless, it was fun seeing the three Harpers and Dick interact. Brick was also a decent antagonist and also added some more to the levity of the episode.

As with others, I presume those Goode VR goggles will play a larger role later on. I'm not sure what exactly they'll be used for, but it seems like they're present in just about each episode so far, thus it feels like set-up for something bigger.

The scenes with Zatanna having only an hour every year to see her father was handled well and it was also pretty emotional. I liked how Artemis was there for her, though. Shows how their friendship has grown over the course of the show (since "Secrets", I believe).

"Away Mission"

I really liked seeing them explore more of Jack Kirby's Fourth World concepts. I like Forager so far. Having him voiced by Jason Spisak is also cool. I didn't think Mantis would have a somewhat similar design, but it kind of makes sense. Having Forager exiled from New Genesis is a neat turn of events, also makes him a prime candidate for the Outsiders.

It was nice seeing the Forever People again, though only Bear actually showed up outside of flashbacks. "Orion" was cool, at least design-wise. I do wonder if we'll get to see the real character. Perhaps later on, after his father is also introduced.

It was also nice seeing Miss Martian's Team in action. I liked Thirteen but I'm kind of hoping they'll explain more about her in the future. And I also wish these characters will show up again later on, and won't be forgotten until the end of the Season.

The big surprise that Ma'alefa'ak (if I spelled that right) is M'gann's brother was handled pretty well. I was expecting it to be Psimon, for some reason. But it's kind of cool how they're exploring more of her background.

"Rescue Op"

This was probably my favorite episode from the Season, at least so far. Black Spider (with Josh Keaton reprising his role), a tease of Terra, Dick and Barbara, the League of Assassins, complete with Ra's al Ghul, plus another tease for Damian Wayne and possibly Jason Todd (also voiced by Keaton!). I do wonder if they used a Lazarus Pit to revive him, or if there's another parallel version of Superboy somewhere in this show's continuity who just punched a wall or something. :p

I liked how the Outsiders team was formed. I presume we will soon see Katana and Metamorpho also join. But the team so far is pretty cool. Their interactions are kind of fun (this episode had some pretty good comedy) but I'm not sure if they're building up a romance between Halo and Brion. Halo seems a little more interested but I could be wrong. It's nice how we also saw some glimpses into her past life, and how she decided to use Violet as her new name.

All in all, good stuff. I look forward to the next 3 episodes.

Last edited:

ShadowStar

I wonder how old Thirteen is supposed to be - I believe it was mentioned that she has dated Blue Beetle (might need a source for that), who is now 18 (since he was 16 in season 2), but here we see her display an interest in Beast Boy, who is 15 (since he was 13 in season 2). Is she 16?

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I just remembered M'gann also used a rock to squish Bromwell Stikk back in the 1st Season. However, I doubt Jaqqar Marlo was a robot this time. :p

And Halo knowing so much about New Genesis seems to enforce the theory a Mother Box is possessing her.

Last edited:

Dorko

I’ve heard people complain about that before with this show and even Gargoyles. He plans so much, when most of it will likely never get made.
The goes against something else I learned about writing for cartoons; advice on how each season should be written as if it’s its last. In this industry, you never know when your show can end up cancelled.
As a fan, that's what I love about his shows. He creates worlds that don't end, characters never stop existing just because they fall out of focus or haven't been seen in a while, and there are always threads that hint at the next episode, next season, next spin-off. I greatly prefer that to shows where things either never change (He-Man & The Masters of the Universe) or the plot is completely wrapped up by the end of the season...meaning some new threat has to come along next season to keep the show going (Jackie Chan Adventures, most notably in later seasons).

But that's a personal opinion. I think it applies all the better to a show like this (or Spectacular Spider-Man) since the source material itself is never ending.

Last edited:

Marvelman02

There's a small detail about "Away Mission" that has been bugging me. No pun intended. In the opening, Mantis was trading minerals for "books". Which books? That seems like a very very unusual trade, and Mantis does not seem like a deep reader to me. Is this a throw-away line or something more? Why would Mantis want books?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts