Young Justice: FanDome Season 3.9 "Episode 1: The Prize" Talkback (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
"Young Justice: FanDome Season 3.9" Episode 1 "The Prize"

Connor Kent (Nolan North) and Megan Morse (Danica McKellar) bid farewell to their friends as they head off for a new adventure on their own, signaling the end of their time on the Team. What's more, Arsenal (Crispin Freeman) joins the Team once again, after an invitation from Artemis Clock (Stephanie Lemelin).

Previous Talkback threads:
"Young Justice: Outsiders" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)
"Young Justice: Outsiders" Season Three Talkback Part 2 (Spoilers)

Discussion is encouraged, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Feel free to comment as the episode streams, too, providing your own running commentary, though AVOID successive posting or posts with only three words and under. However, do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And please remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC! Any mention or implication of viewing an episode through illegal means will not be tolerated - the post will be deleted and/or an infraction will be issued. Do not post a recording of the play, anything outside of the FanDome website, per their FAQ section is considered illegal and will be treated as such.

Last edited:

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Yeah, that description doesn't do the Audio Play justice. Canon-wise, there's a ton of interesting stuff going on, besides those developments.

Artemis is now the new leader of The Team (which is why she invited Roy back). Clayface is reformed after the events of season 3 and gets a job at Bowhunter Security, which is almost ruined by Amanda Waller's Task Force X, which has added Tuppence Terror and Brick alongside Manta, Mallah, and Boomerang. Conner, M'gann (who is Clayface's rehab counselor), Raquel, and Artemis temporarily join Bowhunter Security (alongside the Harpers) to avoid conflict with the Justice League to rescue Clayface. Also, Forager is babysitting Lian and Amistad while all three ruin Snapper Carr's party.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShadowStar

I won't go into any real detail right now regarding the audio play as others really need to tune in and see it, but I must say that I liked that little tidbit regarding the whereabouts of Zatanna. Danica McKellar, Jason Spizak and Nolan North delivered my favourite performances in the audio play.

Frontier

Staff member
The audio play was really fun. It was neat seeing the VA's all get into character and do all the cool VA stuff like the fight grunts :p.

As far as the plot:

I like how instead of as script reading it turns into Greg Weisman and Jason Spisak narrating the events in-character :p.

Is this supposed to be Conner and M'Gann's honeymoon? It kind of feels like they were being cute rather than just outright saying what their "Big Adventure" was :confused:.

Maybe it's just me but it still feels like Will and Artemis are flirting with each other at times :sweat:.

Also, Beast Boy is going with them, so who is leading the Outsiders? Conner? Cassie :ack:?

How many times is Nightwing going to lead the team, leave the team, only to inevitably come back? I feel like the only way he's going to stick to a leadership position is when he's Batman :rolleyes2:.

Zatanna has "protege's" now. So...Traci and someone else :)?

Black Manta feels like he's Deadshot's equivalent on the Earth-16 Suicide Squad since he seems to be their main point man and POV character. Does Flagg ever go out in the field with them o_O.

I honestly didn't see the Clayface twist coming, but it's neat that they're finally giving him a redemption story. Will it stick? Will they introduce one of the other Clayface's to take up the villain role? You never know ;).

Arsenal rejoining the team reminds me of when he was on the promo art for Outsiders with the other new characters, only for 80% of the characters on that image to end up not really doing anything. Well, it's good that Roy has grown enough to be viewed as a team player :).

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Black Manta feels like he's Deadshot's equivalent on the Earth-16 Suicide Squad since he seems to be their main point man and POV character. Does Flagg ever go out in the field with them o_O.
That's pretty funny since we do know an Earth-16 Deadshot exists, as well as King Shark and Count Vertigo. I'm okay with it, though. Most modern Suicide Squad line-ups are pretty samey these days, so I'm glad they got creative with it.

Fone Bone

Hindsight 2020!
Young Justice Fandome Audio Play "The Prize"

The story was solid. I especially liked learning that Jason Spisak does all those weird Forager noises himself. I also adore the idea of reformation for Clayface, and think that would make an interesting subplot for season 4. Arsenal back on the team and Artemis leading it is cool too.

Unfortunately, me being me, and me totally sucking, means I still cannot rate that very highly. Yes, the story was good and the cast did a good job, but the audio play format is a legitimate medium that has done great stuff since the invention of radio. That was a mess. I mean an action cartoon does not lend itself to an audio play to begin with, but I suppose it MIGHT have been okay with Forager explaining everything the way he did if that was the only hindrance. It would have been clunky in a way good audio plays aren't, but it would have been understandable for an action franchise. The problem is that everyone in the cast is playing more than one character, and it is very hard keeping them all straight in the story while they are doing that. I've criticized the show's voice-work in season 3, and I've especially criticized the fact that they always reuse actors over and over again in unconvincing ways (often with bad and offensive accents) instead of hiring people right for the new characters. And one of the negative consequences of doing that is that it makes an audio play using those actors and characters almost impossible to follow. Audio plays are kind of a lost art, but a respectable one that has done great things in the past. There's not even any music or sound effects here, it's just a live cast reading. I guess as far as people hungry for new Young Justice stories go, this might hold them over. But as somebody who always dug this medium as a kid, I'm disappointed. ***.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
About 26 minutes, not bad. Really fun story and nice gift to the patient and impatient fans waiting for season 4, heh. In a perfect world, I would have dug if it was motion comic that played with them doing their voice roles. Speaking of, really cute that Brandon Vietti did Warden Economos one word line in the story.

3 timestamps
-Happy Harbor February 23, 14:16 EST
-Star City February 23, 11:19 PST
-Bayou Bartholomew February 23, 16:16 CST
-No Team Year is stated but it's mentioned 3 times that it's been 10 years, so if you do the math, this story takes place in 2020 or Team Year 10. Which is about a 2 year time skip more or less from season 3.

3 new designations
-Lian Nguyen Harper A28
-Amistad Ervin A29
-Guardian A45 (Note: Jim Harper)

A lot of interesting new questions which likely hint at what to expect in season 4:

-Farewell party for what? I'm guess J'onn and Garfield are going with Megan and Connor on Bio Ship to see them off. I'd guess they're moving away to their very own home. 50:50 it's Mars or to Geranium City. I don't think they're leaving their respective teams or at the very least, inactive duty for a bit.

-Nightwing is off on a top-secret sabbatical.

-Zatanna has proteges. Plural.

-Come to think of it, they never showed how Waller controls the Suicide Squad. But we know...

-After Manta Flyer is downed, it's said all other transports are on missions so seems implicitly Task Force X is a pretty big operation at this point. So much so, Waller isn't waiting for her recruits to get arrested and sent to Belle Reve - she sends teams out to kidnap them.

-Tigress is the current leader of the Team. Woot!

-Arsenal rejoins the Team.

Frontier

Staff member
-No Team Year is stated but it's mentioned 3 times that it's been 10 years, so if you do the math, this story takes place in 2020 or Team Year 10. Which is about a 2 year time skip more or less from season 3.
So they were probably already married by then :).
-Tigress is the current leader of the Team. Woot!
She did grow in terms of leadership a lot in Outsiders :cool:.

Frontier

Staff member
Not necessarily. I wouldn’t be surprised if they prolonged their engagement, especially given the fact that they had stuff to work through during season 3.
It seems like they always have stuff to work through on this show. Even her Conner was surprised about the Clayface thing, but at least she had a legitimate reason for not telling him :p.

ShadowStar

Didn't season 3 conclude in February of Team Year Nine? So that would mean that there has likely been a one year time-skip.

I say that because season 2 took place in the first six months of Team Year Six, then season 3 covered the latter half of Team Year Eight and the first two months of Team Year Nine. Hope I have that right.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Didn't season 3 conclude in February of Team Year Nine? So that would mean that there has likely been a one year time-skip.

I say that because season 2 took place in the first six months of Team Year Six, then season 3 covered the latter half of Team Year Eight and the first two months of Team Year Nine. Hope I have that right.
Correct:
(Season 1 started on July 4, Team Year Zero and concluded on January 1, Team Year One) then season 2 started on January 1, Team Year Six (ignoring the opening scene) and concluded on July 5, Team Year Six then season 3 started on July 4, Team Year Eight and concluded on February 28, Team Year Nine.

You can see a bit of a pattern. So it would lend credence that season 4 may start on February 28, Team Year Ten - 5 days after the events of this audio play. But definitely on a February 28th.

EDIT: And fun pieces of trivia

-Connor corrects himself about eight originals being alive since Wally is deceased

-Megan mentions Dick and Zatanna

-Lian Nguyen Harper turns out to be A28

-Will mentions Lian was in a mood and not talking, in reality Zehra Fazal was absent from the panel

-Forager mentions Violet Harper

-Lucas mentions Genomorphs

-Forager mentions WayneTech

-Brick reacts to seeing Bowhunter Security, a nod to his run-in in "Private Security" in season 3

-Many many references to Amanda Waller who first appeared in season 1

-Tuppence mentions Icicle Jr. and alludes to shenanigans from season 1 that was referenced in season 2

-Nolan North subs in as Monsieur Mallah for Dee Bradley Baker

-Amistad Ervin is A29

-Megan says she and Conner are leaving Tuesday morning, by the 2020 calendar that's February 25

-Artemis mentions Garfield

-Megan mentions Martian Manhunter

-Amistad points at Will's belly and tells him he has a baby in there similar as with Karen in "Home Fires" in season 3

-Artemis mentions Project Cadmus

-Boomerang mentions the Brain and Ultra-Humanite

-Megan refers to when Robin freed Clayface from Mad Hunter's mind control in "Triptych"

-Megan mentions Arkham Asylum and Batman

-Raquel mentions Gotham City

-Clayface's 'they pulled me back in' is a nod to The Godfather Part III

-Clayface mentions Simon Stagg

-Kaldur mentions the carrots and sticks line and Waller learning the Team's secret from "Leverage" in season 3

-Kaldur mentions the Justice League and the Team

-Bayou Bartholomew sound familiar to anyone? It first appeared in season 1's "Revelation" - the location of the Injustice League's base.

-Brick mentions Flagg

-Boomerang mentions Green Arrow and Batman

-Manta mentions Aquaman

-Brandon Vietti voices Economos

-Roy mentions when Nightwing kicked him off The Team at the end of "The Hunt"

-It is revealed Tigress succeeded Miss Martian as leader of the Team, which was left unrevealed in "Nevermore" whereas Black Lightning was elected as the new leader of the Justice League.

Last edited:

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I just realized: Do you think Wolf passed away between season 3 and this special? He did seem pretty tired last season, and he was absent throughout the special and wasn't going to join Conner and M'gann to Mars.

ShadowStar

I just realized: Do you think Wolf passed away between season 3 and this special? He did seem pretty tired last season, and he was absent throughout the special and wasn't going to join Conner and M'gann to Mars.

I wondered about this as well. They could very well touch on this in season 4.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember when I said The Dog and Pony Show should come to Qubo? Well, it's probably not happening. Since Discovery is a co producer it will probably end up on Discovery Family and Discovery Famiila.
Did anybody notice the error just tonight on Nick? At 7:57PMish after Despicable Me 2 error?
I love the smell of rain at night and the end of Daylight Savings here.
Scott Innes apparently put up his Christmas tree....in October. It looks pretty good though.