"Young Justice" News & Discussion Thread, Part 31 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medinnus

Staff member
Overall, it's gotten pretty quiet since the focus will probably be on the live action Doom Patrol series.

I would love to see what the usage statistics look like; while I am really only there to support Young Justice, I wish there was a way to let the site know that the only thing of value that makes the subscription worth paying is YJ. I would love to see a breakdown of the hit analysis.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Weisman and Vietti are rather adamant that Wally died and that will stick which is why I thought a clone might be an exception to their stance. But with "Nightmare Monkeys" they showed another way he could appear again.
I've been thinking about this. I haven't seen the new season yet, but it strikes me that Weisman and Vietti's stubborness about this specific "death" is a bit ludicrous. I do agree with Weisman very much that if a character dies sacrificing themselves for everyone else, that they shouldn't be brought back to life because it cheapens the sacrifice. Here is why I don't believe that notion applies to Wally in this instance, and why I think Weisman is delusional if he does. But it boils down to two reasons.

1. It was a pretty cheap-ass sacrifice to begin with. The episode didn't need it to function, and Wally could have made it out alive and no viewer would have known or cared about the difference. It had not been something that had been building throughout the season, and happened due to a circumstance that was entirely tacked on to give the episode additional unearned weight. It felt completely random. Maybe real-life death actually is, and that's the real moral. But it sure as hell was NOT an unimpeachable sacrifice that tugged at my heartstrings. It actually annoyed me. Part of me thinks less of Wally for doing what he always does and simply not surviving like he always has until now. He's gotten out of much worse scrapes before, so even if the death WAS a sacrifice, it was still beneath him, and a crappy way to go out.

2. We didn't see a body. The question fans were asking Weisman that he was getting annoyed with was "Is Wally really dead?" That's an entirely different question than "Are you going to bring Wally back from the dead?" Considering the nature of the Speed Force, and that various Flashes in various stories have been known to disappear after running too fast, seeming to be killed, and actually turning out to be alive and trapped in the speed force instead, is Weisman really surprised at our skepticism? If he really wanted us to think Wally was dead, he should have lobbied CN to actually allow him to show him being killed off. Even using the type of death he did, which is a known speedster fake-out death in DC properties, means he cannot be surprised that we think he's still out there.

I haven't seen Outsiders yet, Yojimbo. Are my feelings here off-base?

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It was a pretty cheap-ass sacrifice to begin with. The episode didn't need it to function, and Wally could have made it out alive and no viewer would have known or cared about the difference.
I disagree, if Wally survived it would have cheapened the finale. That situation exposed his weakness, but he relented anyway to make sure the world was saved. The bigger point was they all sign up for "the mission" accepting the possibility and likelihood that they can die at any point. The stakes increased in Invasion.

It had not been something that had been building throughout the season, and happened due to a circumstance that was entirely tacked on to give the episode additional unearned weight. It felt completely random.
That's a natural reaction to have relative to just the second season since Wally was reduced to a recurring role. Though it possible to counter argue that. One example, Wally was worried about Artemis getting killed during the op, which should have been a red flag to the audience that it was Wally who was really doomed. But relative to the entire series (at the time), it felt less tacked on, imo. For instance, we know why the crew decided his speed powers were set to be weaker to the Flash's. They stated the power set from the start. That did several things on several fronts like making sure he wasn't overpowered but creates that possibility that in an extreme situation, this weakness could be exploited and he would have to choose between his life or the greater good.

Part of me thinks less of Wally for doing what he always does and simply not surviving like he always has until now. He's gotten out of much worse scrapes before, so even if the death WAS a sacrifice, it was still beneath him, and a crappy way to go out.
It was heroic to me. It was the equivalent of jumping on the live grenade to save everyone else, everyone else being the planet and all its inhabitants.

We didn't see a body.
Valid. It's certainly a trope in TV and movies.

Considering the nature of the Speed Force, and that various Flashes in various stories have been known to disappear after running too fast, seeming to be killed, and actually turning out to be alive and trapped in the speed force instead, is Weisman really surprised at our skepticism?
No Speed Force in this canon.

I haven't seen Outsiders yet, Yojimbo. Are my feelings here off-base?
Eh, 50:50.

Frontier

Staff member
I dunno. I can kind of see why they did it to Wally specifically, but at the same time it felt like kind of a waste of his character, and someone of his stature, to take him out like that. Especially when he really didn't get to do much in season 2 in general (and you could potentially make the argument he's gotten the least to do of the entire original Team overall).

Like, Wally was the first sidekick to take over from his mentor and then went on to surpass him and make the Flash identity his own, and a lot of the elements synonymous with the Flash mythos came from his run in the comics. And then he just gets killed off as Kid Flash because he's slower then Barry and Bart? Something they felt they had to emphasize, probably specifically to foreshadow his death? Just feels like a bit of a disservice to the character in my opinion.

If they had made the whole "slower then Barry" element something he could get over and overcome, especially once he became Flash, that would be different and truer to the character for my money. But basically it was used as a reasoning to kill him off, which just kind of bothers me.

But that's just my two cents on it.

Light Lucario

Staff member
It's been awhile since I've seen season two, but I thought that Wally sacrificing himself added some more emotional and dramatic weight to the finale. It was a major disaster and the heroes not being able to save the day without some sacrifices kind of felt fitting. I don't know how much Wally was able to do in both seasons, but he was pretty likable and in a happy relationship with Artemis, so if they wanted to "kill" off one of the established characters, he was a good choice in that the audience could care about him and how his sacrifice would impact the other characters. Granted, I think part of the reason why they did that was to help make the season end on an even bigger cliffhanger in the hopes that Cartoon Network would pick for a third season, but that obviously didn't happen.

With that in mind, I do think it would be a poor choice to not bring Wally back. Yeah, bringing characters back from the dead can ruin or cheapen their sacrifices, but this is a superhero series. Characters come back from the dead in the comics all the time. They also likely have Jason Todd back from the dead based on this half of the season. Although, to be fair, Jason coming back from the dead to become the Red Hood is pretty well established at this point too. Still, I think it would be more fitting to have Wally somehow come back. There could still be some thematic weight to his sacrifice or show that he wasn't exactly dead all this time. Considering how many fans want him back after waiting for the series to return, I just think it would be disappointing to refuse to bring him back with that reasoning.

Frontier

Staff member
With that in mind, I do think it would be a poor choice to not bring Wally back. Yeah, bringing characters back from the dead can ruin or cheapen their sacrifices, but this is a superhero series. Characters come back from the dead in the comics all the time. They also likely have Jason Todd back from the dead based on this half of the season. Although, to be fair, Jason coming back from the dead to become the Red Hood is pretty well established at this point too. Still, I think it would be more fitting to have Wally somehow come back. There could still be some thematic weight to his sacrifice or show that he wasn't exactly dead all this time. Considering how many fans want him back after waiting for the series to return, I just think it would be disappointing to refuse to bring him back with that reasoning.
And Wally West also has a long history of coming back from (perceived) death ;).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Characters come back from the dead in the comics all the time. They also likely have Jason Todd back from the dead based on this half of the season.
The issue with Jason is we never saw his supposed death, we're just led to assume he died or even aspects of the traditional comic book storyline were used. So it in a sense, it's not the same situation if Wally were to be resurrected.

ShadowStar

Well, the way I see it, we all know how much Weisman doesn't like "spoilers". I feel this action was a specific choice, as he simply didn't want to retread something he did already. Ref:
the Brave & the Bold episode "Reqium for a Speedster".

I’m glad you brought up that episode - it highlights the fact that Greg Weisman has revisited a lot of content that he explored in his Brave and the Bold episodes - we’ve seen Captain Marvel, Blockbuster, Mongul and the War World, the Flash Family, the Outsiders, Kobra and Captain Atom in this show. Makes we wonder whether an appearance from Catwoman or the Bat-Men of All Nations will happen in Young Justice at some point! And we’ve yet to see Steppenwolf, haven’t we...?

Marvelman02

No Speed Force in this canon.

I have a Masters in English so I like to infer and read between the lines and look closely at what is said vs. what is not said. Greg Weisman has said he doesn't like the concept of the speed-force, but that is different from saying there is no speed-force in the YJ universe. I'm just saying Greg has not specifically ruled it out. There is still some wiggle room in his statement.

This is a wild guess for the end of the season: Connor is critically injured and put in to suspended animation until a means can be found to heal his injuries. The Legion and Wally, having travelled through time to 1000 years in the future, revive him in the 31st century.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I have a Masters in English so I like to infer and read between the lines and look closely at what is said vs. what is not said. Greg Weisman has said he doesn't like the concept of the speed-force, but that is different from saying there is no speed-force in the YJ universe. I'm just saying Greg has not specifically ruled it out. There is still some wiggle room in his statement.
Just so it doesn't become a thing, both of our interpretations are technically correct. Between 2011 and 2013, his replies on Ask Greg have varied from
  1. "There is no Speed Force on Earth-16"
  2. "We didn't get rid of it. It was never there."
  3. "Again, if folks want to think that Earth-16 has the speed - force , but no one on the planet knows about it, then I'm fine with that compromise"
  4. "Having said that, I'll simply repeat what I've stated before: if you love the Speed - Force and want to believe it exists on Earth-16, then may the speed - force be with you. All I've stated categorically is that no one on Earth-16 has ever heard of the Speed - Force . But the fact that no one's heard of it, doesn't in and of itself mean it doesn't exist."

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Given that the title of the Outsiders finale is "Nevermore", I do hope Raven does appear but that's just me. Same with maybe introducing Starfire (one of the two of the NTT roster to have not appeared in the show with the one being Rachel while Dick, Wally, Donna, Garfield and Victor have), Omen (one of the three from the classic Titans era to have not appeared outside the comics with the other two being Duela and Charley while Dick, Wally, Garth, Donna, Roy, Hank, Don, Malcolm, Karen, Garfield, John, Tula and Bette have) and Empress (the only one from the original seven of the YJ roster in the comics to have not appeared in the show while Conner, Bart, Tim, Cassie, Greta and Cissie have).

Marvelman02

Just so it doesn't become a thing, both of our interpretations are technically correct. Between 2011 and 2013, his replies on Ask Greg have varied from
  1. "There is no Speed Force on Earth-16"
  2. "We didn't get rid of it. It was never there."
  3. "Again, if folks want to think that Earth-16 has the speed - force , but no one on the planet knows about it, then I'm fine with that compromise"
  4. "Having said that, I'll simply repeat what I've stated before: if you love the Speed - Force and want to believe it exists on Earth-16, then may the speed - force be with you. All I've stated categorically is that no one on Earth-16 has ever heard of the Speed - Force . But the fact that no one's heard of it, doesn't in and of itself mean it doesn't exist."

Well, this is a lot more definitive than what I've read. All I have heard Greg say is that he doesn't like the idea of a speed force. But this new evidence does seem to put a nail in the whole speed force thing. However, we know time travel exists so that is still possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts