"Young Justice: Outsiders" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

• Enter to win two tickets to Whisper of the Heart. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Rate this season

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 2 16.7%

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Feeling the aster

• Total voters

CyberCubed

Sep 25, 2004
NY
I'm glad they're focusing on the original cast again but why Black Lightning? He isn't a younger character like the rest of the core cast and overall he's a D-tier superhero. Why not have Static Shock be with the main trio instead since he got some development by the end of Season 2? Feels like a weird choice to me.

Harlequinn

Joker's Henchman
Nov 15, 2009
California
I'm glad they're focusing on the original cast again but why Black Lightning? He isn't a younger character like the rest of the core cast and overall he's a D-tier superhero. Why not have Static Shock be with the main trio instead since he got some development by the end of Season 2? Feels like a weird choice to me.
Because they're adapting the Outsiders

Reactions: RoyalRubble

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
As much as I would like to see Static get more screentime, it wouldn't have made sense to put him in Black Lightning's place during these three episodes. Black Lightning is a father with girls around the age of the kids who were kidnapped and tortured, so that would hit him a lot harder than it would for a teenager. At the very least, it would hurt for Black Lightning to see children die in a significantly different way than it would for other younger heroes.

Reactions: RoyalRubble

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Young Justice: Outsiders continues today at 5am (PST)/ 8am (EST) on DC Universe! Show your support for Young Justice: Outsiders on Twitter by live-tweeting #YoungJustice and #YoungJusticeOutsiders to @TheDCUniverse during today's episodes!

Young Justice: Outsiders
Friday, January 11, 2019 - "#50 Private Security"

Synopsis: While Jefferson, Conner and Artemis find homes for their Markovian strays, Dick assembles a new squad and hits the road - but may not survive the trip.

Friday, January 11, 2019 - "#51 Away Mission"
Synopsis: A distant conflict sends the team on an away mission, while the Happy Harbor gang decides what to do with Brion Markov and Halo.

Friday, January 11, 2019 - "#52 Rescue Op"
Synopsis: Brion Markov is determined to rescue his missing sister - even if it means throwing down against the entire League of Shadows.

Comments?

Mod Note: Please feel free to start discussing the episodes right away after they are released!

Discussion is encouraged, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Feel free to comment as the episode streams, too, providing your own running commentary, though AVOID successive posting or posts with only three words and under. However, do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And please remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC! Any mention or implication of viewing an episode through illegal means will not be tolerated - the post will be deleted and/or an infraction will be issued.

Additionally, click here to discuss the one-shot tie-in comic to Young Justice Outsiders!

Reactions: Frontier

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
In regards to the previous discussion about Black Lightning - it also helps this is pretty much the first real use of the character in animation. Not counting his brief appearances on DC Nation or Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, or the teenage version from The Brave and the Bold. I don't mind they're also putting an older hero in the spotlight this time. And as mentioned before, it makes sense and also makes things the more dramatic seeing how these events affect him.

I like Static and would love to see more of him as well. And we still might - we're only 3 episodes into a 26 episodes long Season. Perhaps he will also have an arc or something, looking for a new mentor or whatever else.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Definitely another solid set of episodes with even more huge bombshells but I think some will find them more in the vein of 'classic' YJ. If you want a bit more clues as you gear up to watch the new episodes, my reviews will be updated every Friday morning around this time, and a link will be added to my signature.

Marvelman02

Nov 19, 2011
Canada
I liked 3.04-3.06. I find myself liking the new characters. On the downside, I don't think the animation is as good as it used to be. It's not awful either but not as good as season 1-2. I also don't think Supertown was as majestic as it ought to have been.

"Rescue Op" sets up a few mysteries. I take it the infant in Talia's arms is Damian, and the dude beside Ra's is probably Jason Todd having been resurrected by a Lazarus Pit.

I hope Jade isn't the one leading the League of Shadows. I always liked her as a person, so I hope that is not the path she has chosen for herself.

ShadowStar

Nov 11, 2006
USA
My thoughts on episodes 4-6 (will remove the spoiler tags later, once more people have had the opportunity to watch these episodes):

"Private Security" was all right but I wouldn't rave about it as I'm not a fan of the Harpers. I was more invested in what was going on with Halo, Artemis, Doctor Fate and Zatanna. That was a cool little sub-plot! Wonder how, exactly, Jim Harper has access to the Guardian costume - unless Mal Duncan gave it back to him at some point, or if there's just more than one Guardian outfit!

"Away Mission" was a stronger episode - I liked the pace of this one and I was glad to see that all of the Team members who participated in the episode had dialogue (which was a rarity in season 2). Miss Martian's storyline in this episode was surprising and very cool - I hope this White Martian arc will be explored further in upcoming episodes! It was also pretty cool to see that Bart, Jaime and Traci have formed their own little friend group, and I like the casting of Lauren Tom as Traci!

"Rescue Op" was brilliant and is my favourite of the season thus far. I loved this episode and how not a single moment was wasted in it. It was also the best looking out of episodes 4-6, by far! Visually, it was simply spectacular. So great to see that Dick and Barbara are together, and so awesome to see a recovered Ra's al Ghul as well, not to mention several intriguing cameos... from Talia to the likes of Terra, Damian Wayne and Jason Todd, if indeed those characters are who they appear to be. The brief exchange between Tigress and Ra's was hilarious. Such a cool episode!

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Nov 1, 2013
These episodes were good but again the whole timeskip kinda hurts this show a bit. For example Arsenal is just cool hanging out with the clone Harpers doing private security or Barbara being paralyzed. I don't know something about those plot points being swept under the rug kinda irks me a lot.

Also I had a huge grin on my face when I heard Josh Keaton voicing Black Spider again also bonus points for having a different inflection compared to the webhead.

Another thing, is Halo dying going to be a thing, cause I feel like its going to be a thing.

Last edited:

Marvelman02

Nov 19, 2011
Canada
My thoughts on episodes 4-6 (will remove the spoiler tags later, once more people have had the opportunity to watch these episodes):

"Private Security" was all right but I wouldn't rave about it as I'm not a fan of the Harpers. I was more invested in what was going on with Halo, Artemis, Doctor Fate and Zatanna. That was a cool little sub-plot! Wonder how, exactly, Jim Harper has access to the Guardian costume - unless Mal Duncan gave it back to him at some point, or if there's just more than one Guardian outfit!

"Away Mission" was a stronger episode - I liked the pace of this one and I was glad to see that all of the Team members who participated in the episode had dialogue (which was a rarity in season 2). Miss Martian's storyline in this episode was surprising and very cool - I hope this White Martian arc will be explored further in upcoming episodes! It was also pretty cool to see that Bart, Jaime and Traci have formed their own little friend group, and I like the casting of Lauren Tom as Traci!

"Rescue Op" was brilliant and is my favourite of the season thus far. I loved this episode and how not a single moment was wasted in it. It was also the best looking out of episodes 4-6, by far! Visually, it was simply spectacular. So great to see that Dick and Barbara are together, and so awesome to see a recovered Ra's al Ghul as well, not to mention several intriguing cameos... from Talia to the likes of Terra, Damian Wayne and Jason Todd, if indeed those characters are who they appear to be. The brief exchange between Tigress and Ra's was hilarious. Such a cool episode!
My assumption is that anybody reading the talkback has already seen the season 3 eps but anyhow, I actually agree with you about "Private Security." I am not a fan of the Harpers. For whatever reason they bore me to tears. But it was an okay episode considering they are not my favorite characters.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
I hope Jade isn't the one leading the League of Shadows. I always liked her as a person, so I hope that is not the path she has chosen for herself.
My theory is Deathstroke is the new leader. In the trailer(s), we saw him and who we think is Lady Shiva on Santa Prisca fighting Batman, Metamorpho, and Katana. And if I recall from Invasion, Deathstroke mentioned he had higher ambitions than being the Light's enforcer and wanted a seat at the table. I imagine he took advantage of Ra's' death at the end of Invasion to stage a coup and he successfully took over the League as well as took Ra's position in the Light. Perhaps the League of Shadows is now based on Santa Prisca. Even maybe the basis of the Tar is Venom?

Imo, the episode's a plot is about Dick Grayson and he was just using the Harpers as a surrogate Wally West. Which is why Will caught on and gave him a reality check about growing up, the importance of a team, and being a leader. I'm curious about Jim having the Guardian costume as well but it can't be a coincidence that Mal hasn't appeared yet.

I hope this White Martian arc will be explored further in upcoming episodes!
Presumably. It sounds like Ma'afala'ak cut a deal with the Light.

These episodes were good but again the whole timeskip kinda hurts this show a bit. For example Arsenal is just cool hanging out with the clone Harpers doing private security or Barbara being paralyzed. I don't know something about those plot points being swept under the rug kinda irks me a lot.
The series doesn't exactly reveal everything in linear fashion, anyway. If it doesn't get revealed in future episodes, then it's likely being saved for another season or tie-in material.

Another thing, is Halo dying going to be a thing, cause I feel like its going to be a thing.
I'm confident in guessing she will die a total of 16 times this season.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I thought that these episodes were pretty good. I was kind of relieved that they were less intense than the previous batch of episodes. I didn't want every three episodes to be a blood bath. While I don't know how much I'd really like any of the Harpers, I actually kind of enjoyed Nightwing and the Harpers being security guards. The fact that Crispin Freeman had to voice nearly all of the characters kind of made it funnier than it would have been otherwise. I also liked seeing Will being so much more comfortable with his job than he was during season two. It was just nice to see that he was in a happier place after everything he went through. I also liked how Will called out Nightwing out for missing Wally and for dropping the ball on what to do with their new friends. He clearly still misses Wally and has been avoiding working with a team for this long probably to avoid having that kind of pain again.

Arsenal being fine with working together does seem strange, which is another problem with the time skips in this series. I did kind of laugh at the whole Harper family business thought though. I also forgot that Jim was a clone. It has been quite awhile since I saw season two.

The subplot with Zatana having an hour with her father was surprisingly emotional. In a way, it is nice that she's able to have some time with her father, but with it only being an hour every year, it almost would probably be too painful to really handle. In a way, she loses her father over and over again and can't really move on. Since her father looks so old, I wonder if he's supposed to die this season and someone else becomes Doctor Fate.

The Team going off to New Genesis was pretty neat, although we didn't see a lot of the fights. I was surprised that Megan has a brother from Mars. I don't remember if that was mentioned before in the series, but I could have easily forgotten that. I had to do quick searches on a few characters during these episodes. It was pretty obvious that he wasn't going to turn around, but I liked how Megan did all she could to reach out to him. I suspect finding out that Megan's brother is a villain will be a big shock for the rest of the Team whenever it comes up. I wasn't expecting them to bring back Forager, but he was pretty much unable to stay on his home world after what happened and he seems friendly.

I'm surprised that I don't remember Black Spider since he basically comes off as an evil Spider-Man. Having Josh Keaton voice him is a nice touch in that regard too.

I wasn't expecting Dick and Barbara to become a couple. I really don't remember them spending a lot of time together during the second season. It's nice, but it's also kind of weird since I'm so used to Robin having a crush on Starfire after Teen Titans. They were a couple during BTAS, but that happened a long time ago. Since no one seems to know about Oracle besides Dick, I assume that they'll eventually explain her and why she is paralyzed now. I know about the Killing Joke, but I don't know if they went in that direction for this universe as well.

Dick telling Brion about his sister possibly being forced into the League of Shadows was a pretty stupid move on his part. He has been full of anger throughout these episodes, understandably so, and his powers are still difficult to control. Why would hearing about a theory of where his sister is not make him want to go off charging right away?

I like how Halo has become more emotional over the course of these episodes. She is able speak more clearly and displays more emotions. She does seem to have a connection with Sphere, which does remind me of the theory that the broken Mother Box entered into her dead body. While it was pretty brutal to see Halo die again, the fact that we know she can come back to life weakened the impact a bit. Brion being so upset at her death was still a nice moment since he did charge into a dangerous situation without really thinking things through. I suspect that she's going to die multiple times during this season.

At least they were able to rescue them pretty quickly. Ra not being the leader of Shadows or being part of the Light was a pretty big twist. Artemis asking if her father or sister was the new leader was pretty funny too. It seems like Damian is just an infant right now, so there goes the theory that he'd be joining the Team this season. I didn't think of that soldier being Jason Todd, but that would make a lot of sense. I just wonder why his memories didn't return sooner if that was him. He's been dead since sometime during the first time skip, but I guess seeing someone he would have known before his death would have hit him harder than just being told about people.

One aspect of these episodes that I like is seeing how some of the original Team members have matured. Superboy recognizes and relates to Brion being nothing but rage, but he is calmer now and able to reach out to him as such. Artemis seems to be like an older sister for Halo. Megan reacted to her brother's desire for hate with compassion, although being siblings obviously would have helped with that. While Dick is still grieving over Wally, he was willing to help the new group by basically becoming their leader. It's not exactly like passing the torch to new young heroes, but it does show how much they've changed by getting older.

It's also interesting that Halo has clearly remembered some of her life before she died the first time, but still refuses to say anything. It's possible that she wants to avoid those memories or what it felt like back then, especially with those last few memories, and be a new person. Even after finding out her real name, she wanted to stick with Violet as her secret identity name.

Overall, these episodes were pretty good. They were less intense than the first batch, which I still think was necessary, but they still had some good action, moments and developments for the season.

Harlequinn

Joker's Henchman
Nov 15, 2009
California
I enjoyed the first batch of episodes but I much preferred these three. The pacing was nice, the development was intriguing, and the set up at the end of 6 is very exciting. I'm really curious about what the Light's roster looks like now.

My only growing concern is that the Team will get again suffer from receiving no development. At this point I'll settle for just one arc for any of them.

Also, does anyone else think the humor has gotten a lot better this season?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Arsenal being fine with working together does seem strange, which is another problem with the time skips in this series.
He helped out in "Endgame" so not that much of a stretch.

Since her father looks so old, I wonder if he's supposed to die this season and someone else becomes Doctor Fate.
They've got options, imo. Zatanna, bring back someone from a past season like Madame Xanadu, or bring in a new character.

I was surprised that Megan has a brother from Mars. I don't remember if that was mentioned before in the series, but I could have easily forgotten that.
It was in a tie-in comic, #6 where she said she had 12 sisters and 17 brothers - but that bit of info is moot since it was said when she wasn't telling the whole truth to the Team about herself. But Weisman had stated she only had one brother who was White Martian and most of her siblings were Green, as their mother is a Green (and sister of J'onn) and their father a White.

Even after finding out her real name, she wanted to stick with Violet as her secret identity name.
Hmm, and since she lives in the same house as Will, it would be a nice hat tip to the comic book Halo she took his last name, too. They did a similar thing with Lynn Stewart already.

Also, does anyone else think the humor has gotten a lot better this season?
I think it has, too.

Troy Troodon

Jan 16, 2014
You know for all the hype that this is supposedly darker and more than the last couple season (and it certainly is, I mean so far they haven't pulled punches with the blood, death, and once particularly Sam Ramy-ish scene) nobody seems to swear in this show. Heck, Lightning just said "Dangit"

You'd think they'd use words like damn, hell, or ass at least on occasion, but for whatever reason it still treats itself like it's a kids show, heck the Happy Harbor Gang episode really felt like it was still on Cartoon Network.

It's this kind of mixed messaging that makes it heard to decifer if it really is suppose to be "adult" or if they're still trying to get kids on board, which I'm sure would backfire given the blood and bodily harm.

TheLemsterPju

Jan 17, 2015
I think they went a little overboard on the comedy in 3.04 and 3.05. But my main issue is how much plot points, characters and reveals they're throwing at us in the first six episodes. It's almost a little too rushed. But I'll reserve any more of thoughts on that until I see the whole season.

I'm curious who the acid and "Ironclad" metas were.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

FXX is now starting The Simpsons back at episode 1 for the first time since January, now we'll see if "Stark Raving Dad" will actually be skipped

*UPDATE: Yep, it's being skipped next Monday.
So... Universal Kids is really airing Totally Spies. This makes it the third network in the US to broadcast it. First was Fox/ABC Family, followed by Cartoon Network after ABC Family made it clear that they didn't want to air cartoons that weren't Jetix(or its prototype), and eventually family programming in general(outside of the holidays). I don't know how to feel.
One of the games on Camp Nick is kinda similar to Crystal Maze, which it will later then air on Nickelodeon in future
Me: Oh DARN. I can't believe I'm going to miss the LIVE premiere of Amphibia at 10 because of a stupid doctor's appointment!
*At 9:30, doctor's office calls*
Receptionist: Your appointment has been cancelled. You'll have to reschedule.
Me: :D *gleefully sings Hallelujah from Handel's Messiah*
Just noticed the MTV Movies & TV Awards will be airing on Nick at Nite, they add more networks to simulcast it every year.