"X-Men: Dark Phoenix" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Latest News

dmxx116

Jul 21, 2007
Ratings
412 3
New York City
It would be better that they don't release the movie. I don't want see another Snyder Cut type situation that could turn into a cult like situation with X-Men:The Dark Phoenix.

Last edited:

Gold Guy

Ride On
Staff member
Dec 14, 2008
Ratings
2,710 6
New York City
I'm really not feeling it yet. Besides a general disinterest to these characters, I just hate this grounded approach to the Dark Phoenix story. Other recent CBMs have completely embraced the epic space opera stories, so the fact that we're getting a Dark Phoenix story that looks more like a drama just makes Fox feel so obsolete.

And don't get me wrong, there is a time and a place for a drama CBM, like Logan. But a Dark Phoenix adaption? But to be fair, Fox is usually at their best with character pieces; I just wish it wasn't a DP adaption.

Also, I guess Charles and Magneto will be fighting again. I swear, Magneto's dialogue is a bit self-aware. :p

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,405 46
Sherman Oaks CA
I think it was a solid trailer even if it didn't "wow" me like the usual Marvel Studios (or a few DC trailers even), but I think they were deliberately going for a more somber trailer and potentially saving the "Money Shots" for closer to the movies release :).

One thing that looks a little disappointing to me is that it doesn't seem like their approach to the Phoenix is all that different from X3, with very similar story beats popping up in this storyline :(.

Although maybe that's deliberate to lull people into the idea that things are going to go the same way as in the original timeline only for the X-Men to manage to save Jean this time :confused:?

It's kind of hilarious to me to see Mystique as the "heart and soul" of the team here, decrying how Charles is handling Jean, although it also doesn't seem like Mystique is going to last long in this movie judging by Hank's scenes :ack:.

I swear if you put Chastain in a white suit she would be the spitting image of Emma Frost, even if she's more of a platinum blonde here then Emma's usually depicted as. I wonder if those armed soldiers are courtesy of the government or her?

Oh look, Magneto putting on his helmet and becoming an antagonist against the X-Men. Where have I seen that before :p?

I thought that was Nightcrawler cradling (an apparently dying) Mystique, but I guess it's Beast in the middle of man-pain :sad:.

I do think it's kind of interesting seeing some of the X-Men joining up with Magneto to presumably stop Jean. I think that was reported a while ago, but it will be an interesting plot development to see play out.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,405 46
Sherman Oaks CA
I'm getting the sense that the only "Cosmic" part of this movie is The Phoenix, the X-Men being in space for the prologue, and Jessica Chastain's character :sweat:.

It's kind of weird to see Kingberg saying he wanted to go in a more "classic" direction for the costumes then Singer did when Apocalypse ended with the X-Men all sporting more colorful and traditional costumes o_O.

I'm glad Jean and Scott's romance will be a focal part of the movie. It's not a Dark Phoenix adaption without it :).

I love how Jean goes to Magnet for advice when every single movie where Magneto tries to live in peace or stop being a bad guy...ends with him not living in peace and becoming a bad guy :p.

I'm curious what Jean's final Phoenix form will look like, because I'm not expecting a full-on comic-accurate Phoenix costume :ack:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
11,670 21
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
9/26: Synopsis also released
In Dark Phoenix, the X-Men face their most formidable and powerful foe: one of their own, Jean Grey. During a rescue mission in space, Jean is nearly killed when she is hit by a mysterious cosmic force. Once she returns home, this force not only makes her infinitely more powerful, but far more unstable. Wrestling with this entity inside her, Jean unleashes her powers in ways she can neither comprehend nor contain. With Jean spiraling our of control, and hurting the ones she loves most, she begins to unravel the very fabric that holds the X-Men together. Now, with this family falling apart, they must find a way to unite - not only to save Jean's soul, but to save our very planet from aliens who wish to weaponize this force and rule the galaxy.
9/27: 2 stills released. Kinberg says Chastain is an amalgam character and takes some inspiration from Mastermind. Andrew Stehlin is playing Red Lotus and Kota Eberhardt is Selene.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,405 46
Sherman Oaks CA
9/27: 2 stills released. Kinberg says Chastain is an amalgam character and takes some inspiration from Mastermind. Andrew Stehlin is playing Red Lotus and Kota Eberhardt is Selene.
I foresee a mix of Mastermind and Emma Frost, from the former's role in pushing Jean into becoming Dark Phoenix and the latter's role as a blonde-haired woman up to no good...

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,374 4
177A Bleecker Street
I was pretty eager to see Apocalypse and it disappointed the heck out of me. Maybe the opposite will occur here since I currently couldn't care less about seeing this movie. Everything about it just seems so uninspired to me. I was pretty uninterested in seeing Logan and that ended up being a pretty good movie so who knows how things will go.

Magmaster12

Reporter
Dec 31, 2013
Ratings
664 3
So wait was this plot break down stuff about there being aliens in this movie taken out or was the plot leak completely wrong?

Some of the stuff does seem to much up though.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
Ratings
2,999 5 1
the point of no return
"You're always sorry, Charles. And there's always a speech, but nobody cares." Classic Magneto line if I never heard one.

I'll tell you guys something, as much as people cast hatred or dislike for the FOX iteration of X-Men, I will miss them. No they certainly were not perfect or even all that good, but please compare to the DCEU.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
11,670 21
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
I think Chastain's character was confirmed to be an alien.
Yep. Hence all the theories. Even saw one today from CBR that she could be Cassandra Nova.

Despite the trailer having just come out, Dark Phoenix has been pushed back again - to June 7.
Hm. Business decision to get more money out of China.