"Young Justice" News & Discussion Thread, Part 32 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontier

Staff member
Perhaps, fits the time frame of those designations. At one time I was even thinking Karen Beecher and Barbara Gordon. Like they started out in support roles much like Mal then took up a costumed identity.
I wonder if sidekicks get their own designation before they join the Team...

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I wonder if sidekicks get their own designation before they join the Team...
Like the Players arc demonstrated, Blue Beetle was quickly given a A-designation because an incident transpired just as Nightwing and Wonder Girl were in the middle of trying to recruit him to the Team. Then he got his B-designation after it was over and he accepted. And of course, Zatanna, Mal, Bart, Virgil, Eduardo all had A-designations before becoming part of the Team/Outsiders. And Freddy and Mary did, too, but that was likely because of their powers like with Billy.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Fits. For example, for Outsiders, around April 2017 - Chris Copeland joined the crew as a storyboard artist, Khary Payton hinted at the start of voice recording in April, one of the first posts about recording was Alyson Stoner on May 31, 2017, and Diana Ling started storyboarding on June 9, 2017. For season 4, Chris Jones said he starts storyboarding in December. Recording starting in October gels with past precedent set by Outsiders production. So going by that, things are going smoothly.

Parker-Shepherd

Nice to see things are going along smoothly :).

The plot thickens! Scripts and storyboards are usually the first part of production in animated with recording being second then everything goes off to the animation department. One of the first parts of the animation process is sketches and concept art, some artists go through different designs before they finally decide on one that fits.

If I'm not mistaken Greg said during recording sessions, they have a lot of material that gets left on the cutting roof floor.

Lord Sidious

Wow so the DVDs and Blu-ray’s are NOT even sold on stores???

went to every physical store from Target to Best Buy and No season 3 in new releases.

they have Doom Patrol and Titans and basically every TV shows out there except of course this one.

It’s no wonder Amazon are killing these stores.

Parker-Shepherd

Wow so the DVDs and Blu-ray’s are NOT even sold on stores???

went to every physical store from Target to Best Buy and No season 3 in new releases.

they have Doom Patrol and Titans and basically every TV shows out there except of course this one.

It’s no wonder Amazon are killing these stores.

Yikes! And just recently an investigation came out about how unsafe Amazon's warehouses/shipping depots are.

But in other news, today's the 9th anniversary of the premiere of Young Justice on cartoon network.

Anybody feel old after realizing this?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I did a quick check and my local Best Buy only had the DVD for sale in-store. I don't off hand who handled Titans and Doom Patrol but the Outsider Blu-ray was handled by Warner Archive so that might factor into why these are mainly being sold online. Then again, I've only went to a Best Buy once or twice this whole year.

Lord Sidious

Yeah it’s weird. It’s really the first time this happened. Been buying since JL Dvd sets. And has to buy online on Best Buy and then pick it in the actual stores saying they only have 1 left while Target and Walmart Onlines saying they have 4 left for pick up. Most of them in stores says limited stock.

I guess DC is really not promoting this

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah it’s weird. It’s really the first time this happened. Been buying since JL Dvd sets. And has to buy online on Best Buy and then pick it in the actual stores saying they only have 1 left while Target and Walmart Onlines saying they have 4 left for pick up. Most of them in stores says limited stock.

I guess DC is really not promoting this
Considering the fans are credited with getting the show back, it's up to the fans to promote it in addition to whatever DC and WBA are doing which may seem minuscule to some. While it's not an excuse, whenever I walk into these big box stores - I am always a little surprised they still have a DVD/Blu section. I and I'm sure everyone has watched those sections shrink as the years have passed.

ShadowStar

I was just wondering what everyone's favourite musical cues are from season 3. Which musical moments stood out to all of you?

My personal favourite is probably the send-up of the Young Justice theme at the end of "Princes All", when Nightwing's team gathers together in Metropolis. I love it!

Other musical cues that stand out to me are:
  • The M'gann/M'comm 'memories' sequence in "Away Mission"
  • Lobo's entrance in "Home Fires"
  • The forlorn music when Miss Martian embraces Beast Boy at the end of "Nightmare Monkeys"
  • The infiltration of the Metahuman fight ring in "True Heroes"
  • The theme for the Outsiders, especially the big blasts of it in both "Influence" and "Illusion of Control"
  • The montage music at the beginning of "Illusion of Control"
  • The opening scene of "Into the Breach", when Cyborg talks to the Outsiders
  • The montage music at the end of both "Quiet Conversations" and "Nevermore"
There really hasn't been enough talk of the quality of the music in this season.

Lord Sidious

Hope the DVDs sells well so they will release Season 4 and hopefully Season 5 on Blu-Ray DvDs.

Anyways, here’s my guess for the new JL designation members:

27. Aquaman Kaldur
28. Blue Devil
29. Fire
30. Ice
31. Elongated Man
32. Magog
33. Batwoman
34. Hardware
35. Katana
36. Steel

ShadowStar

I was thinking about some of the characters introduced in this season and was just wondering whether there is any evidence in the show that Greg Weisman and Brandon Vietti are now following the New 52 or DC Rebirth versions of the newly-introduced characters' origins? Take Troia as an example: she seems to be an Amazon, rather than an orphan girl rescued from a fire by Diana/Wonder Woman. Isn't this origin in line with the New 52 or DC Rebirth, since Troia is likely a "magical duplicate" of Wonder Woman here? As you can probably tell, I haven't really been keeping up with the comics - but I know enough about them to recognise that there seem to be some parallels here, like the inclusion of Harper Row, who was a relatively recent addition to the comics. Could there be a mandate from DC Comics to adapt the New 52 or Rebirth versions of new additions to seasons 3 and 4? I hope there's some evidence to disprove this hypothesis, but I'm struggling to come up with it...

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I was thinking about some of the characters introduced in this season and was just wondering whether there is any evidence in the show that Greg Weisman and Brandon Vietti are now following the New 52 or DC Rebirth versions of the newly-introduced characters' origins? Take Troia as an example: she seems to be an Amazon, rather than an orphan girl rescued from a fire by Diana/Wonder Woman. Isn't this origin in line with the New 52 or DC Rebirth, since Troia is likely a "magical duplicate" of Wonder Woman here? As you can probably tell, I haven't really been keeping up with the comics - but I know enough about them to recognise that there seem to be some parallels here, like the inclusion of Harper Row, who was a relatively recent addition to the comics. Could there be a mandate from DC Comics to adapt the New 52 or Rebirth versions of new additions to seasons 3 and 4? I hope there's some evidence to disprove this hypothesis, but I'm struggling to come up with it...
The one thing that popped in my head when you asked what was an Ask Greg answer back in March 2017 where he said he was "mostly reading DC Rebirth titles as potential research" when someone asked him what comics he was reading that wasn't DC or Marvel. Then in the 2018 TV Guide SDCC edition, of course, was the first time he mentioned they pulled from the Barr-Aparo Outsiders and New Teen Titans. And a little from Wildstorm and Milestone imprints like with Kaizen Gamorra and Hardware respectively. A few bits from his run on Captain Atom of course. I wouldn't say it's a mandate, just they expanded the scope of their resources upon returning to production on the series to Rebirth and are still pulling from different eras.

Frontier

Staff member
We really don't have much of a basis for Donna's backstory. We don't even know if the name "Donna Troy" is even a thing, or if she's always just been "Troia."

She's obviously been raised by Amazons but that could be because Diana took her in as a child from Man's World like in the comics. Again, there's a lot we don't know about the Earth-16 version, but I can tell you from what I have actually read that she seems very different from the Rebirth versions.

I think another obvious Rebirth influence is Jon Kent being a thing.

One thing I was wondering about, mandate-wise, is if DC wouldn't let them make Cassandra Cain Batgirl. They were able to do Barbara Gordon as Oracle, but it just always seemed weird that they had Cass as "Orphan" (not a fan-favorite name, I can tell you that) instead of just introducing her as the new Batgirl like in the comics.

They said it was just so Cass and Steph could standout on their own terms in their own identities, but that's never really stopped the show before and they barely did anything with them anyways. Being Batgirl is a major part of Cassandra Cain's story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts