X-Men: TAS "Have Yourself A Morlock Little X-Mas" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and comment on this episode

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 3 16.7%

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • **1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• *1/2

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Being that the festive season is upon us, I thought it would be very rude not to post this special talkback!

Episode #57 "Have Yourself a Morlock Little X-Mas"
Original Airdate: December 23rd, 1995

While the X-Men prepare for a festive Christmas celebration, Jubilee, Storm, and an extra grouchy Wolverine go last-minute shopping in Manhattan. But the jubilant mood quickly turns sour when the heroes find themselves in a race to save Leech, a member of the Morlocks.

Comments?

Fun fact: This episode premiered 8 years ago today!

Kolbar

@Cinecrisis on Twitter
This was a pretty good Christmas episode.

I think the only bad part was that it focused too much on Jubilee. She kind of got on my nerves when she kept bugging Wolverine to go to the mall and sing and to help Leech.

I can understand his reasons for almost not helping Leech. Of course, they would'nt have ever let Leech die. After all, this show first aired on Fox.

My favorite parts had to be the ones with Jean and Gambit in the kitchen. That was hilarious. The ending was the best when Jean was talking about heating up the food Gambit made for Christmas Eve dinner for another night.

It was also nice to see that Storm has relinquished her responsibility as leader of the Morlocks. It just doesn't seem fit for Storm to be the leader.

Anyway, I give this episode 4 1/2 stars.

Jean: We could warm it [Gambit's food] up tomorrow.
Gambit: Warm it up! You do not warm up such a meal. Gambit does not make TV dinners!

Spider-Man

Mr. Q said:
From what I remember that episode totally sucked...
Oh boy did it ever. What started off with a bit of promise just sort of spiraled into a sappy little tale with Wolverine saving the day by giving Leech a blood transfusion in the sewer. I understand the sentiment behind the move of helping those less fortunate but it the episode was just a mess.

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Wolverine Christmas shopping with Jubilee was lost on me even when I was a little kid. I mean... it's just completly off. The dude should be playing pool or something :)

I genereally dislike The Morlocks, and this didn't really change my mind on anything...

Fuujin

Rock-tumbler
It was predictable, mawkish, and overly edyfying. Normally, I would hate it. But as a Christmas episode, it works. I think they made the best of it, we saw some character development, insight to X-Men private lives (which are usually overshadowed by whoever wants to "destroy" them this week), and - the last but not least - a chance to see Jean showing some negative character trait! She actually was upset!

The animation was relatively nice, and voice actors did a good job too. Storm was actually tolerable, Cal Dodd has some great one-liners, and Catherine Disher pulled off Jean's anger nicely.

F

Fortune

I liked this one, it was a really good episode as the Christmas in me was brought out. :p

Spider-Man

Amazing Spidey said:
Best part of the episode right there. :)
I really have to disagree. I thought that little scene was so annoying...especially how Gambit...talks...like this...I know these Christmas episodes aren't meant to always be deep character studies but this episode was just downright awful. Give me X-Men: Evolution's "On Angel Wings" anyday. At this point I'd even settle for "Christmas with the Joker."

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Why not ruin Christmas and watch this crappy episode today on Jetix? :D

28.jpg

Episode #61 - Have Yourself a Morlock Little X-Man
Original Airdate - 24th December 1996

While the X-Men prepare for a festive Christmas celebration, Jubilee, Storm, and an extra grouchy Wolverine go last-minute shopping in Manhattan. But the jubilant mood quickly turns sour when the heroes find themselves in a race to save Leech, a member of the Morlocks.

Comments?

Spider-Man

I can remember watching this and being completely embarrassed. I can't bring myself to rewatch this episode. I probably haven't watched it in a good five years or so and I just don't think I can bring myself to dig out the old VHS. I understand there was some fine intentions behind this episode but the execution is just awful. There's just too much to pick at to be enjoyable. I can usually shut my brain off when watching that early Christmas Batman episode because despite all the faults it really is fun. But this episode just can't reach that level. This episode is worse than getting a lump of coal in my stocking.

Movie-Brat

Ok, I never seen this episode so I'm curious to watch it including Mojovision, so I'm just going to wait until those episodes air and if that X-Mas episode is that bad, well we have a better version, remember the X-Men Evolution episode with Angel?

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The holidays are upon us once again, so there's no better time to check out this holiday-themed episode! Happy Holidays!

28.jpg

X-Men: The Animated Series
Episode #61 - Have Yourself a Morlock Little X-Mas
Original Airdate: December 23rd, 1995

Comments?

If you're looking to discuss other related Marvel Animation Holiday-themed shows, check out X-Men: Evolution "On Angel's Wings". Also check out the Talkback Collection Thread for more related threads and episode discussions!

FlawedCoil82

Now I actually loved this episode. In fact it was one of my top favorites from the 4th season. After Rogue got screwed by not being in many Season 4 episodes (only Sanctuary 1-2 and Proteus 1-2, along with the episode with Cody/The Brood) I was very happy to see she was one of the few characters who was even in costume in this episode. It's also cool that it's the only episode from the entire series where Wolverine never once popped out his claws. When this episode first aired, it immediately put me in the Christmas spirit and ever since then, I try to watch it every year. It's a tradition (though sadly this year I didn't get to it). :crying:
Jack

Trevor

I just watched this episode on the X-Men Volume 4 DVD yesterday. But, boy its been years since I saw this episode. I maybe saw this episode once when it aired back in the 90's, but I had forgotten nearly the entire show. So it was a blast to see this episode again, and it felt like a brand-"new" episode. It also felt like it was the X-Men's version of A Christmas Carol with Wolverine being cast in the role of "Scrooge", while Jubilee was "Mr. Cratchitt" and then the two Morlock kids split the role of "Tiny Tim".

Plus I loved the scene with Rogue and Cyclops (and Jubilee) decorating the Christmas Tree. Its funny how in the X-Men Evolution Christmas episode we also saw Rogue and Cyclops infront of the Christmas tree (but I don't think they were decorating it), so it sort of looked like the producers of XE were inspired by this episode from the 90's X-Men for their own show.

Also I enjoyed how the 90's X-Men Christmas episode was nowhere as politically correct as a lot of "Christmas" shows have been that have been made since 2000. I'm gonna have to look up the XE Christmas episode, but in that episode I think it ended with a "Happy Holidays from the X-Men" instead of "Merry Christmas from all the X-Men[/i], plus people in the XE episode were more apt to say "Happy Holidays" instead of how people said "Merry Christmas" in the 90's episode. Even the selected background music in the 90's X-Men Christmas episode featured more of the religious carols being played (as I recall I heard "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" and "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" being played instrumentally in the background) even though you did have Jubilee, Cyclops and Rogue singing "Jingle Bells". XE I found only had the secular Christmas songs in the background music such as "Jingle Bells" and "Jolly Old Saint Nicholas".

Anyway, I give Have Yourself A Morlock Little X-Mas 5 stars.

Nygma

it sort of looked like the producers of XE were inspired by this episode from the 90's X-Men for their own show.

God I hope not!:shrug:

Comparing this episode to "On Angels Wings" is like comparing anti-matter to matter.

This episode was nothing but pretentious garbage, that has no subtlety to its message. It's pure kitsch, it represents everything I hate about the average Christmas special.

And say what you want about Evolutions version of Wolverine, but at least he was portrayed the way he should've been in that episode.

FlawedCoil82

Well the X-Men Evolution episode "On Angel's Wings" was certainly the best episode of that series. But I still enjoy "Have Yourself A Morlock Little X-Mas" more than the XME episode. This episode gave me much more of a happy type feeling, where the XME episode is more dark. The best part of the XME episode is when they are playing that beautiful piano music when they are showing how the members are spending time with their families. The only thing I didn't like about "Have Yourself..." was when Jubilee said "it's Christmas eve..." and hits the presents like a drama queen (in regard to the possibility of Leech dying). The way they make her voice echo and play the "dramatic music" just really irritates me. Oh, and when she said the Morlock tree was the prettiest tree she had ever seen. She either hasn't seen too many trees before or else she was a blatant liar. :sad:

But yea, I love this episode. I watch it every Christmas eve and it never fails to put me in the Christmas spirit. This and "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation". :p
Jack

Trevor

Oh, and when she said the Morlock tree was the prettiest tree she had ever seen. She either hasn't seen too many trees before or else she was a blatant liar. :sad:

:p
Jack

Could it be that Jubilee was just being, you know, polite?

But even though the XE episode is one of that series good episodes, it doesn't hold a candle to this episode.

sdp

miscrave
I saw this episode when I was watching through TAS a few months ago and I thought it was a horrible episode. But you know, now that I actually think back to it its an awesome episode. Not awesome in that its any good because its not, but I now realize how much it reeks of a 90s Christmas special and that which is what makes it a horrible episode is also what makes it awesome.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.
Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts