"X-Universe" Movie News & Discussion Thread Part 2 (Spoilers)

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Maybe he's writing the script for the Gambit that would be up his alley.

Still, he's probably not the worst choice to write an X-Men movie, the absolute worst one being Chuck Astin.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Look I'm sure Brian Michael Bendis is obviously under some sort of contract to not say anything negative and he likely is still getting paid to write a script which IMHO is the reason people keep writing all these scripts for these super hero movies even if ones owned by say FOX or DC will NEVER happen: because they get money for doing so from studios just desperate for production to be going on projects in SOME form to appear more on top of things then they actually are. You know promoting a positive image and so forth. Thus yeah the guy's probably working on a script but... yeah

IT"S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

Kevin Feige and the rest of the MCU team have made it clear when they get the rights to the X-Men and the like pretty much 90% at least is being thrown out. Again I think a lot related to Deadpool will be kept since that can be decently integrated easily enough but a lot of the main line of movies and potential spin offs and reboots that were given scripts are going to be flushed down the toilet in favor of whatever the MCU's plans for these characters are. So yeah this movie isn't happening. 143 would only have a shot of getting made if Bendis was able to not only totally finish the script but actually get a team around to start the various forms of pre production of the movie (location scouting, building sets, hiring visual effects team, getting actors together etc etc) and actually start filming it BEFORE June when the deal will fully go into effect. Since otherwise yeah then there won't even be a FOX Studios for this project and thus it will just disappear into the ether. I do kind of feel bad for these creative staff who have to act like things are still business as usual when it's obvious they know they aren't but... again contracts, as yeah if they were heavily into wanting to actually make these projects they just aren't going to happen. And really at this point we need to look forward and not past on them. IMHO Dark Phoenix and New Mutants should still come out in theaters and be judged for what they are but then we just... shut the book on Fox's world of mutants and focus on what their next chapter is back home at Marvel. And stop giving any thought to not projects like these.

the greenman

Yes, in terms of the X-Men side, they probably will be gone. I'm not even sure they're allowed to use pieces of scripts or outlines at Disney. Fox did use part of Bryan Singer's "X-Men Origins: Magneto" in First Class. Perhaps something like that migjt come about, but I doubt it.

I'm cautiously looking forward to see what they do with a Silver Surfer solo film though.

Neo Ultra Mike

Yes, in terms of the X-Men side, they probably will be gone. I'm not even sure they're allowed to use pieces of scripts or outlines at Disney. Fox did use part of Bryan Singer's "X-Men Origins: Magneto" in First Class. Perhaps something like that migjt come about, but I doubt it.

Well Bryan Singer is still credited as not just a producer but one of the people behind the story behind First Class. Not to mention that all X-Men movies then were still at the FOX bracket so it's not like they were taking notes between companies or anything. Here though Disney has made clear they are not using any of the assets previously established by the Fox team except again for Deadpool. So yeah pretty clear even if they could they really wouldn't especially since the MCU doesn't pointlessly green light something they may never get around to ever even making.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Maybe he's writing the script for the Gambit that would be up his alley.

Still, he's probably not the worst choice to write an X-Men movie, the absolute worst one being Chuck Astin.
It doesn't seem as though Bendis' run gets much more love than Austen's. Wasn't Bendis connected to Tim Miller's Kitty Pryde? If Deadpool 3 and X-Force aren't happening, I don't see them going forward with anything else.

Neo Ultra Mike

I think the fact Lauren says "it's in Disney's hand" specifically "Fiege gets to decide" and "there can't be too many different franchises going at once" yeah kind of implies pretty much all the previous X-Men and continuities are done and they are totally doing their own thing not listening to the half scribbled ideas of these scripts without any other backing. Especially since Feige was pretty adamant on the whole "there is only one continuity for the MCU" and on wanting to do FRESH ideas with the X-Men and the like which includes sans Deadpool (which he said they would likely keep) totally rebooting everything else. I mean Feige has to play nice with Amy Pascal and her Spider-Man properties but no way is he going to follow the blue prints of some other studio he doesn't have to so again all these other scripts being talked about mean NOTHING and aren't going to be films going forward so yeah in the next few months you hear anyone still talking about them ignore them really it's probably for the best.

Neo Ultra Mike

With Deadpool's style it can easily mock any "continuity changes" within the world around it in it's own movies. I would hope though that'd mean we'd see Ryan Reynolds pop up as DP in a few Avengers related movies as well in addition to his own since again you can edit him to fit and give rationale for it. But yeah it's as I've said before: DP will be the only real brand continuing to do more what it was doing before as it's clear every other X-Men related brand will be rebooted from scratch.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I doubt the same would be true for the X-Men, but I wonder how that will factor into character crossover :confused:.
He's speaking hypothetically I think but it was a eye brow raising comment. I don't hate the idea but introducing mutants in the MCU will definitely take some finesse and caution.

the greenman

Some are thinking this next Avengers opens up a parallel universe. So that, if true, would allow for mutants. I feel like Marvel should deal with Namor first. For the popularity of Aquaman #1, and #2 to deal with mutants.

lowell

Wouldn't be surprised if Marvel could do an R-rated Homecoming-style Deadpool movie set in the MCU, considering we have had an origin story set up already, unless they want to tell a new origin story of Deadpool considering the XCU continuity is ending with Dark Phoenix, Legion Season 3, New Mutants, and the Gifted.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Wouldn't be surprised if Marvel could do an R-rated Homecoming-style Deadpool movie set in the MCU, considering we have had an origin story set up already, unless they want to tell a new origin story of Deadpool considering the XCU continuity is ending with Dark Phoenix, Legion Season 3, New Mutants, and the Gifted.
Disney hasn't done an R rated movie in over a decade. It would probably have to be under the Fox umbrella.

lowell

Don't they have another imprint for releasing movies that don't fall under the traditional Disney brand :confused:?
It’s Touchstone but they will likely use Fox for future non-Marvel rated-R films. The weirdest thing right now is that there are people online saying Disney is lying about R-rated films continuing and the only way they’ll believe Disney is if the R-related films were released under Disney branding. Disney is a family brand, that will ruin their reputation for being known for family fare unlike Warner Bros. who do have animation and some notable all ages IPs but do pursue R-rated films under their brand anyway.

the greenman

FOX still has Avatar, Predator, and Alien franchises. More than likely, in combination with all those that's what's being referred to here. However, Feige is still officially in charge of Marvel Studios was it's brought under Disney. We'll have to see how he wants to deal with the other films like Deadpool. Will he want to bring them in the MCU.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts