"Young Justice" News & Discussion Thread, Part 33 (Spoilers)

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
-12:38: Greg confirms generally Outsiders was the season 3 they envisioned from early years. Some details that changed were the refugee crisis, the plan for Beast Boy, and use of social media.
Interesting. I wonder if, had the show gone on uninterrupted back in the early 2010s, it would've altered the plans Beware the Batman had for its own version of the Outsiders. I'm not sure if DC would've allowed two versions of the same team, but I could be wrong.

-17:15: The audio play came from a desire to get some new material out there, were initially asked to set it during season 4 to which they declined but felt a prequel to was fair game so they could throw in hints and easter eggs. Contrary to how it's normally done, they had to figure out which actors were available on FanDome then write the lay, started from a list of 14 actors, then broke basics of story with Brandon Vietti, had little time to write it so he stayed up even later than he already does
I think it's probably the best of their Young Justice Audio Plays and probably my second favorite overall (first being the Spectacular Spider-Man/Gargoyles crossover). Pretty good for something that had to work with little time and so many limitations.

-27:38: Tigress becoming the new leader of the Team felt organic after Batgirl was for a time and after Miss Martian and everyone in the Anti-Light stepping back from being leaders and going back to being soldiers. At this point, Tigress is imminently qualified to be the leader. Artemis is 25 years old in season 4.
It was long overdue. Her inviting Roy back into the Team also immediately won me over her leadership.

the greenman

Interesting. I wonder if, had the show gone on uninterrupted back in the early 2010s, it would've altered the plans Beware the Batman had for its own version of the Outsiders. I'm not sure if DC would've allowed two versions of the same team, but I could be wrong.

Did they ever say they really planned to do Outsiders? I think YJ loosely adapted the actual comic (and honestly pretty well), but as we know it still wasn't the Outsiders. Though, I think I get what you mean. In other words, they altered stuff based on BtB. We know BtB certainly SEEMED to be leading to a Outsiders team. Though it's possible they were just going to introduce all of them over the course of the series.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
I guess it would've depended. Beware seemed to be building up to a more classic Outsiders setup than the comics (just with the addition of Oracle and Man-Bat) while YJ pivoted to its own thing as a Teen Titans stand-in. Tobias Whale appeared enough in Beware that I could believe Black Lightning would've shown u pat some point.

Geo-Force, Halo, and Black Lightning were fairly major characters as far as focus on the actual comic Outsiders is concerned, but Katana and Metamorpho only got one episode and no interaction with their comic teammates, and Looker basically just made a cameo.

At the very most I could see DC maybe suggesting YJ go with a different name to avoid redundancy/overlap. Which hilariously might've lead them to give up and just use the "Young Justice" name :p.

the greenman

I guess it would've depended. Beware seemed to be building up to a more classic Outsiders setup than the comics (just with the addition of Oracle and Man-Bat) while YJ pivoted to its own thing as a Teen Titans stand-in. Tobias Whale appeared enough in Bewarethat I could believe Black Lightning would've shown u pat some point.

Geo-Force, Halo, and Black Lightning were fairly major characters as far as focus on the actual comic Outsiders is concerned, but Katana and Metamorpho only got one episode and no interaction with their comic teammates, and Looker basically just made a cameo.

At the very most I could see DC maybe suggesting YJ go with a different name to avoid redundancy/overlap. Which hilariously might've lead them to give up and just use the "Young Justice" name :p.[/b][/B]

Oracle & Man-Bat on Outsiders in BtB? Hmmm. Okay, I just wouldn't say they would be part of a team. A true Oracle would've made that series darker than it already was. If a mod wants to cut this into Beware the Batman talkback, it's fine. Cause I would like to go deeper, but don't want to derail this YJ thread.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk[/b][/b]

ShadowStar

Part 2 of Whelmed podcast's interview with W&V.
-9:57: Greg clarifies the layout of Lucas Carr's property and confirms the interior of Lucas's house has not been seen yet.

-12:38: Greg confirms generally Outsiders was the season 3 they envisioned from early years. Some details that changed were the refugee crisis, the plan for Beast Boy, and use of social media.

-17:15: The audio play came from a desire to get some new material out there, were initially asked to set it during season 4 to which they declined but felt a prequel to was fair game so they could throw in hints and easter eggs. Contrary to how it's normally done, they had to figure out which actors were available on FanDome then write the lay, started from a list of 14 actors, then broke basics of story with Brandon Vietti, had little time to write it so he stayed up even later than he already does

-25:47: Commends what Jason has done with Forager

-27:38: Tigress becoming the new leader of the Team felt organic after Batgirl was for a time and after Miss Martian and everyone in the Anti-Light stepping back from being leaders and going back to being soldiers. At this point, Tigress is imminently qualified to be the leader. Artemis is 25 years old in season 4.
I like the fact that they discussed their 5-season plan as well. Greg Weisman said that it's now "more than 5", but it's still good to know that we're getting closer to reaching the original target for the series. Perhaps if Phantoms is very successful on HBO Max, we can have that fifth season. The Darkseid arc will probably extend beyond season 5 in some form, but the more ground the show can cover in terms of its "plan", the better.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I like the fact that they discussed their 5-season plan as well. Greg Weisman said that it's now "more than 5", but it's still good to know that we're getting closer to reaching the original target for the series. Perhaps if Phantoms is very successful on HBO Max, we can have that fifth season. The Darkseid arc will probably extend beyond season 5 in some form, but the more ground the show can cover in terms of its "plan", the better.
Agreed. I'm guessing originally season 5 is the culmination of everything and the all-out war alluded to in Vandal's back story episode "Evolution" but now it seems like they have moved it up a few seasons or season 6 and on are the aftermath/new threat.

I also liked their idea of the audio play "The Prize" as a way to get new material out there. It's a good compromise since the comic book tie-in series was never renewed aside from the one digital comic. Now I'm kinda hoping they do one for every convention appearance. I mean, it's kinda odd Harley Quinn is getting a comic but not YJ. Or a few years ago, the original DC Super Hero Girls had a novel series. I feel like Weisman and Vietti could easily write a tie-in novel series along with some of the other writers. Those books could easily help fill in the time skips. They'd have my money asap.

Frontier

Staff member
It's hard for me to imagine a Weisman show coming full-circle (not that I expect a decisive conclusion) but I guess there's only so long you can keep a Darkseid/Light plotline going o_O.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Do we intel on a time skip for this season?
Just implications from the audio play. They kept saying it's been 10 years, so it looks like a 1 year skip to Team Year 10 (or 2020). Then in that podcast interview I posted yesterday, Weisman said Artemis is 25 in Phantoms, she was 15 in season one/Team Year Zero.

A refresher in case anyone needs it:
-Season one was July 4, Team Year Zero (2010) to January 1, Team Year One (2011)
-Invasion was January 1 to July 5, Team Year Six (2016)
-Tie-in comics spanned from stories set in Team Year Zero, Team Year Five, and Team Year Six.
-Legacy was February 16-18, Team Year Five (2015)
-Outsiders was July 4, Team Year Eight (2018) to February 28, Team Year Nine (2019)
-The Prize took place on February 23 but no year stated, but seems like Team Year Ten (2020)
-So my guess is Phantoms starts 5 days later on February 28, Team Year Ten (2020)

Last edited:

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I mean, it's kinda odd Harley Quinn is getting a comic but not YJ. Or a few years ago, the original DC Super Hero Girls had a novel series. I feel like Weisman and Vietti could easily write a tie-in novel series along with some of the other writers. Those books could easily help fill in the time skips. They'd have my money asap.

I think the only animated tie-in comic they currently have is DC Super Hero Girls, and even that seems be released as graphic novels instead of monthly issues. It's honestly kind of weird how not even 10 years ago, every currently-running DC cartoon had its own tie-in.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I think the only animated tie-in comic they currently have is DC Super Hero Girls, and even that seems be released as graphic novels instead of monthly issues. It's honestly kind of weird how not even 10 years ago, every currently-running DC cartoon had its own tie-in.
The Harley Quinn comic was just announced, it's not released yet but yeah, seems like with DCSHG they're sticking to GNs after the digital minis finished pre-around the start of the covid shutdown last year.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Kind of off-topic, but I'm bummed they didn't do a Justice League Action tie-in comic. I think it could've been pretty fun (like the JLU or BTBaTB comic)...
You were bummed about that, but lol, when Justice League Action busted out animated shorts, I was bummed YJ never got any. heh heh.

SweetShop209

I think the idea of DC shows getting shorts (or are shorts) only happened during the second half of the 2010s, what with the CW shorts becoming DVD movies with extra footage, Justice League Action getting the shorts, and there's of course the DC Superhero Girls franchise.

Last edited:

the greenman

Enter Rocket. Also, it's a shame that Tempest and Aquagirl were under-used, though this is a very "busy" show so it's understandable.
Honestly, I do agree with you on Rocket. A character who had a sidekick of her own I believe. Not only her, but in the Milestone-verse Hardware had a sidekick as well.

I might have to ask what the purpose of putting in Holocaust as a cameo villain. It's cool for us that know "Inside Baseball" on Milestone and DC in general, but in terms of the series it felt very fan-service. Similarly to Metamorpho and Katana popping up & disappearing. IMHO, I would rather a name-drop than a cameo.

Now I do GET Holocaust was practically Static's mentor & arch nemesis. Though on that same token, that can be said the same for Alva and Hardware. Sorry to spill all this on this thread. Jist spouting my disappointment on that.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

MeTV went off the air for about 15 minutes, right during one of the last Svengoolie segments up until it was time for the news (which I get in my area instead of Star Trek).
Well Bakugan was made in Canada too, so...
I made another temporary rebrand now, this time for two weeks, to celebrate the 15th anniversary of CN City's European introduction (21 April 2006).

Includes a 2004-styled profile picture and a banner featuring the 2010-present ITC Lubalin font and a checkerboard-styled logo.

I also plan to occasionally post in the 10th international CN thread, and City era CN CEE schedules.
man i can't wait for The CW's version of the Powerpuff Girls

Featured Posts