X-Men: Evolution "Mutant Crush" Talkback (Spoilers)

Please rate and comment on this episode

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

Votes: 1 8.3%

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • **1/2

Votes: 4 33.3%

• *1/2

• Total voters

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Discuss this episode of the fan-favorite X-Men: Evolution animated series!

Episode #4 - Mutant Crush
Original Airdate - November 25, 2000

When hot-head Fred Dukes, The Blob, starts his first day of school, his girth and equally massive temper makes him one of the less popular guys in town. When Jean Grey tries to help him assimilate into his new surroundings, Blob mistakes her kindness for romance and tries to make her his girlfriend.

Comments?

Animation Otaku

It's been awhile, but if I remember this episode, like most S1 episodes, was only okay. The Scott/Rogue subplot was pretty good, but the main plot was overall pretty weak. Although it did introduce us to a great character in THE BLOB!

Gloria Harp

I was kind of upset by this episode because Freddy started off as a really nice guy and then they had to make him a villain because, obviously, he's the fat kid so he has to be the bad guy (note sarcasm). Granted, the Blob in the comics is a bad guy, but it annoyed me nonetheless.

And did you ever notice that the X-Men kids, although they complain about being outsiders and whatnot, look like the super popular trendy kids in high school whereas the "bad guys" (the brotherhood) are portrayed as the real rejects/geeks of high school?

I also was kind of skeeved out by the Rogue/Scott thing (no offense). It's just too weird for me to think of them as an item or anything like that...*shudders*

Mynd Hed

Holy blue on a popo!
Like the Otaku over there said, it's been awhile, but as I recall this was a pretty typical Season 1 episode-- which is to say, it had a high point or two, but overall was pretty weak and trite. The whole "nice popular girl/guy is nice to outcast, outcast becomes obsessed with him/her, outcast becomes dangerous and needs his/her butt kicked" plot has been done before and done better. To the episode's credit, like most Evolution episodes it had good animation, passable voice work, and some nice fight scenes. Rogue kicking ass with Scott's laser eyes near the end was particularly a treat, although I recall being confused as to how she can hold the beams back with her eyes open while Scott can't-- or am I remembering the episode wrong?

Overall Grade: D+

Mysterious Saturn

Caught a Lite Sneeze
Mynd Hed said:
although I recall being confused as to how she can hold the beams back with her eyes open while Scott can't-- or am I remembering the episode wrong?

Well, I remember Rogue mentioning that she only took a little bit of power from Scott. He was unconscious, and if she took a lot, he'd be dead.

From what I hear of the Blob in the comics, his character in X-Men Evolution is a big improvement. I've heard he doesn't have much personality in the comic books.

Anyways, I really would have liked it if they did a twist and had the Blob join the X-Men instead of the Brotherhood. It would have shaken things up a bit in the rather dry season, I think.

Animation Otaku

Mynd Hed said:
although I recall being confused as to how she can hold the beams back with her eyes open while Scott can't-- or am I remembering the episode wrong?

Scott's lack of control stems not from his lack of power, but brain damage he suffered from the parachute drop when his parent's 'died'. Since Rogue only absorbed his powers, she could control them fine.

Mynd Hed

Holy blue on a popo!
Animation Otaku said:
Scott's lack of control stems not from his lack of power, but brain damage he suffered from the parachute drop when his parent's 'died'. Since Rogue only absorbed his powers, she could control them fine.

I know that's how it is in the comics, but has this ever been established in Evo continuity? I haven't seen all the episodes-- just what's been shown on CN-- so I could very well have missed it.

Animation Otaku

Mynd Hed said:
I know that's how it is in the comics, but has this ever been established in Evo continuity? I haven't seen all the episodes-- just what's been shown on CN-- so I could very well have missed it.

Well, I don't see how it could be any different. Besides, I'm guessing that Rogue having controll of the powers was their way of saying that it was the same in Evolution, or something similar.

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I have to agree with most others and say I feel sorry for Blob. Tying Jean up with a metal pole is kinda freaky, but all the guy wanted was a friend. The fact that he ends up on a garbage boat being taunted by seagulls makes for a horrible ending.

I think Rogue's dialogue in the battle was rather cheesey too:

"Didn't Mystique tell you what my power is?" "I don't know and I don't care!" "My power is your power and I can take more then one!" :shrug:

Kolbar

@Cinecrisis on Twitter
Tonight, Cartoon Network airs this episode of X-Men: Evolution at 9:30pm ET. Just a reminder that it will not be on tomorrow or any Friday, due to Cartoon Network's Fridays.

Episode #4 - Mutant Crush
Original Airdate - November 25, 2000

The only thing bigger than Fred Dukes' strength and size, is his temper, which makes his first day at school rather difficult. When Jean Grey makes contact, trying to be friendly, he takes it just a bit to seriously.

Comments?

Movie06

The thing about Blob in X-Men Evo is that the writers turned an non-interesting but obscure character into a cool character. I mean, I like this interpentation of Blob because while he has the same mutant ability but with a different take on it.

About the episode, it is interesting in general especially the subplot about Rogue and Scott (I'm not a shipper by the way), the thing is this episode shows Rogue in confusion as to who's side is she really on.

And you know, in the later episodes how come Blob never has a personal grudge against Jean after this episode?

Goldstar Neo

Good Morning!
Movie06 said:
The thing about Blob in X-Men Evo is that the writers turned an non-interesting but obscure character into a cool character. I mean, I like this interpentation of Blob because while he has the same mutant ability but with a different take on it.

I wouldn't exactly call Blob an "obscure" character. True, he wasn't used to any great effect on television up until this point, but Fred Dukes was/is fairly well known by X-Men fans. As for his mutant ability, Evo take on Blob's powers is a little different. Blob never had super strength in the comics, he was just so...big, we'll say, that it was near impossible to move him.

And you know, in the later episodes how come Blob never has a personal grudge against Jean after this episode?

Probably for the same reason why the Spyke/Quicksilver rivalry never went beyond "Speed and Spyke. Perhaps the XME writers just didn't feel that it was worth pursuing.

Movie06

I wouldn't exactly call Blob an "obscure" character. True, he wasn't used to any great effect on television up until this point, but Fred Dukes was/is fairly well known by X-Men fans. As for his mutant ability, Evo take on Blob's powers is a little different. Blob never had super strength in the comics, he was just so...big, we'll say, that it was near impossible to move him.

I see. Wel, I guess thanks to Evo, Blob is now well known by alot of fans who weren't aware of his existance. At least for new fans who watched Evo that is.

Probably for the same reason why the Spyke/Quicksilver rivalry never went beyond "Speed and Spyke. Perhaps the XME writers just didn't feel that it was worth pursuing.

That sounds about right.

maczero

Sorry for the thread revival but I had to respond.

Evo take on Blob's powers is a little different. Blob never had super strength in the comics, he was just so...big, we'll say, that it was near impossible to move him.
I'm pretty sure comic Blob has had super strength at least since the 80's. I believe the '86 OHOTMU states that Blob could lift up to 5 tons.

As for Evo Blob, I don't think they've ever mentioned whether or not he has the immovable power.

Beastbot X

Well, he also stopped a car running full-speed at him without moving back an inch-- and the X-Van. Granted, I don't think he's as totally "unmovable" as Comics Blob, but he's definitely pretty tough to budge.

coldglynx

Boy time to revive this thread

Wow watching this episode now on Disney+ the world it is now MeToo and all. This episode is 100x more important than it was 21 years ago. Dang thats old.

The one question that came to my mind watching this now.
How the heck did they get away with this????
This clearly went way over my head as a kid. I never even thought what the Blob planned to do to Jean had he won in this episode. It was even built up realistically. The signs were clearly develop into the story. The fact that Jean in the beginning of the ep was just nice to Blob. That is usually a trigger for men who try force themselves on women. The writers did their research here.

Wow its amazing what growing up does. Judging from the older comments. Not many people liked this episode when it aired. Now I think its one of their best without question darkest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

You know if we're bringing up this old talkback after years I would like to point how that is just lazy poor writing on the writing team's side for bringing up these story and character rivalies for an episode and never doing anything with them. Like I wasn't ever that big a fan of the whole "Blob has a Crush on Jean and wants her" but not even like any super resentment of her in upcoming fights feels annoying and yeah having Spyke and Quicksilver have a rivalry in one episode and never doing anything after that is just stupid. Especially since it's clear some things in the early episodes they kept that weren't just from the comics either (Quicksilver and Toad having a little rivarly or Shadowcat and Avalanche) but other things just being thrown aside just seems wasteful. And should be called out for the BS it is.
Wow its amazing what growing up does. Judging from the older comments. Not many people liked this episode when it aired. Now I think its one of their best without question darkest.

I wouldn't go that far especially as the plot here has been done in other cartoons (something Mynd Head who was a modrator on TZ who later was known as Hbi2k who did Beserk/Gantz/Escalfowne Abridged and a member of TeamFourstar) though yeah this somewhat is a more realistic telling. And I think this didn't have really any issues going through because Blob was portrayed as not being sympathetic enough in how he approached Jean to be seen as a creep and the worst we saw was him wanting to knock her out for a "date" so there was a sense of innocent to it. I will say though this does take on a more understandable level of creepy now then it did years ago but I don't see it as one of the gems even of season one.

coldglynx

You know if we're bringing up this old talkback after years I would like to point how that is just lazy poor writing on the writing team's side for bringing up these story and character rivalies for an episode and never doing anything with them. Like I wasn't ever that big a fan of the whole "Blob has a Crush on Jean and wants her" but not even like any super resentment of her in upcoming fights feels annoying and yeah having Spyke and Quicksilver have a rivalry in one episode and never doing anything after that is just stupid. Especially since it's clear some things in the early episodes they kept that weren't just from the comics either (Quicksilver and Toad having a little rivarly or Shadowcat and Avalanche) but other things just being thrown aside just seems wasteful. And should be called out for the BS it is.
I can’t blame the writers on this one. If you read the writer interviews on the X-men Evo blogs that this website had once. The writers were severely hampered by Kids WB censors. For example they weren’t allowed to continue the romantic relationships on the show. The Kitty/Lance and Cyclops/Rogue relationships had to be cut off at the knees because of the censors. The best the writers could do was imply it.

I find it odd that Kids WB had a problem with the romantic relationships on X-men evo. When on Batman TAS they basically had Joker and Harley in one episode tease having sex.

But I’m guessing that had more to do with Batman being their property and X-men someone else is property. Just my opinion.

wouldn't go that far especially as the plot here has been done in other cartoons (something Mynd Head who was a modrator on TZ who later was known as Hbi2k who did Beserk/Gantz/Escalfowne Abridged and a member of TeamFourstar) though yeah this somewhat is a more realistic telling. And I think this didn't have really any issues going through because Blob was portrayed as not being sympathetic enough in how he approached Jean to be seen as a creep and the worst we saw was him wanting to knock her out for a "date" so there was a sense of innocent to it. I will say though this does take on a more understandable level of creepy now then it did years ago but I don't see it as one of the gems even of season one.
What other cartoons? You mean the animes you mentioned. Animes are a different breed. Japan has always been less restrictive then North America with the content of their animation. In general I was talking about US animation. The only other US animation that I know of this time that went really far was Spawn tas. But that show was meant for adults only.

I disagree. Him tying her up and putting her in a room full of candles was not innocent. Its something you see in a horror movie like Hostel or Saw. Add to the fact that the characters are suppose to be teenagers. How they got away with that? I have zero clue.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

@wiley207 Arthur, my childhood show, is finally coming to an end!
Tim Burton's remake of Planet of the Apes was released 20 years ago today.
Finally, a Blocks era CN Europe ident featuring Bloo. :) Uploaded by @rinachi.

The winner of this matchup is Pinkie Pride, which got 5 votes. The All Nighter Before Christmas got 2 votes. The next matchup is Celebrating Best Friends. It's between "Cheers And Present Danger" from Harvey Girls Forever and "Friend-a-versary" from Muppet Babies 2018.

Featured Posts