"Young Justice" News & Discussion Thread, Part 31 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'm not sure how they could fit in Wally's return in the current storyline either. They might throw some hints that he's still alive in the second half of the season. I'm still kind of expecting them to end season three with either Wally's return or heavily implying that he is alive in order to get people more hooked and eager for a fourth season.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Weisman and Vietti are rather adamant that Wally died and that will stick which is why I thought a clone might be an exception to their stance. But with "Nightmare Monkeys" they showed another way he could appear again.

ShadowStar

It seems like Gar and Tara are fated to meet after all. Is it a coincidence Gar's dating a petite blonde royal and is destined to fall in love with another petite blonde royal? I guess Gar has a type?

Why would Gar and Perdita break up though? They seem happy together. Hope Gar manages to avoid Tara... If they’re going to make the Terra storyline tragic, they already have Geo-Force around and can focus on his reaction instead of Beast Boy’s.

Marvelman02 said:
Now, about Wally... Nothing suggests his return is imminent. I don't see how Wally returning would fit in with the current story-lines. I still think Wally will return someday, possibly after Artemis has already moved on with her life.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a special episode set before the events of season 2... That would be a great way to showcase Wally again.

Frontier

Staff member
Why would Gar and Perdita break up though? They seem happy together. Hope Gar manages to avoid Tara... If they’re going to make the Terra storyline tragic, they already have Geo-Force around and can focus on his reaction instead of Beast Boy’s.
Yeah, Gar seems to have a pretty strong and healthy relationship with Perdita. I think the last thing he needs is to get involved with Tara :sweat:.

I do agree that the main thrust of the Terra arc on this show will probably be with Brion. That's kind of what I'm looking at as far as the creators doing something different with the Judas Contract arc this time around.

the greenman

Yeah, Gar seems to have a pretty strong and healthy relationship with Perdita. I think the last thing he needs is to get involved with Tara :sweat:.

I do agree that the main thrust of the Terra arc on this show will probably be with Brion. That's kind of what I'm looking at as far as the creators doing something different with the Judas Contract arc this time around.
Could be a future love triangle. Especially if they give Terra more scenes with the team. It would be seriously tragic if Gar somehow loses both Terra and the Princess. Or, if in this universe, Gar is forced to kill Terra for some reason.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I don't think Gar is destined to fall in love with Tara on Earth-16. I would prefer it if they don't end up together here, too.

It would be kind of funny (and sad) if when Wally comes back, people are going to think he's only a clone after all the stuff they went through.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I am looking forward to the rest of the Team meeting Geo-Force, Halo, Forager. Though the teaser sort of implies they want to stay where they are and even help train Victor and Terra. Should be entertaining when both teams finally meet.

Dorko

Agreed, it looks like Black Manta, Mallah, and Captain Boomerang are her Suicide Squad. And Manta is still nursing a grudge against Tigress. heh. Wonder if Deadshot will appear, too, since they debuted him in the Players arc of the tie-in comics.
I was briefly confused as to why Mallah would be on the Suicide Squad when he has no history with the comic book version of the team...until I recalled he's been languishing in prison for the last two years while the criminal conspiracy he was a high ranking member of has moved on without him.

As a huge fan of the Suicide Squad, I am cautiously optimistic about their debut on YJ:O. While I wouldn't call more recent portrayals of the Squad bad, they have definitely flanderized key aspects of the team to the story's detriment:
  • In the original series, the Suicide Squad was largely voluntary. Only first timers or untrustworthy volunteers (like Captain Boomerang) had to wear explosive bracelets on missions and, though they were recruited from and based out of Belle Reve, long-tenured members weren't treated as prisoners - Captain Boomerang had an apartment offsite (until he messed it up by pulling jobs as Mirror Master) and Deadshot could be called upon to gear up and deal with super-threats to Belle Reve (the Female Furies and Batman within the first year of the title).
  • Members like Rick Flag, Black Orchid, Nemesis, Bronze Tiger, Shade the Changing Man, Nightshade, and Vixen were 100% volunteers who could leave at any time.
  • "Task Force X" was not synonymous with "Suicide Squad". It was an umbrella organization devoted to dealing with super-powered threats afters the somewhat forcible disbandment of the JSA and revived by Waller in the 80s. It "originally" consisted of the Suicide Squad (soldiers) and Argent (spies) but the 80s version included the Suicide Squad (as we know it), Checkmate (original version), and Project Peacemaker. It wasn't disbanded until Kobra played the various competing organizations (including the branches of Task Force X, the Force of July, and Project Atom) against each other, during the Janus Directive crossover, with lethal consequences.
I could go on (and desperately want to) but you more than get the point. I'm cautiously optimistic because one of the writers on that Janus Directive crossover was one Greg Weisman. If any showrunner is going to be intimately familiar with the fictional intelligence landscape of the DCU as a result of the Suicide Squad's creation, it's Greg Weisman. Between the various League factions, the Light, Project Atom (highly implied by elements from the tie-in comics and Ask Greg), and now the Suicide Squad, we're treading dangerously close to Janus Directive territory as is.

I wonder how people would react if a Wally clone shows up.
You're a monster.

Though that'd make for a great Dark Flash/Walter West arc.

Yeah, Geo-Force has historically been shafted vis-a-vis the emotional fallout of his sister being a terrible person - the Titans even lied to him in the original story! It would be pretty cool to see it happen here, especially since he's gotten more screen time than Gar this season.

Frontier

Staff member
I was briefly confused as to why Mallah would be on the Suicide Squad when he has no history with the comic book version of the team...until I recalled he's been languishing in prison for the last two years while the criminal conspiracy he was a high ranking member of has moved on without him.
Kind of curious if Brain might be on the Squad too if Mallah is there. Be amusing to see so many former members of the Light reduced to Government stooges, basically :p.

the greenman

I'm more interested in seeing if more Batman villains are involved with the Light. For Bats to essentially dump the JL in favor in forming his own team, plus signs he might be aware of things directly connected to him and Gotham, it's only a matter of time.

Frontier

Staff member
I'm more interested in seeing if more Batman villains are involved with the Light. For Bats to essentially dump the JL in favor in forming his own team, plus signs he might be aware of things directly connected to him and Gotham, it's only a matter of time.
He didn't really dump the JL though, it was a concerted plan to distract the Light and give the heroes more freedom to operate.

ShadowStar

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Joker this season. (Not as a member of the Light, but as an operative.)

Marvelman02

Weisman and Vietti are rather adamant that Wally died and that will stick which is why I thought a clone might be an exception to their stance. But with "Nightmare Monkeys" they showed another way he could appear again.

Yojimbo, can you point me to a quote where either Greg or Brandon said Wally is definitively dead? I have my doubts about this because it is the kind of question to which Greg would probably reply with "no spoilers".

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts