xfinity lost Cartoon Network

DonTrashRoom

Have a nice trip, see you next fall
Apparently Cartoon Network is transitioning to digital preferred on all cable providers, not just Xfinity, due to low ratings
Source? Charter Spectrum still has it on their most basic tier in my area.

Yin

Depressed Housecat
It will be interesting for CN I wonder what they will do to combat this

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
It's still basic cable for Comcast so far.
I guess it depends on the area. I sometimes watch CN when I'm on my break at work depending on what's on and whether or not someone else is already watching something (the break room TV only gets basic channels) and whenever I try to put on CN now, it says it requires a subscription service. I have digital at home, so I'm not upset or anything, but I was surprised when I tried to watch CN on my break a couple days ago only to find out I could no longer do that.

I do wonder how this will affect CN. I know they're not focused on live ratings anymore (though I'm not sure if Adult Swim is to the same extent), but I'm pretty sure the live feed still needs to be part of your cable subscription to watch most of what's on the app (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but usually, you can't just have a cable subscription, the channel has to be part of it). Unless this isn't as widespread as it seems, a good chunk of people just lost access to it.

Last edited:

ProtoGentIsDead

Your average Toon Disney and Pixar fan
If you're stuck with XFINITY or your most hated cable provider,

Then I recommend you guys to switch to Layer3 TV (a T-Mobile company) or DISH.

SG-17

It's still on the Access tier of PlayStation Vue and the basic cable tier for my regional cable provider.

SpongieLoud

Bingo Bango!
So does this mean Cartoon Network will fall in the same tier as Disney XD, Disney Junior, Nick Jr, Nicktoons, and TeenNick?

Light Lucario

Staff member
Yeah, this is still pretty surprising to me. I guess that the notion that Cartoon Network wants to transfer to digital makes sense given that they have been focusing more on their app and On Demand than on their live schedule for quite some time. But I didn't think that they'd do something like this so soon and with one of the more prominent cable providers too. People still need to be listed among their cable providers in order to watch their shows online. Without that, they won't be able to legally watch the shows on their website. It's the same reason why I can't watch anything on Nickelodeon's website because they don't list Comcast as one of their accepted cable providers.

Fortunately, I double checked and xfinity is still listed among the accepted providers on Cartoon Network's website. I don't know if that's just temporary, but hopefully that could help anyone who can't change cable providers at the moment. My family has more than the basic cable plan, so this won't be a problem for me, but it is really rough for other people who did lose the channel, especially if it happened without warning. I still wonder how this will affect the ratings, especially for Adult Swim/Toonami.

Dr.Pepper

I have Xfinity and I appear to still have CN. The app seems to be working too. Maybe it’s a regional thing or that we have a million year old cable package.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I asked them where they got that from and they said they read it on a few forums. They didn’t know how truthful it was, but thought every cable provider put CN on their premium package. So I showed Commander Beeper’s post and they said they assumed every provider was affected because they heard Xfinity, FiOS, and Time Warner were affected by this. After I told them Spectrum used to be Time Warner, they think some of the info they got isn’t very accurate. Though going by the posts here, I’m wondering if it depends on the area.
I have Xfinity and I appear to still have CN. The app seems to be working too. Maybe it’s a regional thing or that we have a million year old cable package.
Do you just have basic? You can still get CN if you pay for digital.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
We have digital, but CN still has the same channel number that it always had.
Same in my area. Even though they moved it to a different package, it still has the same channel number it’s had for years (though I don’t know if there are any areas where the number was changed as well).

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Someone posted on the Adult Swim forum about Comcast dropping Cartoon Network to a different tier as well...

I'm reminded of when Comcast dropped the "G4" channel back in 2010, that started the death spiral for that channel. Not sure if that's what is going to happen to Cartoon Network, but it does feel like this will hasten the transition from cable to an all-digital platform (which is what I think Cartoon Network wants to do eventually anyway).

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I'm reminded of when Comcast dropped the "G4" channel back in 2010, that started the death spiral for that channel.
You mean DirecTV? I have Comcast and I got G4 until 2014, but the channel was dropped by DirecTV in 2010.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
You mean DirecTV? I have Comcast and I got G4 until 2014, but the channel was dropped by DirecTV in 2010.

Yeah. In retrospect, I think Comcast was the last cable provider to carry G4, until dropping the channel in 2014. But really, G4 was all reruns from early 2013 until the end of 2014, when they finally pulled the plug. It's DirecTV that started the purge though, back in 2010.

Just wondering if something similar is starting here, with Cartoon Network.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts