"Young Justice" News & Discussion Thread, Part 27 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
As in, animation takes 9-10 months from start to finish (story plotting before the scripting stage, to the eventual finished product), or 9-10 months beginning with a particular stage like the voice recording session? I imagine it's the former but I just want to be sure.
I'm sure he's answered that on Ask Greg but most recently on Twitter I saw him confirm 9-12 to make one episode of YJ. And I'm sure we must have sussed it out on one of these threads back in the day through his production rambles. If 9-12 is in total as you ask, I'll have to get back to you on that but sounds highly likely.

EDIT: In this tweet 11/17, Weisman said 10-12 months for a single episode after saying the process is "Script, voice, design & direction, animation, post-production."

Last edited:

Marvelman02

I don't think it's the right time for Tim to be Red Robin. He got very little development time and if they plan on making him Red Robin I think season 4 is the right time. Especially if a Jason Red Hood storyline is incoming.

As for Donna, we know she exists as Troia and is alive. In the original YJ comics Diana questioned Cassie about not wearing Donna's outfit (I believe Donna was dead at the time) and Cassie felt that she couldn't compare. That would be interesting ground to cover.

For Cissie, we saw her as a child and if the time skip isn't too big she should be a teenager by now. She had a great storyline in the original YJ comics and I'd love to see her with her mother.

Stephanie would be great to introduce as Spoiler. Her relationship with Tim could be interesting.

If it is on Netflix and they use Mia, I wonder if they'll go over her being HIV+.

I hope they only bring in characters as they are relevant to the story. One of the big problems with Invasion was that there were too many characters and too few episodes! Having said that, it would be good to see Steph as Spoiler or Batgirl. If you recall, originally, Steph was the one Bat who couldn't hack it as a hero. She lacked athletic skill despite all of her good intentions. We have never had a main character like that on the show. Also, Stephanie developed a rather poignant friendship with Damian. So, yes, I vote for Steph!

Barbossa

Damian in Season 3 may feel very forced. I hope WB don't force Greg to include him. WB/DC wants Damian to be the next big thing so bad lol

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I was thinking along the same lines about Damian (hence why I suggested the possibility of him appearing next season earlier in this thread). After seeing him added to the 3rd Batman Unlimited movie I guess it remains to be seen how much creative freedom Weisman and Vietti will have. Of course it's also possible they had plans for him and wanted to include him on the show, without any executive meddling necessary.

Frontier

Staff member
I think, depending on how long the timeskip is, we'll either still see Tim as Robin or see a new generation of the Team with Damians as the new Robin and explore that dynamic. It would be very interest to see how his personality would come across on this show vs. the comics and animated movies...

I don't see DC mandating Weisman and Co. include or don't include anyone since that didn't seem to be much of an issue in seasons 1 and 2, especially with the good working relationship Weisman seems to have with DC :).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
If there really are plans for a new Robin, I think Damian has the best chances of being it. Though it would be interesting if they went with a female Robin (Stephanie Brown, not Carrie Kelly :p)

But we'll see. We don't know how big of a time-skip it will be, just that there will be one. For all we know it might be only a week after the events of Season 2.

Frontier

Staff member
It would be kinda awesome if this season we could possibly see all the main Robins (Dick, Jason, Tim, Damian) in one series together, ala that episode with all the Flashes together in season 2 :D.

Triant

I'm not big on Damian, either. Anything I've seen him in, he's been really obnoxious.

Also, maybe some characters that aren't Bat-family?

Skelly

Weisman has shared some details on where the funding is coming from for this new season:

Money to produce the first two seasons of YJ came from Mattel and Cartoon Network. (Mostly from Mattel.) When Mattel pulled out, the money from CN wasn't enough to produce the series. Period. For season three, Warner Bros itself is paying for it, for now. They have confidence, I guess, that wherever it winds up and whatever merchandise they may or may not eventually release or license, they'll still make a profit. That's based on what the fans proved over the last few years.

http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=21608

If I understand that right, CN currently has no stake in this, nor do the toy companies. I imagine that has a huge effect on the platform this airs on.

Harlequinn

Joker's Henchman
That doesn't give me much confidence in an episode count above 10

On the subject of Damian, WB/DC may actually not want him included to differentiate between YJ and the new Titans film line

ShadowStar

I'm sure he's answered that on Ask Greg but most recently on Twitter I saw him confirm 9-12 to make one episode of YJ. And I'm sure we must have sussed it out on one of these threads back in the day through his production rambles. If 9-12 is in total as you ask, I'll have to get back to you on that but sounds highly likely.

EDIT: In this tweet 11/17, Weisman said 10-12 months for a single episode after saying the process is "Script, voice, design & direction, animation, post-production."

Thanks! So the first episode could be done in August, for example, if it is scripted this month. I guess we'll see...

As for the episode count, I hope they reveal what it is soon. 10 or 13 episodes would be sad given the scale and potential of this show. Even 20 would be a bit of a cheat. Hoping for 26, even if an order of 26 episodes means that there will be no further seasons (but I'll be very disappointed if Troia and Sergeant Marvel do not appear in season 3 in that case - oh, who am I kidding, I'll be disappointed if they don't appear in season 3 anyway).

Last edited:

TheLemsterPju

I'm expecting a 10 year time-skip next season. I would imagine mostly to add further weight to how much of an ongoing and important threat The Light is.

It reminds me of Thailog still being a threat in 2009 of the Gargoyles timeline, 14 years after his creation. Greg loves to keep his villains active, possibly "undefeated" in a sense, for years, if not decades.

Last edited:

Lonewolf36

Would love to see this Greg Weisman created group from JLA Showcase 80-Page Giant #1 (2000) make an appearance though Disney would probably object.:(

CaptainAtomGargoyles.JPG

Lee H

So, this is very old news, but I was frustrated to see that on the Season One blu-ray "Drop Zone" has the incorrect timestamps from the initial airing.

How did this even happen? The DVD and subsequent re-airings all had corrected timestamps. Can anyone confirm which version is on Netflix, Amazon, iTunes etc?

Frontier

Staff member
Why would Chris Jones know this? As far as I know he didn't have anything to do with the core show; just the comic series.
I guess he's talked to people in the know.
Well, he did have a close working relationship with the people on the show, since Weisman worked on the comic. He was even allowed to do the design for Talia and a few other characters who weren't on the show...

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well, he did have a close working relationship with the people on the show, since Weisman worked on the comic. He was even allowed to do the design for Talia and a few other characters who weren't on the show...
So far as we know, he's not working on the comic so it's only "worked" past tense unless Weisman told him something. In the past, during season 1-2, Jones has said things on his Twitter that were misconstrued or later incorrect when it came to the show. We won't be learning about where Season 3 will air on Twitter. There will be a press release when Warner is ready to say. Then we'll all retweet it. ;)

Harlequinn

Joker's Henchman
Regardless, it's safe to say it won't air on CN considering Greg's post about the funding coming solely from WB/DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts