"X-Universe" Movie News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
This news and discussion thread is dedicated to Fox's ongoing continuity of X-Men movies, spin off titles, and television.

xuniverse.jpg

Movies
X-Men
Talkback Thread
DVD Talkback
July 14, 2000

X2: X-Men United
Talkback Thread
DVD Talkback
May 2, 2003

X-Men: The Last Stand
Talkback Thread
May 26, 2006

X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Talkback Thread
May 1, 2009

X-Men: First Class
Talkback Thread
June 3, 2011

The Wolverine
Talkback Thread
July 26, 2013

X-Men: Days of Future Past
Talkback Thread
May 23, 2014

Fantastic Four
Talkback Thread
News & Discussion Part 1
News & Discussion Part 2

August 7, 2015

Deadpool
Talkback Thread
News & Discussion Part 1
February 12, 2016

X-Men: Apocalypse
Talkback Thread
News & Discussion Part 1
News & Discussion Part 2

May 27, 2016

Logan
Talkback Thread
News & Discussion Part 1
March 3, 2017

Deadpool 2
News & Discussion Part 1
Date: June 1, 2018 May 18, 2018

X-Men: Dark Phoenix
News & Discussion Part 1
Date: November 2, 2018

New Mutants
News & Discussion Part 1
Date: March 2, 2018 (rumored) April 13, 2018 February 22, 2019

Deadpool 3
News & Discussion
Date September 6, 2024

Shelved

X-Men: Dark Phoenix Part 2

Date: TBA

X-Force
News & Discussion Part 1
Date TBA

Gambit
News & Discussion Part 1
October 7, 2016 February 14, 2019 June 7, 2019

Multiple Man
Date TBA

Unassigned Release Dates
October 6, 2017 (Gambit delayed)
January 12, 2018 (Spielberg movie "The Post")
March 2, 2018 (Shifted to April 13 or "Red Sparrow")
June 29, 2018 (Shifted to June 1?)
November 2, 2018 (Dark Phoenix)
February 14, 2019 (Gambit)
June 7, 2019 (Gambit)
November 22, 2019
March 13, 2020
June 26, 2020
October 2, 2020
March 5, 2021

X-Men Television Series

A. Legion
Season 1 Talkback Thread

Status: 8 Episode First Season on FX; Renewed for Second Season
Start Date: February 8, 2017
Producer: Noah Hawley, Bryan Singer, Jeph Loeb
Premise: "Since he was a teenager, David has struggled with mental illness. Diagnosed as schizophrenic, David has been in and out of psychiatric hospitals for years. But after a strange encounter with a fellow patient, he’s confronted with the possibility that the voices he hears and the visions he sees might be real."

B. Hellfire [ABANDONED]
Producer: Evan Katz & Manny Coto, Patrick McKay & John D. Payne, Bryan Singer, Jeph Loeb
Premise: Set in the '60s, the show is said to "follow a young special agent who learns that a power-hungry woman with extraordinary abilities is working with a clandestine society of millionaires -- known as 'The Hellfire Club' -- to take over the world."

C. The Gifted
Season One Talkback Thread

Status:13 Episode First Season on Fox, Renewed for a Second Season
Start Date: October 2, 2017
Producer: Matt Nix, Bryan Singer, Lauren Shuler Donner, Simon Kinberg, Jeph Loeb, and Jim Chory
Premise: Gifted will focus on two ordinary parents who discover their children possess mutant powers. Forced to go on the run from a hostile government, the family joins up with an underground network of mutants and must fight to survive.

Reference

Stryker's Computer in X-2: Files, Folders -- Notes on who appeared: Files, Folders
==========================================================================

I suppose desperation forces Mystique to work with Xavier again in order to save Magneto (and the world). And that informs why she still worked with him in the events of the first X-Men movie. That bond and bringing him back from the brink.
Kinberg also confirmed the future of X-Men will be like Star Wars, mainline X-Men movies and stand alones.

Last edited:

the greenman

When they say mainline, I'm guessing they plan on sticking to one team. Then for the stand alones and spinoffs, stuff like Deadpool, New Mutants, etc.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
When they say mainline, I'm guessing they plan on sticking to one team. Then for the stand alones and spinoffs, stuff like Deadpool, New Mutants, etc.
Yeah. Kinda too late to go with X-Men: Second Class to start the next trilogy but sounds like they have a handful of core characters that they want in the mainline movies.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Rogue, Colossus, Iceman and Shadowcat among them. Hopefully Fox will devote more time to that cast before they all become too old to play the parts.
No need to complicate things even further given the fact that there's a current young cast of X-men (without those characters). Recasting them is inevitable unless for w/e reason Fox decides the need to bring those OT actors back for a sequel set in modern time or another distant future. I'd prefer the recast.

the greenman

FOX can still use Scarlet Witch as well as their sister Polaris exclusively. I need to see a film that takes advantage of the family drama of the Maximoffs.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
I imagine Wanda in the X-men universe is probably institutionaled like in X-men Evolution

Frontier

Staff member
I always got this feeling he wanted to cast the next Wolverine. Looks like that may happen.

I don't see them recasting Logan anytime soon, and it's not like they can get away with casting a younger actor because of Wolverine's Healing Factor and how iconic Jackman is.

At most I could see them incorporating X-23/Laura as a new Wolverine so there's someone who can fill that niche in the movies even without Jackman.

the greenman

I actually hope Singer will properly adapt the Dark Phoenix Saga now, sense he dropped the ball on us since X2. I imagine the next trilogy can completely involve that now. Though I want the Morlocks and Mr. Sinister first.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
11/16: Sequel talk already. Rumor is filming in Montreal in 2017 with Singer back.

11/17: Unless, post-1983 to the mid-90s-ish will be the next trilogy and chock full of disaster level events worthy of three more movies. And Wolverine still isn't part of the X-Men until the 2000s like the original movie.

I actually hope Singer will properly adapt the Dark Phoenix Saga now, sense he dropped the ball on us since X2. I imagine the next trilogy can completely involve that now. Though I want the Morlocks and Mr. Sinister first.
Sinister sounds like the next logical villain to go to after Apocalypse considering their connection in the comics. Speaking of X2, I think his name did show up on Deathstrike's list...

Really? I haven't seen the older XMen films in many years. I think Bryan Canston pulled a Channing Tatum and said he would love to play Mr. Sinister. Hmmm.
Me neither, I'll look around and see if there's a grab. I could be misremembering.

EDIT: Found it. He's on a folder, "Dr. Nathaniel Essex" at the bottom of the third row (the row under the 'Help' tab).

Pic of Stryker's list.

Cranston, eh? Well, Kelsey Grammar wanted to be Beast... I'm down for Cranston.

I will say I think Singer should rightfully be the one to film the Dark Phoenix Saga. One of the things he could bring to it is the outerspace aspect with the Shiar and other aliens.
I'd definitely like to see them start using Shi'ar and aliens in an X-Men movie - could put the whole human-mutant debate in a new perspective, lol.

Last edited:

the greenman

Sinister sounds like the next logical villain to go to after Apocalypse considering their connection in the comics. Speaking of X2, I think his name did show up on Deathstrike's list...
Really? I haven't seen the older XMen films in many years. I think Bryan Canston pulled a Channing Tatum and said he would love to play Mr. Sinister. Hmmm.

I will say I think Singer should rightfully be the one to film the Dark Phoenix Saga. One of the things he could bring to it is the outerspace aspect with the Shiar and other aliens.

EDIT: Found it. He's on a folder, "Dr. Nathaniel Essex" at the bottom of the third row (the row under the 'Help' tab).

Pic of Stryker's list.

Cranston, eh? Well, Kelsey Grammar wanted to be Beast... I'm down for Cranston.

That's cool. Also saw Omega Red and Garrison Kane (Weapon X) who was rumored to be in the Deadpool script.

I'd definitely like to see them start using Shi'ar and aliens in an X-Men movie - could put the whole human-mutant debate in a new perspective, lol.

Yes, I suspect they might have some rights problems though, as some of those characters debuted in non-X books. Too properly do the Dark Phoenix Saga though, they must go outerspace. One thing to consider, they should or could use Fantastic Four alien characters, while they still have the rights.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
It would be interesting for them to start over again with Senator Kelly his arc in the first movie was incredibly rushed.

the greenman

I don't expect (no pun intended) another prime team X-Men film for another 5 years after next year. Fox seems to be finally expanding out with Deadpool, New Mutants, Gambit, and possibly X-Force. So they will give these kids time to age, and I have no doubt if they do The Phoenix Saga, it'll be a fashoinable two-parter.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Having said all that, this can't continue - the films keep jumping ahead 10 years, and they're pushing it now with expecting us to see McAvoy and Fassbender as being in their forties (and Hoult in his thirties). The repeated comments about this being a conclusion to 6 films suggest that there will be another big shake-up after this like there was in the transition from The Last Stand to First Class, and perhaps that's best.
Yeah, in interviews it didn't seem like they were 100% decided on starting a new trilogy. Granted this movie is in 1983 and they could shorten the time jumps to stay in the 80s and 90s for a theoretical trilogy, they have to secure the cast they need.

Though if anyone dies, it should definitely be Mystique...
Man, yeah. I get they're under that belief higher stakes in the next movie means they have to kill people but I don't really want any of them to die... they sorta got rid of the ones I didn't care about in Days of Future Past. Well o.s. but they did.

the greenman

Seeing how FOX seems content with keeping their X-Men films, I think they're going to (need to) look into their other X-Men related properties.

Starjammers
The Savage Land

I suspect they're lawyers are going over the books and the rights. Some of the space characters in Starjammers are probably not owned by Fox as they didn't make their initial appearance in the X-Men books.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Seeing how FOX seems content with keeping their X-Men films, I think they're going to (need to) look into their other X-Men related properties.

Starjammers
The Savage Land

I suspect they're lawyers are going over the books and the rights. Some of the space characters in Starjammers are probably not owned by Fox as they didn't make their initial appearance in the X-Men books.
We're going to be bombarded by scifi fantasy features in the coming years, so if that one becomes as big of a hassle they should consider the multitude of other teams they have more readily available.
For now, they seem to have an interesting variety to really flesh out the world of mutants even if those shows aren't part of that cinematic universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts