"X-Men: Dark Phoenix" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Rumor is Jean will lose control and impale Mystique, Magneto, Professor X, or Beast. (I think we all know who people will vote for...)

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
People are so annoyed by her character at this point I doubt it will have much emotional effect.

Frontier

Staff member
EW has a first look at Dark Phoenix:

Based partially on Chris Claremont’s comic, Phoenix will feature some of the series’ biggest set pieces to date, including the X-Men’s first trip to outer space. It’s also the most sinister, and somber, chapter in the saga and includes a massive twist halfway through that will irrevocably change the course of the franchise.

“This is probably the most emotional X-Men we’ve done and the most pathos-driven,” McAvoy says. “There’s a lot of sacrifice and a lot of suffering.” The movie becomes a fight for Jean’s soul as Phoenix threatens to overtake her mind and divide the X-Men, particularly Jean and her mentor, Charles.

“It’s about the butterfly effect of this thing happening,” says Turner, who studied schizophrenia and multiple personality disorders to prepare. “What happens when the person you love the most falls into darkness?”

“I had heard stories of these sets,” admits Jessica Chastain, who plays an otherworldly shapeshifter who comes into contact with Phoenix. “But working with Simon and Hutch and Sophie was the most loving, strong, happy set.”

the greenman

Hmmm. Madelyne Pryor? Mastermind showing up? Very curious how they're gonna do this. My first thought is Mystique goes completely villainous and Jean kills her. Thus the funeral scene.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
Hmmm. Madelyne Pryor? Mastermind showing up? Very curious how they're gonna do this. My first thought is Mystique goes completely villainous and Jean kills her. Thus the funeral scene.

She seems like a mix of Skrulls (shapeshifiting), Shi'ar (after the Phoenix) and even a dash of Emma Frost in there (with the blonde hair).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So the movie synopsis... Set in 1992 and they're national heroes. Professor X and his ego again...oi. That's 8 years before the events of the first X-Men movie.

Frontier

Staff member
So the movie synopsis... Set in 1992 and they're national heroes. Professor X and his ego again...oi. That's 8 years before the events of the first X-Men movie.
And everybody still looks the same age :p.

It's actually kind of nice to see the public accepting the X-Men though, even if it does fuel Xavier's ego :sweat:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
This time jump seems so unnecessary to me.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk
That's true, if Dark Phoenix is still a 2 parter -- that will be it with the 'vintage' era started by First Class. Where will they go then, the present like Deadpool and be kept in an AU or get rebooted into the MCU...

the greenman

That's true, if Dark Phoenix is still a 2 parter -- that will be it with the 'vintage' era started by First Class. Where will they go then, the present like Deadpool and be kept in an AU or get rebooted into the MCU...
It depends. I would imagine Feige would reboot them around the same time as Fantastic Four. Between the Cosmic heroes and F4, this will essentially replace the Avengers facet of the MCU.

Now if FOX allows Donner and Kinberg to keep X-Men under the FOX umbrella, we may or may not see a reboot. The X-Men can come into our time. However, Feige seems more interested in them, than FF.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It depends. I would imagine Feige would reboot them around the same time as Fantastic Four. Between the Cosmic heroes and F4, this will essentially replace the Avengers facet of the MCU.

Now if FOX allows Donner and Kinberg to keep X-Men under the FOX umbrella, we may or may not see a reboot. The X-Men can come into our time. However, Feige seems more interested in them, than FF.
I am conflicted about it. The X-Men franchise is finally starting to come into its own and expand, Dark Phoenix in this case is bringing them into the cosmic area of their comics. The MCU is just starting to move to the cosmic full tilt. To reboot the X-Men and bring them into the MCU now -- ugh, I don't know. I'm sure Feige is going for Mutants now that the TV side has mined a lot of Inhumans already. But in the same vein, it's more the characters associated with FF like Silver Surfer and Galactus who could be a big boon to the MCU than Mutants. It's kind of mystifying we're in a MCU where S.H.I.E.L.D. is an outlaw nearly dead organization again and we could be heading to a MCU where the Avengers disband. It seems like the trend is to focus more on solo movies than team movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts