"Young Justice" Issue #4 Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment - [i]Young Justice[/i] #4!

• ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2*

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Based on the hit Cartoon Network animated show Young Justice from Warner Bros. Animation!

YOUNG JUSTICE #4

Click here for a preview!

Written by ART BALTAZAR and FRANCO
Art by MIKE NORTON

A woman is targeted by a covert group of assassins! It's Robin, Kid Flash and Aqualad to the rescue, but can they save her from the combined menace of Hook and Black Spider? Only if they can escape from the deadly duo themselves! The junior heroes must prove they can work as a team and take on the menace of the League of Shadows at the same time!

Comments?

suss2it

I think this was a really good issue. The dialogue definitely fit the characters, except for Black Spider, it was weird seeing him talk so much since he didn't utter a single word in the show. I also liked how useful Aqualad was here compared to his poor show in the last issue.

I gotta say it was also sad that they failed their mission, especially once they all came to that conclusion, after thinking they won the day. I wonder if it was Cheshire who got to Selena?

My one complaint is still the art. I don't think it looks enough like the show, and find it very amateurish. Other than that, great issue.

RoryWilliams

I think this was a really good issue. The dialogue definitely fit the characters, except for Black Spider, it was weird seeing him talk so much since he didn't utter a single word in the show. I also liked how useful Aqualad was here compared to his poor show in the last issue.

I gotta say it was also sad that they failed their mission, especially once they all came to that conclusion, after thinking they won the day. I wonder if it was Cheshire who got to Selena?

My one complaint is still the art. I don't think it looks enough like the show, and find it very amateurish. Other than that, great issue.

Wait, so Selena got iced?

suss2it

Wait, so Selena got iced?

Yup. Once they defeat Hook & Black Spider they're back at the HQ wondering where Selena must've gotten to. They remember that Hook & BS said something to the effect that if they exit the building they'll be dead, so they come to the realization that there must've been another assassin(s) outside who ended up killing her when she fled during the battle.

RoryWilliams

Yup. Once they defeat Hook & Black Spider they're back at the HQ wondering where Selena must've gotten to. They remember that Hook & BS said something to the effect that if they exit the building they'll be dead, so they come to the realization that there must've been another assassin(s) outside who ended up killing her when she fled during the battle.

....But no body? Interesting. Maybe the League has her for some other purpose?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Checked out the preview and that was rather amateur of an assassin not taking the belt. I guess they're more experiencing with killing than taking prisoners. :sad:

But after all the issues so far, I prefer Alex Sinclair over Zac Atkinson. Atkinson's coloring makes everything too light and pastel-ish. Still, looking forward to reading the rest of the issue.

Eivion

Thought this was the best issue yet. Good dialogue, solid fighting, and I loved the rough team work. Kind of happy it all ended in failure as well as it makes a good lesson for them. Was also nice seeing Aqualad sort of take the leadership role here.

suss2it

Checked out the preview and that was rather amateur of an assassin not taking the belt. I guess they're more experiencing with killing than taking prisoners. :sad:
I saw it as more of a Robin is awesome moment. Plus why would the assassins even think to take the utility belt? I don't think it's a well known Batman feature in this universe, since he's only been at this for 9 years. He probably hasn't tangled with the League of Shadows yet, so their members would see no reason to take his belt once they already have him (or in this case Robin) bounded.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I saw it as more of a Robin is awesome moment. Plus why would the assassins even think to take the utility belt? I don't think it's a well known Batman feature in this universe, since he's only been at this for 9 years. He probably hasn't tangled with the League of Shadows yet, so their members would see no reason to take his belt once they already have him (or in this case Robin) bounded.
True. But for the other part, I was thinking Black Spider and the Hook noticed Robin taking gadgets out of his belt during the battle in Issue 3 and may have been watching the trio while they were staking out Selena Gonzalez' office. But hey, they're villains.

theRedDeath

The whole Utility Belt thing is something we as an audience take for granted. We know all about Batman and Robin's utility belt and how a villain SHOULD remove it because we've been exposed to the character for over 70 years.

But in-universe; for two mercenary/assassins that probably don't even operate in Gotham too often, it's not that strange to think that just didn't occur to them.

---

graysongirl

The whole Utility Belt thing is something we as an audience take for granted. We know all about Batman and Robin's utility belt and how a villain SHOULD remove it because we've been exposed to the character for over 70 years.

But in-universe; for two mercenary/assassins that probably don't even operate in Gotham too often, it's not that strange to think that just didn't occur to them.

---

exactly - for all they know, robby's spandex pants were too big :lol: but now that they do know, the LoS most likely knows too. The villians will probably catch on... eventually... xD

RoryWilliams

---

And honestly, it's one of the tropes of comicdom. If the villains had any sense, they'd have simply put a bullet in each of the YJ kids' heads while they were unconscious. But the whole deathtrap peril is one of comicdom's longest running tropes.

Though it is always funny to see it subverted like in Neil Gaiman's work.

Fake Robin

But after all the issues so far, I prefer Alex Sinclair over Zac Atkinson. Atkinson's coloring makes everything too light and pastel-ish. Still, looking forward to reading the rest of the issue.

We were lucky to have Alex for as long as we did. I was surprised to see him doing more than covers for Young Justice.

There was some bad coloring in this issue. Halfway through it I was confused by nerve gas that seemed to be coming from nowhere. Flipping back I realized in some panels it was caused by the smoke bombs Robin set off, but in most panels it was meant to be dust from the fight. Both were strangely colored green.

It makes sense this encounter wouldn't be alluded to in "Infiltrator." No Leaguers, Superboy or anyone other than the three were on the last page. They probably didn't tell anyone what happened. They outnumbered and had better superpowers than Black Spider and Hook (whose power is A. Giant. Hook). And still the three spent most of the story getting knocked around and ultimately lost Selena. That's humiliating. They're not going to share that.

Somewhat off-topic: A lot of ads for Archie comics this month. Anyone know if ads for DC Kids comics are showing up in Archie? It's good to see the two companies being friendly and cross-promoting. Goods things can come from that. I would loveloveLOVE to see Art and Franco sequel-ize their Tiny Titans/Little Archie crossover with a Young Justice/Archie and Friends mini.

Santino

This was a really good issue, but I ended my subscription the other day. I've lost interest in Young Jutice since it's been off the air so long and IDW has two books I'm gonna subscribe to this summer/fall (TMNT and Ghostbusters). Figured I'd just get the scoop on what's going on from you guys.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts