• 1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
Having anticipated an X-Men movie since I was probably around 8 years old, I was incredibly disappointed when I saw the first movie that opening weekend. It seems to be a miracle that they ended up with the franchise starter as the production seems to have been a nightmare.

It's pretty interesting that this article come out now as Disney prepares to put the first movie on Plus. With all of the X-Men stuff over seen around lately, I hadn't realized that it's been 20 years since the release.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Yojimbo

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
East Northport
Wow does that comment especially look dated, narrow minded and idiotic now. Granted it probably was in a sense more true in 2000 before the comic book hero movie boom really cemented especially with Marvel heroes and though yeah a couple of years later Spider Man would have a more original look with X-Men trying to be more grounded in tone maybe they figured it'd make more sense to have everyone have matching uniforms but... yeah it just seems so stupid now and really I hope if that guy is still trying to use that justification it's pointed out not only the MCU costumes being more authentic and generating a bigger box office but even FOX was doing that with Deadpool.

Also really thinking about it the reason they probably went with that look is because for whatever reason black leather was just really popula in ther late 90s/early 2000's. With stuff like Blade and the Matrix and the team just trying to capitalize on that. But now to let's face it embarrassing results. Especially since unlike Blade's original comic book look the X-Men costume design has stood the test of time while the original movie costumes clearly haven't.

Reactions: Yojimbo

reflection01

Jul 16, 2005
I think the logic was sound then and helped pave the way for the more comic accurate looks we enjoy on film today.

I don’t think there’s much difference between the team in the first X-Men film all wearing black leather uniforms and the team in the first X-Men comic all wearing blue and yellow uniforms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: wonderfly

Freddy

Aug 1, 2012
I respectfully disagree. The black leather costumes were honestly pretty lame, have aged poorly and it was infuriating how Singer kept pushing for them with DOFP and Apocalypse, even though we were at that point living in post-First Class/Avengers world and superheroes were allowed to look like superheroes.

I don't even agree that they were necessary in order to not lose the audience back then. Putting aside Christopher Reeve's Superman and Tim Burton's Batman, Sam Raimi's Spider-Man came out only two years after the first X-Men, with completely comic book - looking Spider-Man and Green Goblin and that movie absolutely dwarfed X-Men in terms of both the box office and legacy.

I mean sure, tone down or even remove some aspects, like the weird pointy things of Wolverine's mask, MCU does that too, but I'm certain that X-Men could have gotten away with more comic-accurate costumes, if Singer had cared about the source material enough to try (admittedly, not his worst crime, while making the movie or period). Heck, Singer was really pushing for the gay rights subtext with his first two X-Men movies and what's the symbol of that movement? A frigging rainbow, so wouldn't it make sense to have the heroes be little bit more colorful?

I don’t think there’s much difference between the team in the first X-Men film all wearing black leather uniforms and the team in the first X-Men comic all wearing blue and yellow uniforms.
The difference is that those comic costumes still hold up as superhero costumes. There's a reason why the comics and various adaptations keep going back to them. Meanwhile, the black leather suits are such a relic of 90's/early 2000's that they don't really work in any other context.

There's a reason why "let’s just put them in black leather" has become a common punchline for lazy superhero costume design.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
I watched X-Men (2000) last night on Disney Plus, it was the first time I'd watched it in....probably 10 to 12 years. I think a little thing called the Marvel Cinematic Universe came along and distracted me from thinking about going back and rewatching the original X-Men film. I'd actually forgotten some plot points (how Senator Kelly escaped from Magneto's cell, why Magneto wanted Rogue, the cheesy "Wolverine steals Cyclops' motorcycle" scene.

I used to own this film on VHS. Not sure what happened to my copy. Where has the time gone? It just feels like....the summer of the year 2000 was a long time ago.

EDIT: I'm gonna get sidetracked for a minute, but, as I watched it last night, I got a kick out of the clothing and hair style of the students at the school (and in the opening scene with Rogue kissing the boyfriend). They're all so....."preppy high school circa 2000" in appearance.

Made me think of a bunch of films set in high school that were released around the year 2000, stuff that I used to love like "Final Destination" and "American Pie". I was around 4 years out of high school by that point (in 2000) but this made me think "Man, we've all aged. These 'teenage' actors were all so young back then."

Actually, that applies to Hugh Jackman as well. He just.....looks so different from how he appeared even just a couple years ago in "The Greatest Showman".

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
With whatever problems I've had with the first X-Men movie, I don't think I ever really had a problem with the costumes. I always wanted to see comic accurate costumes on screen as a kid but since the 90s Batman movies, the preeminent superhero movie franchise of the day, I just had it in my head that these were the kinds of changes Hollywood was going to make whenever a superhero movie got to the big screen, at least if it wanted to be taken seriously. I don't think I was really mad about costumes in an X-Men movie until X-Men Apocalypse, where they have to wear these ugly battle suits through all of the action and then you got a five-second tease at the end of suits paying homage to the comics costumes, before they're dumped by the next movie like Jubilee. It does feel really good when you can go to a movie like Aquaman and you see them pull off something that looks like it came off 40 year old comic pages and looks great.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
With whatever problems I've had with the first X-Men movie, I don't think I ever really had a problem with the costumes. I always wanted to see comic accurate costumes on screen as a kid but since the 90s Batman movies, the preeminent superhero movie franchise of the day, I just had it in my head that these were the kinds of changes Hollywood was going to make whenever a superhero movie got to the big screen, at least if it wanted to be taken seriously. I don't think I was really mad about costumes in an X-Men movie until X-Men Apocalypse, where they have to wear these ugly battle suits through all of the action and then you got a five-second tease at the end of suits paying homage to the comics costumes, before they're dumped by the next movie like Jubilee. It does feel really good when you can go to a movie like Aquaman and you see them pull off something that looks like it came off 40 year old comic pages and looks great.

I did have an issue with the costumes back then. However, it was a thing of thinking of designers needed practicality and also realism. Honestly Jackman's Wolverine quickly warmed me over. I mean we had Superman and Batman get it right so early Marvel got a pass. Also in the 90's it seemed Black was just the thing (Blade, the Crow, Barb Wire).

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Both "Le Corn Maze Of Doom" and "Too Cute To Spook" are tied with 1 vote each. I'll be tiebreaker. I pick "Too Cute To Spook" to move on. The next matchup is between the Elena Of Avalor episode "The Return Of El Capitan" and the Vampirina episode "Dia De Los Muertos".

Watch Herman The Mice On The Go!
I think twitter social media posts seems to be more advantages... I have a bad feeling, that some or few twitter posts can be containing bully message of racists, I don't know maybe it's best for me to leave twitter, it's just not worth it if people express opinions, or someone maybe politics...
Today's Ollie's Pack episode: second half episode beginning has two sick friends but not the main plot
Remember when Ben Bates criticized the animation of the recent Marvel cartoons when he talked about his Captain Marvel cartoon that wasn't picked up? Well, here's a drawing he did of Hawkeye.