X-Men: TAS "Sanctuary, Parts 1 & 2" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment On This Episode!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

Bird Boy

WF Admin
Staff member
Discuss this classic two-part X-Men: The Animated Series episode!

xmenlogo.jpg
Episode #51: Sactuary, Part One
Original Airdate - 21st October 1995
Weary of battling for mutant supremacy, Magneto offers to transport all mutants to an orbiting asteroid named Asteroid M where they can live peaceful and human-free lives. However, Fabian Cortez tricks Magneto into an escape pod and launches him into space. When the X-Men arrive to investigate Magneto's intentions, Cortez blames Magneto's disappearance on them and accuses them of assassinating their long-time foe!

Episode #52: Sactuary, Part Two
Original Airdate - 28th October 1995
As Magneto plummets helplessly to Earth, Fabian Cortez assumes control of Asteroid M and sends hundreds of missiles towards Earth. Meanwhile, Rogue goes to help the X-Men and tries to find a missing Gambit. Magneto frees himself and unleashes the fury of his powers to try and destroy both the missiles and Asteroid M...but will it be enough to save the Earth?

Comments?

Spider-Man

This is one of my favorite arcs from the show. I really enjoyed "Sanctuary," and hopefully we can get some nice discussion out of it!

Cyclops

I really liked this two-part episode. It's one of my favorite stories and I'm proud to say I also own it on DVD. I though the show did a great job at condensing the Asteroid M saga from the comics into a respectable two part episode. It would've been cooler to see it as a season long subplot, before it's destruction, but it's still a great story nonetheless.

Pyro

I thought it was pretty good, had a nice X-Men feel to it. To bad I don't get the whole Ameilia Vought thing. Was she in the comics? Professor X has had so many lovers! :rolleyes:

czyznyck99

Pyro~ManiacX said:
I thought it was pretty good, had a nice X-Men feel to it. To bad I don't get the whole Ameilia Vought thing. Was she in the comics? Professor X has had so many lovers! :rolleyes:

Yeah, she was in the comics, and she was one of the more devoted Acolytes when Exodus took over. The TV show plays the lover angle a little too much at times, but there was something between Charles and Amelia.

"Sanctuary" is one of my favorite stories, because it actually addresses Magneto's own dream for peace for all mutants. In this story, for once, he was the good guy, which was very different from the comics version when he rebuilt Avalon after the first asteroid crashed (he went right for the X-Men and nearly killed them all). In fact, I would take a pretty good guess that if the series had continued, it would have gone towards that story. Magneto's time with the X-Men was so he could gain access towards their technology to rebuild Avalon while Charles was healing his injuries. It's too bad we didn't get to see Exodus, though, as he was the real bad ass of the whole Acolyte saga.

And of course, Apocalypse at the end of the story was the most enjoyable part for me.

Later.

Mynd Hed

Holy blue on a popo!
Ah, now THIS is the X-Men I remember: some good political shizzy, a very sympathetic "villain" in Magneto, some fun chemistry between Rogue and Gambit for the fans... good stuff overall. Of course, it does have its flaws-- the animation is about as good as it ever got in X-Men as I recall, but still isn't all that great, and the voice acting is pretty darn bad most of the time.

I love the dichotomy between Xavier and Magneto, where Xavier is more like Martin Luther King and Magneto is more like Malcom X. The wonderful thing about this episode is that they're both absolutely right: Xavier is right that creating a separate mutant nation is ultimately only going to increase distrust between mutant and non-mutant and almost certainly lead to war, but Magneto is right that allowing the status quo to continue is tantamount to damning thousands if not millions of mutants to further persecution and possibly death or slavery in some cases. It's a real quandary, a damned-if-you-do / damned-if-you-don't situation with no good solution. I like it.

I just read the X-Men "Mutant Genesis" trade paperback not too long ago, and I must say this was an excellent and VERY faithful translation of a very good comic story. I especially liked the little flashback to the original five X-Men training, complete with the old-school style costumes from the very first issues of The Uncanny X-Men. It was nice to see Iceman, too-- I really wish they'd made him a main character in the cartoon, 'cause he's a personal favorite of mine.

My only real gripe with the episode is that it didn't seem to make much sense at the end when Magneto destroyed Asteroid M: he'd destroyed the traitor and averted war, for the present anyway. I didn't really understand why he didn't continue to pursue his dream of a separate mutant nation. Ah, well, whatever.

Overall Grade: B-

Pyro

Mynd Hed said:
I just read the X-Men "Mutant Genesis" trade paperback not too long ago, and I must say this was an excellent and VERY faithful translation of a very good comic story.
I'm going to have to check out this TPB. It sounds good.

Mynd Hed

Holy blue on a popo!
Pyro~ManiacX said:
I'm going to have to check out this TPB. It sounds good.

If you liked the Sanctuary 2-parter, you'll like it: it's a pretty much direct translation of the main plot, but there's also a very interesting subplot in the comic version that they didn't have time to include in the TAS episodes.

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
One of the many reasons why X-Men TAS captured Magnetos character perfectly.

Magneto isn't a bad guy. Sanctuary shows this. He believes he is right in making mutants take thier place as the superior race on earth. He doesn't consider what he does evil, which is probably what makes him easily the greatest X-Men villian. Here, he once again tries to help his fellow mutants, and even befriends humans to gain his dream, instead of killing them as someone like Apocolypse would do.

Well worth *****. Keep these X-Men talkbacks coming gentlemen!

Spider-Man

LEGACY said:
Didn`t they have some scenes that were edited out in this ep?

ABC Family edits pretty much all of their shows for time and content. Something I'd like to see, actually, in these threads is people making note of obvious edits that they've noticed in any given episode. But yes, there were edits, just like in every other episode ABC Family airs.

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Part One Airs this Morning. Check out Toon Zone's Schedeles for more information.

sanc1.jpg

Episode #51: Sactuary, Part One
Original Airdate - 21st October 1995

Weary of battling for mutant supremacy, Magneto offers to transport all mutants to an orbiting asteroid where they can live human-free lives in peace. However, the governments of the world feel threatened by Magneto's plan, and decide to blow the asteroid up until Professor X intervenes on Magneto's behalf. In an effort to understand Magneto's intentions, Beast, Gambit, and Xavier visit Magneto's peaceful asteroid, only to be implicated in the assassination of Magneto!

Comments?

Spider-Man

I'm not sure what it is about these episode but this two-part story is a real highlight for me in the X-Men cartoon. The clash between the Sentinels and Magneto's attempts with Asteroid M. The animation isn't great and the dialogue suffers a few times but I just really enjoyed this storyline. I really liked how this cartoon used Magneto and his character shined here.

ShadowDemon

This may seem a bit odd, but the thing that I liked most about "Sanctuary", esp Part 1 was a little moment towards the end. When the alarm goes off and people are seen running from what are assumed to be their bedrooms, Gambit comes out one door...followed by a female Acolyte (Frenzy, IIRC)...nice little bit that they slipped by the S&P boys... ;)

A.Magik

czyznyck99 said:
Magneto's time with the X-Men was so he could gain access towards their technology to rebuild Avalon while Charles was healing his injuries.
Wrong. Magneto's time with the X-Men was spent teaching the New Mutants and helping the senior team. He was undergoing reform, remember? Perhaps he learned about the Shi'ar technology, but that was not the reason he succeeded Xavier as headmaster of the School for Gifted Youngsters. He really wanted to see if Xavier's dream would work.

That giant satellite Magneto showed to the X-Men at Illyana Rasputin's funeral was Cable's base, which Magneto stole from him shortly before. Xavier, not knowing this, made the mistaken assumption that Magneto built this thing during his headmaster period.

A.Magik

The Jazzman

thug, louse, legend
I agree that 'Sanctuary' stands as a model episode and typifies the show's potential. Additionally, the character of Cortez came off as one of the more dissolute and berserk villains of the series, which was fantastic; in many ways he reminded me of Gary Oldman's Stansfield from 'The Professional' with his over the top rages and generally unhinged demeanor. Unfortunately, his return in 'The Fifth Horsemen' left much to be desired.

Spider-Man

Mynd Hed said:
I just read the X-Men "Mutant Genesis" trade paperback not too long ago, and I must say this was an excellent and VERY faithful translation of a very good comic story. I especially liked the little flashback to the original five X-Men training, complete with the old-school style costumes from the very first issues of The Uncanny X-Men. It was nice to see Iceman, too-- I really wish they'd made him a main character in the cartoon, 'cause he's a personal favorite of mine.
Is the "Mutant Genesis" story the one that kicked off the 1990's X-Men comic with Chris Claremont and Jim Lee at the helm? And what was the subplot dropped from that story?

Cortez did seem abit out there but it's possible that his power could have influenced that abit. Cortez is essentially a battery charger so his own power must be inconsistent at best and would probably unhinge him quite abit. He could have been developed abit more though.

Spider-Man

The Jazzman said:
I agree that 'Sanctuary' stands as a model episode and typifies the show's potential. Additionally, the character of Cortez came off as one of the more dissolute and berserk villains of the series, which was fantastic; in many ways he reminded me of Gary Oldman's Stansfield from 'The Professional' with his over the top rages and generally unhinged demeanor. Unfortunately, his return in 'The Fifth Horsemen' left much to be desired.
This episode is airing today and seeing as how it is one of my favorites I wanted to bump it up. I hope some people will post but it seems a bit light here lately for posting.

This is just an overall excellent episode. While the Earth's magnetic feild rejuvenating Magneto is a bit of a stretch (but how cool is that "I LIVE!" scene?) this is just a solid episode over all. To spark some interest here are some goofs from the episode, courtesy of tvtome.com:

-How does Magneto know about the Genoshan's comments about mutants?
-He doesn't have super hearing, and was outside the building when it was said.
-Immediately following the first commercial break, Magneto's position of floating remains the same in the camera shot, despite it panning up from the crowd. It makes it look like he floats upward, when he's been floating above them the whole time.
-It'd be impossible for Magneto to have gotten all of the footage he showed to the UN. Between the varying angles, the rapid-paced cutting, and some settings where nobody could've been filming. It's for the TV audience's benefit of elaboration, not for an in-show bit of storytelling, so it's forgiven.
-The mutant crowd at the airport is shown already at the desk, then away from it and approaching, then the same "at the desk" shot is shown again.
-When saying all mutants are welcome on Asteroid M to Xavier, Magneto's eyes repeatedly move out of place on his face!
-The Acolytes are supposedly new additions, showing up to join Magneto's side only at Genosha. Yet, the Gambit computer scene shows Byron Calley in Acolyte costume, meaning he was part of Asteroid M prior to that scene. Same with Amelia Voght, who is already on the asteroid when the others arrive.
-When Xavier claims Magneto may depend upon it like a drug, Beast's mouth is moving, not his.
-The two scientists standing in the hall when Magneto says they have a world to create, both have green hair. Yet, in the next scene, it's revealed only one does.
-When Magneto says there will be no further agression, Cortez's upper lip is white.
-Beast claims Xavier lost the use of his legs while he fought Magneto. Season 2 having Xavier using his legs in the Savage Land throws that into doubt, since it appears there, like in the comics, his handicap comes due to psychological barriers placed in his mind for whatever reasons. It's possible Beast is wrong, though.
-Gambit opens a room marked B. He ends up exiting from a room marked A, while Beast leaves Z.
-Notice, when the alarms sound, Gambit exits his room on the asteroid without his coat on. Who exits behind him? Cargill. You could probably say they were in there together doing who knows what... but if they were, then she'd be his alibi when Cortez accuses him of assassinating Magneto, and she doesn't once speak up when that's going on.
-The space shuttle, said to belong to NASA, has "Starcore" written on it (due to footage of it being recycled from "The Phoenix Saga (2): The Dark Shroud").
-Three astronauts are with Xavier when he rushes to the shuttle. The third is never seen in the cockpit, nor in the rest of the episode, after that.
-The "metal armed" mutant on Asteroid M appears three different places in the shot over Cortez's shoulder.
-The buttons in the Blackbird are spelled "Shiar", instead of the proper "Shi'ar".
-The doors Rogue & Logan fly by have "A" and backwards "Z" on the other, meaning this shot was mirror flipped.
-The security footage of Cortez jettisoning Magneto has all sorts of angles and various shots that a security camera wouldn't be able to achieve, especially as nicely edited together as it is!
-Wolverine's mouth area is purple when he's released by Unuscione.
-Cortez is clearly pressing the green "Mutant Power ON" button on the remote, despite the orange "PAIN" one being the one he's supposed to be pressing.
-The Blackbird is right outside the silo on the asteroid when the warheads are launched. It's then far away, and heading toward the asteroid, in the next shot.
-The transport capsule, which was orange last episode, is blue here.

cuon

Call A Doctor!
This was a great episode. I always like to see infighting amongst the villains.

dmxx116

Last edited by a moderator:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts