"Young Justice: Outsiders" Season Three Talkback, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Rate this season!

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 1 9.1%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• *1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Feeling the aster

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontier

Staff member
I liked this episode. The voices on the Newsgirl Legion were annoying. It's nice to know other people noticed this and it wasn't just my imagination. But it's pointless to complain about this stuff. It's obviously a budget issue. About Terra... in the comics, Tara is a sociopath without an ounce of remorse for the horrible things she does to other people. That is does not seem to be the case here. So, it begs the question, why is she working for Deathstroke? Does she have a bomb planted in her skull or what? Finally, why was Jay Garrick in this episode? Was it just a case of seeing what he's up to? Or, does Jay have a larger role to play in this season? Maybe he will a player in "Elder Wisdom"?
Maybe Joan's health problems will lead to a Flash Family thing :confused:?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I liked the opening scene, totally deja vu moment, from the sky panning down the Atlantic Ocean to a Reach ship.

And starts on December 1. I guess the rest of the season will pump the breaks on skipping around and the remaining episodes will really take place close to each other leading up to New Years.

Got a chuckle out of the Anti-Meta Rally shot reusing that shot from "Misplaced" with Crusher Crock helping agitate the parents outside STAR Labs. And among those social media posts, we saw Celia Windward's one, CWindward16. Loved Beast Boy's callback to the pilot, "Get on board or get out of the way" and Superboy's groan as well as Tigress' realization they got "old."

It was an interesting add that Victor, Violet, Forager, and Tara will also live at the Hub. So both the Harper and Carr houses will get quiet again. Jace makes the most sense I suppose since they can't use someone closely associated with the Justice League.

In addition to 'oh yeah, Wonder Girl's not a household' name, huh -- I had a similar reaction to Garfield announcing his Beast Boy codename. For the former, I would guess Wonder Woman was seen in public more with Troia back in the day and way less with Wonder Girl, but more during covert missions.

Cairo Defrey and Scorpia A'Daire were definitly some obscure picks. But they were involved with this Scorpio criminal organization in a couple comics like Challengers of the Unknown. But with Scorpia, it seems they added in the relation to Whisper.

All the different kinds of social media names also made me chuckle. IKWordsworth, Eyespasm, Flitter. lmao.

I'm not a real pro at identifying VA's during an episode but Troy Baker did a pretty good Patrick Warburton voice as Sheriff Maguire and even Grey Griffin's Gaby sounded like Danica McKellar at first to me.

I called it on Gar's team becoming the Outsiders.
Hey, didn't you like throw out 3 guesses at once? Course one would hit the bullseye in theory. :p

Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Miss Martian and Robin consider bring Gar, as leader of the Outsiders, into their shadow council but decide he is not yet ready.
Well, the whole point of forming the Outsiders was to avoid secrecy. Plus, recall his reaction at the end of Invasion to the big facade - half-warning Dick not to do it again for x amount of time. But my next theory is when Beast Boy finds out about this Anti-Light plan, that could be the last straw. Maybe he might totally break off the team from the League.

But other than that, pretty decent episode. Loved that we finally know what Lagoon Boy is up to.
Yeah, seems like he's not on the Team anymore but could be a member of the Atlantean Royal Guard based on the Atlantean with him in the last shot.

I kind of feel bad for the Team that they're now severely understaffed, even more then when Batman Inc. took a few of their people away. I guess with Terra, Superboy, and M'Gann they have enough "muscle" left, and Halo and Artemis can handle the covert elements well enough, but they might want to start looking for new members again :eek:.
Yeah, its surprising how much upheaval the roster is going through this season.

Is it just me, or does all of Dr. Jace's talk about family sound more creepy now? I'm not sure how comfortable I am keeping her around a bunch of kids.
Well, counting her role in Bedlam, stealing a strand of hair - coupled with this season having a creepy lullaby theme -- yeah.

Whisper O'Daire has her own female band of criminals that she runs around with? Cool :cool:.
Well, no. Those were the 3 Intergang members that got away as they explained at the end. Aquaman and Lagoon Boy caught only Ugly.

I kinda wish they had finally used the Young Justice name or saved the Outsiders for the classic team...but I guess that's not happening :(.
Sometimes the crew will do the obvious things, sometimes they throw a creative curve ball, imo.

What's going on with Joan Garrick? I think I remember her having cancer in the comics...could it be the same here? Oh, Jay :crying:.
Yeah, heh, my initial reaction was "Huh, what? They gonna drop this on us in the middle of the episode and cut away?"

The female Big Words definitely felt like a nod to Velma, especially when she lost her glasses :rolleyes2:.

Although come to think of it, I guess Gabbi was supposed to be Daphne and Tommi Fred? And the mayor did resemble Fred's "dad" from that show.
And Antonia used words like Velma. Like instead of jinkies and what not. Or saying 'spectacles' instead of 'glasses.' Plus, the unveiling of the fake aliens as regular people and Whisper's line was essentially the 'we would've gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling teenagers and your dog!' I thought it was an overall hat tip to Scooby-Doo. It could have even been a full circle nod to that one wrestling DTV that reused some of the YJ girls' designs for a cameo.

I wonder if the Team will not take on the Young Justice name now at some point?
Not the Insiders? :p But yeah, I expect there to be a joke at some point of 'why do they get a name and we don't?'

It came up at one point, where Gabby (I think) questioned what to call the Young Justice League.
I think that was a callback to season 1. Didn't Roy call the Team that?

Lonewolf36

Hey, didn't you like throw out 3 guesses at once? Course one would hit the bullseye in theory. :p

Not the Insiders? :p But yeah, I expect there to be a joke at some point of 'why do they get a name and we don't?'

To be honest i knew it was going to be the Outsiders from early on around Episode 4 or so i was spoiled from someone on another forum also knew about the Newsgirl Legion and the members who where gonna join the Team by same person. Not sure how he knew but he has been 100 percent on spoilers but that was the last of the ones he gave me.

Insiders sound like a team that Simon Stagg would form :)

I been thinking on who the other unknown Leaguers could be. Maxima and Vartox were in the comics and would be helpful to the League's space mission. Major Force is another character from the comic that the League shown interest in recruiting but Captain Atom was holding them back. Onyx is a character mentioned as going to appear but has not yet so maybe she will be revealed as a Leaguer.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
To be honest i knew it was going to be the Outsiders from early on around Episode 4 or so i was spoiled from someone on another forum also knew about the Newsgirl Legion and the members who where gonna join the Team by same person. Not sure how he knew but he has been 100 percent on spoilers but that was the last of the ones he gave me.
Bummer. I would have hated to have know all that so early on.

I been thinking on who the other unknown Leaguers could be. Maxima and Vartox were in the comics and would be helpful to the League's space mission. Major Force is another character from the comic that the League shown interest in recruiting but Captain Atom was holding them back. Onyx is a character mentioned as going to appear but has not yet so maybe she will be revealed as a Leaguer.
At least 8 designations and Ice, Batwoman, Hardware, Katana, and Fire slim that down to 3... maybe Metamorpho was one. Blue Devil's (still) another possibility. Yeah, curious whatever came of Kylstar and his motley crew, that included those 3.

Frontier

Staff member
And starts on December 1. I guess the rest of the season will pump the breaks on skipping around and the remaining episodes will really take place close to each other leading up to New Years.
Maybe instead of a ball drop and making out, everyone gets infected by the Anti-Life equation :eek:.
It was an interesting add that Victor, Violet, Forager, and Tara will also live at the Hub. So both the Harper and Carr houses will get quiet again. Jace makes the most sense I suppose since they can't use someone closely associated with the Justice League.
Hey, maybe this means Gar and Victor will finally get to interact? Who better to bring out the hero in Cyborg ;).
In addition to 'oh yeah, Wonder Girl's not a household' name, huh -- I had a similar reaction to Garfield announcing his Beast Boy codename. For the former, I would guess Wonder Woman was seen in public more with Troia back in the day and way less with Wonder Girl, but more during covert missions.
You do kind of have to wonder what the dynamic with Donna is since we really don't know much about that period or when Donna was on The Team.

Was she basically like the original generation of sidekicks for Wonder Woman even though she came relatively later? Is there a relationship with Cassie? The Newsgirl Legion seemed to think Diana with a sidekick was a fresh idea.

A part of me thinks Cassie was probably itching to be more public for a while now. Diana might have even put her on the Team to keep her safe under the supervision of other heroes closer to her age and with covert ops stuff that wouldn't necessarily always require busting heads.
All the different kinds of social media names also made me chuckle. IKWordsworth, Eyespasm, Flitter. lmao.
Well, its a fictional setting. Why not have fun with it :anime:?
I'm not a real pro at identifying VA's during an episode but Troy Baker did a pretty good Patrick Warburton voice as Sheriff Maguire and even Grey Griffin's Gaby sounded like Danica McKellar at first to me.
I thought for sure that was Danica McKellar as Gaby too, but Grey was the only main Scooby VA in the episode, so of course she would voice her characters stand-in :rolleyes2: .

I didn't even realize Baker was doing a Patrick Warburton impression. When I figured he was playing Scrapper (or knowing this take, Scrapper's dad), I just figured he was doing his own take on his accent o_O.
Well, the whole point of forming the Outsiders was to avoid secrecy. Plus, recall his reaction at the end of Invasion to the big facade - half-warning Dick not to do it again for x amount of time. But my next theory is when Beast Boy finds out about this Anti-Light plan, that could be the last straw. Maybe he might totally break off the team from the League.
Well, they're not really "Outsiders" if they're still partially on the inside :ack:.
Yeah, seems like he's not on the Team anymore but could be a member of the Atlantean Royal Guard based on the Atlantean with him in the last shot.
It's always nice to see the Aquafamily members remembered :).
Well, no. Those were the 3 Intergang members that got away as they explained at the end. Aquaman and Lagoon Boy caught only Ugly.
I know, I just assumed given they worked together here that they might have had some kind of grouping together within Intergang. Bad girls have to stick together after all :evil:.
Yeah, heh, my initial reaction was "Huh, what? They gonna drop this on us in the middle of the episode and cut away?"
Especially when we haven't seen Jay in forever...
And Antonia used words like Velma. Like instead of jinkies and what not. Or saying 'spectacles' instead of 'glasses.' Plus, the unveiling of the fake aliens as regular people and Whisper's line was essentially the 'we would've gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling teenagers and your dog!' I thought it was an overall hat tip to Scooby-Doo. It could have even been a full circle nod to that one wrestling DTV that reused some of the YJ girls' designs for a cameo.
As a Scooby-Doo fan, I feel like I should've caught more of these references (or at least put more emphasis on them), but I was kind of distracted by the gender-flipped Newsboy Legion aspect :sweat:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Maybe instead of a ball drop and making out, everyone gets infected by the Anti-Life equation :eek:.
Yeah, they didn't introduce that machine inside the Orphanage for no reason... plus a season finale supposedly titled "Nevermore" -- but let's not freak out just yet, heh heh.

Was she basically like the original generation of sidekicks for Wonder Woman even though she came relatively later? Is there a relationship with Cassie? The Newsgirl Legion seemed to think Diana with a sidekick was a fresh idea.
Yep. I'm still super curious about Troia and Jason Todd's debuts during the first timeskip.

A part of me thinks Cassie was probably itching to be more public for a while now. Diana might have even put her on the Team to keep her safe under the supervision of other heroes closer to her age and with covert ops stuff that wouldn't necessarily always require busting heads.
Agreed. Plus, Cassie's mom also wanted her out of the limelight and/or was strict about her activities on the Team. I believe it was mentioned before the JL contingent left Happy Harbor for Rimbor during Invasion.

I didn't even realize Baker was doing a Patrick Warburton impression. When I figured he was playing Scrapper (or knowing this take, Scrapper's dad), I just figured he was doing his own take on his accent o_O.
It sounded like Baker doing Warbuton's -- hmm, Brock from Venture Bros. for example. To me at least. heh.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
I'm kinda torn on this episode, on one hand this episode is season 1 Young Justice and I mean that as a compliment, after episodes with A & B plots, family drama and getting ambushed its really nice to see young superheroes superheroing and I especially enjoy each team member using their skills and powers to help with the situation. I know the stuff I mentioned is standard superhero stuff but after the last three episodes it felt kinda welcomed.

On the other hand the voice acting is kinda bad and I felt like we could do without the Mayor character(seriously they just broke a window, calm down). Also insert "me complaining about underdeveloped characters here"

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
It sounded like Baker doing Warbuton's -- hmm, Brock from Venture Bros. for example. To me at least. heh.

It seemed like a reference to his character from Mystery Incorporated, Sheriff Bronson Stone. The mayor's design also resembled Mayor Jones in that show, and he also is the father of the Fred counterpart (Tommi).

Frontier

Staff member
If The Outsiders really catch on, I'm curious if there will be a place for the Team moving forward as far as membership.

Like, the Outsiders are now a social media sensation and the first public teen Superhero team on Earth-16. They're probably going to inspire even more Metahuman teens into becoming heroes or using their powers for good, but will these kids want to use these powers to serve a covert ops team or to have fun adventures in the limelight with The Outsiders? Especially when on the surface it looks like they don't have to answer to adults.

I mean, just look at what most of the Team did when offered the opportunity to be on a team like the Outsiders. Almost everybody jumped ship.

It's not like the original Team even set out to be a covert ops team, since they were already very public, they just wanted the League to take them seriously. Now it seems we're at the reverse of that situation.

It seems like the only chance the Team currently has of really gaining new membership is for members of the League to take on new protege's that they can then ship off to the Team or the Team leadership brings people on they've been mentoring.

Also, is it a pre-requisite for The Outsiders that the members have public identities since they'll be out in the open and in the spotlight? Gar is a celebrity, Brion is a public figure, The Reach had Jaime out himself, Bart mentioned that he never really did the secret identity thing, and Cassie and Virgil don't even wear masks (and we've never really seen them have much of a civilian life) while Forager at least doesn't need to hide his alien form. I wonder if that precludes someone from Batman's side joining up with them.

I also just realized Cassie is living up to her mentor in being the only founding female member of a Superhero team, although at least she's not going to be the only girl living at the Hub ;).
It seemed like a reference to his character from Mystery Incorporated, Sheriff Bronson Stone. The mayor's design also resembled Mayor Jones in that show, and he also is the father of the Fred counterpart (Tommi).
Although compared to Troy Baker doing his best Patrick Warburton, Jason Marsden didn't even try to sound like Gary Cole :p.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
"First Impression" was pretty cool. It's nice seeing Gar's Outsiders off to a good start. I liked how he presented the case for the team to exist in the first place. There were some good debates in there. It's also kind of funny seeing how their headquarters is basically sponsored by their enemy.

The alien invasion was a nice enough plot. I wasn't really in a hurry to see the Reach again, so I was kind of relieved by the twist ending. It's also nice seeing more of Intergang, I always liked the idea of that organization and kind of missed them on this show.

The Newsgirl Legion was a pretty amusing addition though I admit Gaby got kind of annoying. I did like the nods to the Scooby Gang, I kind of picked up on what they were going for once "Big Words" lost her glasses. I was thinking that looked familiar for some reason. Though I was curious if they would bring in a Shaggy counterpart, too. :p I also appreciated the allusions to Mystery Inc. in particular.

Artemis had some neat moments here. She's not that "old". Miss Martian telling her to behave. Her admitting she'll miss Halo and Terra. The more motherly aspect of conforting Halo. All cool stuff, and more enjoyable than any of the potential romantic sub-plot with Will she had recently.

I also liked how the ending explained a few more things about the mission in this episode. All in all, a very entertaining story. I don't really have much else to add, really. I am looking forward to whatever happens next.

Frontier

Staff member
The Newsgirl Legion was a pretty amusing addition though I admit Gaby got kind of annoying. I did like the nods to the Scooby Gang, I kind of picked up on what they were going for once "Big Words" lost her glasses. I was thinking that looked familiar for some reason. Though I was curious if they would bring in a Shaggy counterpart, too. :p I also appreciated the allusions to Mystery Inc. in particular.
By process of elimination I'd guess female Scrapper (if there is one) is the Shaggy counterpart, which is kind of hilarious :p.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
If The Outsiders really catch on, I'm curious if there will be a place for the Team moving forward as far as membership...It seems like the only chance the Team currently has of really gaining new membership is for members of the League to take on new protege's that they can then ship off to the Team or the Team leadership brings people on they've been mentoring.
Like Halo let on, she wasn't ready to be a public figure and presumably those who stayed on the covert team, too.

I wonder if that precludes someone from Batman's side joining up with them.
Probably Batman. His team is essentially the covert Team but with no oversight by the League. Can't really see any of them joining the Outsiders aside from Robin but he's Batman's field leader so slim... and we haven't really gotten into the mindset of those who left with Batman or if they're even publicly known as well. Again, this is another team in Earth-16 that suffers from not having it's own spin-off series. They've vanished from the show aside from Batman's cameo this week.

By process of elimination I'd guess female Scrapper (if there is one) is the Shaggy counterpart, which is kind of hilarious :p.
Sheriff Maguire probably has a daughter and owns a Great Dane. ;)

Troy Troodon

From what I’ve seen in this episode, it seems they’re making it evident that Halo would only remove her hijab around other women. That still sort of confuses me to an extent.

Dudley

Staff member
Great episode. Another super Team is running, and a pretty cool one at that.
I’m seriously going to need a chart of all these split branches that our heroes are running. I’m kind of losing track. I’ve never seen a cartoon try to juggle so much before.

From what I’ve seen in this episode, it seems they’re making it evident that Halo would only remove her hijab around other women. That still sort of confuses me to an extent.

I recommend doing research concerning the purpose and meaning behind the hijab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts