"Young Justice" News & Discussion Thread, Part 30 (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,722 47
Sherman Oaks CA
It's kind of interesting (or maybe ironic, I'm not sure) to see Greg Weisman coming back and making the show darker given how (except Star Wars Rebels), the shows he worked between 2013-2016 are Transformers Rescue Bots and Shimmer And Shine, which are lighter and softer than what he usually does .

On a related note, I remembered in the summer of 2016, where Genndy Tartakovsky mentioned about Samurai Jack season 5 how he would take advantage of the looser standards of Adult Swim while still not going that far, though the finalized season fell into that. Greg Weisman outright confirming the rating will definitely mean that this is a wild ride .
I think Mr. Weisman probably approaches any show he's working on with writing that is appropriate for the audience it's intended for, and in the case of Young Justice I think it was always more geared toward older audiences then just being strictly a "kids show."

I'm still not expecting that marked a difference between Outsiders and past seasons, but I guess one could say the show has continued to "grow up" with each subsequent season in a way.
The trailer and sneak peak didn't seem so wild to me.

What I liked about Young Justice was how serious it could be without getting too dark and depressing like DC's animated movies...
Even if this show dives into some heavy topics, I don't expect it's going to be anything like the DC animated movies, aside from having Phil Bourassa as a shared designer.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
11,568 19
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
I'm still not expecting that marked a difference between Outsiders and past seasons, but I guess one could say the show has continued to "grow up" with each subsequent season in a way.
True, and we already saw that happen between season 1 and 2. Like we were led to believe we saw Kaldur fatally stab Artemis and she died. I don't expect much of a change, maybe some full on punches to the face and gut and blood from being injured. Not sure about swearing, I don't remember really having to censor themselves in past seasons. I'd expect some damns and hells perhaps.

Last edited:

Harlequinn

Joker's Henchman
Nov 15, 2009
Ratings
400 1
California
True, and we already saw that happen between season 1 and 2. Like we were led to believe we saw Kaldur fatally stab Artemis and she died. I don't expect much of a change, maybe some full on punches to the face and gut and blood from being injured. Not sure about swearing, I don't remember really having to censor themselves in past seasons. I'd expect some damns and hells perhaps.
I'd expect another huge difference would be if something like the Artemis situation were to happen again, they wouldn't be forced to tell us she's still alive in that same episode.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
Ratings
3,016 5 1
the point of no return
In terms of profanity, I would think they're gonna be smart about it. PG-13 gets to a wider scope of fanbase, as we may see with the Deadpool 2 (PG-13 cut). FOX is doing that to see if he can work under the Disney umbrella and it doesn't hurt that they can get that China money either. So I imagine after such a long hiatus, the crew just want to see how things go this time around.
I'd expect another huge difference would be if something like the Artemis situation were to happen again, they wouldn't be forced to tell us she's still alive in that same episode.
I should hope Weisman and crew have a bigger twist this time. Artemis might be more of a Mystique type in the FOX-Men series. Besides that, I hope to see a slightly more faithful adaptation of the Outsiders. Maybe Black Lightning with his PTSD, Katana and her "sword", Halo having identity issues.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
11,568 19
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
I can barely remember any of her animated versions really even talking.
That's true but for me, Stephanie Sheh from DC Super Hero Girls and Sumalee Montano from Beware The Batman stand out. I don't remember too much of Vvyan Pham/Kim Mai Guest from The Brave and The Bold or technically Karen Maruyama as Tsukuri - who was pretty much an analogue of Katana - anymore. And looking ahead of this version on Earth-16, as we saw with Asami Koizumi during Invasion, they're probably not going to shy away from Katana speaking Japanese in some capacity.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,514 4
177A Bleecker Street
I didn't think of Beware the Batman when I wrote that (shameful). You'd think that her most prominent role would come to mind immediately. I was trying to remember cartoons she's been in and remembered Brave and the Bold, Public Enemies and DCSHG.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
Ratings
3,016 5 1
the point of no return
She was depicted as a teenager in TB&TB so that wasn't going to happen there. I personally don't remember hearing about any other media version tackling that idea. We don't know how old she is in this Earth-16, but if Weisman is true to his word about keeping it close to "Batman & The Outsiders", that should come up.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,722 47
Sherman Oaks CA
Come to think of it... have we ever had an animated version of Katana talking to her sword? Hmm.
I think this adaption probably has the best chance of finally incorporating the whole "dead husband's soul in her sword" aspect in animation since Brave and the Bold's Katana was a teenager (ditto DCSHG) and Beware's Tatsu was decidedly not married :sweat:.

Marvelman02

Nov 19, 2011
Ratings
Canada
Now that we have a release date, does anybody want to start making predictions? Here's mine:

Wally will return in the mid-season finale, and we will be left dangling for months to see his reunion with Artemis and his friends.

I also predict that Darkseid will have a speaking role this season but will not be be a major opponent for the team. He will remain very much a manipulator from the shadows - as is his wont.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2006
Ratings
452 1
UK
What are the words that pop up onscreen momentarily during that little tease? I think I saw 'Earth' and 'Apokolips' but I could have sworn that there was a third word...

Anyway, cool tease - hopefully they'll stick to the January-February and June-July timeline that was previously announced in terms of when they'll release these episodes!

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
8,200 6
A Valid Location
I don't really have much to say, given how short the teaser/intro is, but it's cool to have an official announcement regarding the premiere date. A little disappointing the show still won't have a longer opening scene, but I can live with that (especially if it means more time to tell the stories, since I don't think they need extra time for commercials now).

That was cool of them to reveal the date on the 16th. And we happen to be on the 16th page of this thread...
And I was tempted to wait until 4 PM (1600 hours in military time) to post the news, but I knew someone would post it before me if I waited so long. :p