"X-Men Adventures" Classic Comic Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment - X-Men Adventures comic series!

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Bringing the animated series back to the comic page!

X-MEN ADVENTURES

Writer:
Ralph Macchio
Artist: Andrew Wildman, Chris Batista, John Herbert, Ben Herrera, More

The Story: Re-creating episodes from the hit animated television series, X-Men Adventures brought a fresh spin to the episodes fans have grown to love. This series adapted over thirty episodes, including the entire first and second season of the acclaimed X-Men: The Animated Series! The title also presented original stories set in the show's continuity when it was relaunched as The Adventures of the X-Men.

Comments?

Note: This thread covers X-Men Adventures and The Adventures of the X-Men!

Related Discussion:
Spider-Man Adventures Classic Comic Talkback (Spoilers)

Spider-Man

Like I said over in the talkbackfor Spider-Man Adventures I collected this comic almost religiously when it came out. It wasn't the greatest "Adventures" comic (that still remains the original Batman Adventures) but I really got a kick seeing episodes of the cartoon adapted into the comic. I've actually been just recently flipping through these old comics and trying to fill some holes in my collection. Between the two I suppose Spider-Man Adventures was a bit mroe faithful to the cartoon scripts but I like how the X-Men Adventures comic didn't tone anything done was even a bit more violent than the cartoon at times if I remember correctly. The artwork was good for the whole run, especially when it got more detailed later in the book's run, but I wish they got someone like Saviuk for this comic too. Still, I really enjoyed it and would also give it 7/10.

And how come you gave this book a 1/2 star too Medinnus?

Manga4life

DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!
I have a few random issues of X-Men Adventures I got out of a $.50 bin at my local comic book shop back in the late 90's, sure they aren't anything special but this was basically the X-Men as I loved them and since I was a huge fan of the cartoon I figured I'd pick up the handfull of issues that were in the bargain bin. I've never actually read them, oddly enough, but I may actually sit down and give these a gander now that my interest has been sparked thanks to this thread, if they're actually good reads then maybe I will try to hunt down the rest of the series someday soon.

FlawedCoil82

I loved "X-Men Adventures" more than the normal X-Men comics, because it featured the X-Men as I loved them best (by the time I was collecting them, Wolverine had already lost his adamantium and left the X-Men in the normal comics, which soured that title for me). The artwork in this comic was great until they got to the "Savage Heart" and "Dark Phoenix" storylines. The artwork turned overly cartoony (just like the normal title was doing by this time).

Then, the comic sadly switched into "The Adventures Of The X-Men" to where they were NOT based on the cartoon any longer, as none of the stories were ever featured in episodes of the animated series. Every episode after "Dark Phoenix" was ignored and all new stories were made. And worse yet, Rogue inexplicably was now COMPLETELY absent from the title without any explaination as to why or where she disappeared to. Then, for the final issue, she unceremoniously returned for a final fight involving a loose storyline involving Phoenix again. But yea, this comic died after it switched to it's own storylines once the title changed and it left the animated series storylines. But had it stayed "X-Men Adventures" and strictly stayed within the realm of the animated series, then I would have gladly continued to buy every issue.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I was never really a fan of the X-Men Adventures books. I much preferred buying back issues of the main continuity books or new issues of the adjective-less X-Men book. It always just seemed as though the stories were the exact same thing as the episodes that I'd already watched and loved on tv, with nothing new at all. As a kid with little disposable income who would probably have bought a box of tissues if the X-Men were on it, I just didn't think that it was worth it to really follow these books at the time.

I believe I've only ever bought three issues; One was purchased due to the #1 on the cover looking really enticing but before I really knew that it was just based on an animated episode (adapted from Til Death Do Us Part, Part 1), while the other two were purchased mainly to see what the artwork was like (Whatever It Takes, Phoenix Saga Part 5).

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
I was never really a fan of the X-Men Adventures books. I much preferred buying back issues of the main continuity books or new issues of the adjective-less X-Men book.

Then I'd recommend Adventures of The X-Men. It's more or less based on Animated continuity and tells original stories. Plus it comes with episode guides to the show.

cuon

Call A Doctor!
I loved X-Men adventures. I got all of the issues up until they stop following the cartoon.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
For fans of the X-Men Adventures comic adaptations, Marvel Comics is releasing a new omnibus collecting all three volumes of the 90s series. Details are below:

X-MEN: THE ANIMATED SERIES – THE ADAPTATIONS OMNIBUS

Written by RALPH MACCHIO
Penciled by ANDREW WILDMAN, CHRIS BATISTA, NICK NAPOLITANO, JOHN HEBERT, SCOTT ROSEMA, PAUL BORGES, MANNY CLARK, ERNIE STINER, STEFANO RAFFAELE, HECTOR COLLAZO, BEN HERRERA & MORE
Covers by STEVE LIGHTLE & KERRY GAMMILL

Exploding from your TV screen! The iconic X-Men: The Animated Series thrilled fans in the 1990s and defined the X-Men for an entire generation. And their small-screen adventures, inspired by the X-Men's classic storylines, were adapted into comic book form as well! Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Wolverine, Rogue, Gambit, Beast, Jubilee and Morph are Professor X's Uncanny X-Men — ready to battle threats including Sabretooth, the Juggernaut and Magneto, Master of Magnetism! But when the giant, mutant-hunting Sentinels attack, one of the X-Men will pay the ultimate price! Plus: Cable and Bishop each arrive from the future, Rogue seeks a cure for her plight, Apocalypse unleashes his deadly Horsemen and more — including action-packed takes on classic stories including "Days of Future Past" and the Dark Phoenix Saga! Collecting X-Men Adventures (1992) #1-15, X-Men Adventures (1994) #1-13 and X-Men Adventures (1995) #1-13.
1008 PGS./Rated T …$125.00

The hefty release will be available Oct. 12, 2022. Please note, The Adventures of the X-Men is not part of this collection.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts