Yo-Kai Watch Series Talkback

Latest News & Videos

ChibiGoku

Something Not Quite Right
May 20, 2003
Ratings
32 1
Erie, PA
I haven't done a full comparison, but having skimmed over the episode, outside of some script changes here or there (particularly during the scene with Nate's parents fighting and the Yokai causing it), the script was fairly accurate. Also, the fact that there was no dub music (or a dub composer, for that matter) attached is a very good sign. The music was also completely intact, which is a very welcome change for a series of this nature. Especially after Dentsu's last two dubs (Deltora Quest and Danball Senki/LBX).

The voice acting was also pretty good. I'm still trying to get used to Nate/Keita having an adult male voice him and wouldn't preferred a female voice actor to voice him, but he absolutely has his personality down flat. Whisper, in my honest opinion, is probably the best of the voices in the show, for that matter. His voice actor does a fantastic job capturing his personality, as well as capturing his spastic moments when he has them. Just love everything about this voice. Everyone else also fell into place and I really have no immediate complaints.

For what it stands, it seems Yokai Watch is probably the best children's anime dub on television at the moment and it does seem like they're dubbing the series uncut. There's a possibility there may be some edits for the Disney XD airing, but given the fact they dubbed the full Opening, but edited it down for the Television broadcast, I wouldn't be shocked if the DVD and international versions are uncut. They also kept the little bit at the beginning, which was reserved to tell you to watch the series in a well lit room (though text was removed).

ToonJay723

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Ratings
1,574 12
New York
This show looks good (only saw the first episode). It's not something I will go out of my way to see, but I'll watch it whenever it happens to be on TV when I'm home.

SleepyBat

Yo-kai, won't you be my friend?
Aug 16, 2014
Ratings
298 2
United States
www.youtube.com
but given the fact they dubbed the full Opening, but edited it down for the Television broadcast, I wouldn't be shocked if the DVD and international versions are uncut.
I think that may be the case, just, Disney XD requesting it cut down a bit so it fits their time limit (for commercials) like Wander Over Yonder and Gravity Falls's short intros.

Ultra8

Now all I/You can do
Oct 11, 2002
Ratings
Nebula-M78
Visit site
I honestly wasn't expecting the original op let alone the ending, hell they even including the anti-seizure warning. (Last time I saw one of those was on a video for Medarot)
It feels like a fun quirky show and the designs for the Yokai are cutesy/Pokemon-ish yet recognizable(well at least the ones I'm familiar with anyway).
I'll admit I didn't quite get the bathroom joke but wound up laughing anyway due to my own experiences as a kid, though my excuse was the boys room was filthy and falling apart his is pristine by comparison. Also liked the fact that summoning Yokai doesn't always work as expected, if at all. ;)
Dang it now I want to see the Cat guy fight Optimus Prime. Lol!

Last edited:

Dragnatek

Apr 21, 2011
Ratings
Hammond IN
Well we almost got an original opening for the dub but it was poorly received and convinced the people involved to dub the Japanese opening instead. You can find the opening we almost got on their official you tube page. Talk about dodging a bullet.

ChibiGoku

May 20, 2003
Ratings
32 1
Erie, PA
First Episode ratings are out and... Not good.

300K with total viewers, 0.1 in Adults (about 127K). I'd imagine that might be "normal" for the slot, but given this was a premiere and Disney was advertising this, I'm a little concerned about this. The Adult viewership is a bit particularly concerning, since that's close to half the total audience viewing. Hopefully there's signs of improvement for Episodes 2 onwards.

SleepyBat

Yo-kai, won't you be my friend?
Aug 16, 2014
Ratings
298 2
United States
www.youtube.com
Well we almost got an original opening for the dub but it was poorly received and convinced the people involved to dub the Japanese opening instead. You can find the opening we almost got on their official you tube page. Talk about dodging a bullet.
Um, no. They never said that the "new" opening was an opening after all. It said trailer. It would take more than a month prior to the premiere notice to change the entire intro by getting the real one and dubbing it. Some people just don't get the concept of time in production, animation and live-action alike.

Dragnatek

Apr 21, 2011
Ratings
Hammond IN
Um, no. They never said that the "new" opening was an opening after all. It said trailer. It would take more than a month prior to the premiere notice to change the entire intro by getting the real one and dubbing it. Some people just don't get the concept of time in production, animation and live-action alike.
Oh okay thanks for the correction. That makes me feel better.

ChibiGoku

May 20, 2003
Ratings
32 1
Erie, PA
It's worth noting I had heard that it was used for the pilot dub, but wasn't entirely decided at that point whether or not it was going to be used for the series proper. It was essentially a relic of the past that they essentially posted, probably long since they decided they weren't going to use it. Still neat to see, although made me somewhat concerned about the way the dub was going to be handled when it got posted.

Golden Geek

Gera Gera Po
Dec 31, 2013
Ratings
557 9
United States
Just started the first episode. They used the worst portion of the theme for the TV version! :(

---

Huh...the "feed me!" joke was originally just "Please insert coin!". I think I liked that a bit better.

I don't remember what kind of yogurt was referenced in the Japanese version but it wasn't Greek. And they avoided the word 'divorce', saying "they could fight forever".

"My legs moved on their own!" Hmm, I've heard of hips doing similar...

"Meow." "Meow to you." That exchange was actually pretty hilarious. :D

"I can't believe you let yourself get hit by a truck." Wow, this cat should not have been living with such a dog, if you catch my drift. Surprised they're okay with a heartless owner having no mercy on her dead cat but not divorce.

"Why am I such a sleepyhead? Why am I such a dreamyhead?" These lyrics are dropping my IQ by the second...

---

Overall, I give episode 1 of Yokai Watch a B. The changes from the original Japanese weren't so bad.

Last edited:

ChibiGoku

May 20, 2003
Ratings
32 1
Erie, PA
Worth noting, since it didn't pop up on my schedule: It seems Disney XD has added some rerun slots for the show. Seems they are airing reruns at 6 or 6:30AM during the weekdays (not sure if this'll be finalized, but it's airing at either time), while on Saturdays, it's airing at 8AM for an hour. Considering this schedule change must've been somewhat late, my Guide data on my cable box didn't note the change.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

At first, I thought Brian Hohlfeld working on many shows Nicole Dubuc worked on was just a coincidence . It turns out they're married. I previously thought the Paul Dini / Misty Lee marriage had the largest age gap (he was born in 1957 while she was born in 1976), but this is the one that's larger (he was born in 1957 while she was born in 1978, making 21 years). I'm not complaining, but this is surprising.
Into the Spider-Verse is definitely one of the better animated films I've seen this year. I really enjoyed its comicbooky art style and animation. I wouldn't mind a sequel.