X-Men: Evolution "Mutant Crush" Talkback (Spoilers)

Please rate and comment on this episode

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

Votes: 1 8.3%

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • **1/2

Votes: 4 33.3%

• *1/2

• Total voters

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I can’t blame the writers on this one. If you read the writer interviews on the X-men Evo blogs that this website had once. The writers were severely hampered by Kids WB censors. For example they weren’t allowed to continue the romantic relationships on the show. The Kitty/Lance and Cyclops/Rogue relationships had to be cut off at the knees because of the censors. The best the writers could do was imply it.

Okay I can see network censorship being a tricky thing to deal with and as especially kids show executives don't like huge continuity between shows to air episodes out of order whenever possible I can see them being tools about that sort of thing (even though again some things have a continuity and build up and resolution to them while others didn't on this show) but I can't see the network being totally against romantic relationships... considering this show actually did have them. Shadowkat and Avalanche were a couple... one with serious issues but one who still ended the show together. And yeah Scott/Rogue never went anywhere... since it was clear Rogue was always meant to be a third wheel in the Scott and Jean relationship (since you couldn't have that with Wolverine in this show) and Scott and Jean got together in Evolution in seasons 3's "Blind Alley" so not even just at the end of the show. Plus the whole point of doing a teen show is for romantic angst which does mean doing things with couples so yeah it's clear those were pushed.

I find it odd that Kids WB had a problem with the romantic relationships on X-men evo. When on Batman TAS they basically had Joker and Harley in one episode tease having sex.

But I’m guessing that had more to do with Batman being their property and X-men someone else is property. Just my opinion.

Though I will say that I'm sure some standards changed between The New Batman Adventures (as Batman the animated series wasn't made for Kids WB but for Fox kids and TNBA was made for Kids WB) and X-Men Evolution. As yeah TNBA did have an edge and focus on some more adult themes later kids WB shows wouldn't have though that's not really as much because of Batman just being their own property. Rather because between TNBA's production and Evolution starting up the big show on Kids WB became Pokemon attracting a much younger audience so the network wanted to really cater to that. In fact by the late 90s they would only greenlit shows if they starred kids or teens and adult characters were much more in the supporting cast so yeah you wouldn't get TNBA stuff when Evo aired but not just because Batman.

What other cartoons? You mean the animes you mentioned. Animes are a different breed. Japan has always been less restrictive then North America with the content of their animation. In general I was talking about US animation. The only other US animation that I know of this time that went really far was Spawn tas. But that show was meant for adults only.

I didn't mention those anime because they had those trope; I mentioned them because they relate to what a member of this board years ago worked on (as he did spoof "abridged series" of Beserk/Gantz/Escaflowne) as those weren't shows that I was referring to. I was referring to stuff like say Batman Beyond (whose episode "Rats" had Dana kidnapped by a creepy kid who wanted her to be his having stalked her from afar) and Powerpuff Girls ("Collect her" episode) and heck in live action Sabrina the Teenage Witch (the character Roland the Troll who kidnapped Sabrina a couple of times) who did that sort of plot before this episode. You know of the guy who takes women and collects them for their own twisted reason that yeah are honestly a lot more creepy now then they were at the time.

I disagree. Him tying her up and putting her in a room full of candles was not innocent. Its something you see in a horror movie like Hostel or Saw. Add to the fact that the characters are suppose to be teenagers. How they got away with that? I have zero clue.

I didn't mean innocent as in "what he's doing is okay and he's misunderstood." I'm saying he believes he is being honestly romantic and just trying to date her in a way that she'll eventually come around to liking him like he feels for her because he stupidly believes they belong together. Plus yeah it's not like she ended the epiosode horrifed or still caught but rather saved and Blob was just blasted away being shown as a comedic goober being laughed at by seagulls. And again this sort of thing was generally not seen for as skeevy as we know it would be NOW. Like in the MeToo era this I could see not happening but back in 2000 I could see standards not really having any issues with it as again this just looks a lot worse in hindsight in comparison to when it first aired.

Last edited by a moderator:

coldglynx

Okay I can see network censorship being a tricky thing to deal with and as especially kids show executives don't like huge continuity between shows to air episodes out of order whenever possible I can see them being tools about that sort of thing (even though again some things have a continuity and build up and resolution to them while others didn't on this show) but I can't see the network being totally against romantic relationships... considering this show actually did have them. Shadowkat and Avalanche were a couple... one with serious issues but one who still ended the show together. And yeah Scott/Rogue never went anywhere... since it was clear Rogue was always meant to be a third wheel in the Scott and Jean relationship (since you couldn't have that with Wolverine in this show) and Scott and Jean got together in Evolution in seasons 3's "Blind Alley" so not even just at the end of the show. Plus the whole point of doing a teen show is for romantic angst which does mean doing things with couples so yeah it's clear those were pushed.
Shadowcat and Lance didn’t end the show together. Their relationship just ended like nothing in season 3.

Rogue was a big time character on the show not just the third wheel. Again the writers did actually want Scott and Rogue together. They even had it in the end of the show with the flashback them standing next together to hint at it. This isn’t coming from me its the writers who actually wrote the show.
Though I will say that I'm sure some standards changed between The New Batman Adventures (as Batman the animated series wasn't made for Kids WB but for Fox kids and TNBA was made for Kids WB) and X-Men Evolution. As yeah TNBA did have an edge and focus on some more adult themes later kids WB shows wouldn't have though that's not really as much because of Batman just being their own property. Rather because between TNBA's production and Evolution starting up the big show on Kids WB became Pokemon attracting a much younger audience so the network wanted to really cater to that. In fact by the late 90s they would only greenlit shows if they starred kids or teens and adult characters were much more in the supporting cast so yeah you wouldn't get TNBA stuff when Evo aired but not just because Batman.
I disagree since Batman Beyond was around the same time as Evolution and Pokemon. On that show they were allowed to have romantic relationships and other edgier material.
I didn't mention those anime because they had those trope; I mentioned them because they relate to what a member of this board years ago worked on (as he did spoof "abridged series" of Beserk/Gantz/Escaflowne) as those weren't shows that I was referring to. I was referring to stuff like say Batman Beyond (whose episode "Rats" had Dana kidnapped by a creepy kid who wanted her to be his having stalked her from afar) and Powerpuff Girls ("Collect her" episode) and heck in live action Sabrina the Teenage Witch (the character Roland the Troll who kidnapped Sabrina a couple of times) who did that sort of plot before this episode. You know of the guy who takes women and collects them for their own twisted reason that yeah are honestly a lot more creepy now then they were at the time.
None of those episodes involved much attraction though. Its no different than the Mario Bros games where the Princess is kidnapped by Kong or Bowser. It was the basic kidnap the girlfriend so the hero can save them trope. With the candle thing there was an actual attraction implied with Blob towards Jean.

I didn't mean innocent as in "what he's doing is okay and he's misunderstood." I'm saying he believes he is being honestly romantic and just trying to date her in a way that she'll eventually come around to liking him like he feels for her because he stupidly believes they belong together. Plus yeah it's not like she ended the epiosode horrifed or still caught but rather saved and Blob was just blasted away being shown as a comedic goober being laughed at by seagulls. And again this sort of thing was generally not seen for as skeevy as we know it would be NOW. Like in the MeToo era this I could see not happening but back in 2000 I could see standards not really having any issues with it as again this just looks a lot worse in hindsight in comparison to when it first aired.
I actually thought Blob getting thrown into the trash and seagulls laughing at him to be pretty sad. It came off more messed up than comedic. But to each their own. Even for the 2000 on a Saturday Morning Cartoon. It was clearly pushing against the line.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

youtube Nickelodeon uploaded Young Dylan - Natural Beauty episode

youtube NickRewind streaming currently: iCarly - iGoodbye
Damn! A lot of exiting Nintendo E3 announcement today.
"Atlantis: The Lost Empire" is 20 years old today.
although i'm disappointed there wasn't an update on Metroid Prime 4. But a sequel to Metroid Fushion is coming.

Maybe it's time for me to get back with Nintendo after 11-12 years
At 18:00 CET, the Euro 2020 match between Hungary and Portugal will begin, and I'll watch it. I designed a special avatar for it in the morning.

I will revert to the "lovely" avatar tomorrow.

Featured Posts