"X-Men '97 (Disney+)" Animated Series News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Overlord

the greenman

The more I think about it, this has all the worries of that BTAS revival. Except this one is a little bit more plausible than that one.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

The Overlord

The more I think about it, this has all the worries of that BTAS revival. Except this one is a little bit more plausible than that one.

What worries would those be?

It would be interesting to see where this show goes, they didn't announce Cedric Smith returning, so I assume Xavier is staying off-world. Would Magneto be the new headmaster, likely he was briefly in the comics? Apocalypse came back in season 5, I wonder if he would be a major player right away? He was pure evil in the show, but they did a comic book continuation where he was revealed to have a sympathetic motive, which never appeared in the series itself.

Also, Mr. Sinister is supposed to reappear, I wonder if they would make him as dark as his comic counterpart, considering he is into eugenics? Mutant Massacre is a classic X-Men tale, but Sinister's motives for killing the Morlocks are convoluted nonsense. You can make that story less gory and still creepy is to having Sinister kidnap Morlocks and experiment on them.

the greenman

What worries would those be?

Well voice cast for one. Most if not the majority of BTAS cast are gone. X-men is in slightly better shape in that department.

The tone of BTAS with those title cards coupled with the orchestra music was too beautiful to be replicated nowadays. X-men has a low-rent style animation and the musicians will obviously be onboard.

The Overlord

Well voice cast for one. Most if not the majority of BTAS cast are gone. X-men is in slightly better shape in that department.

The tone of BTAS with those title cards coupled with the orchestra music was too beautiful to be replicated nowadays. X-men has a low-rent style animation and the musicians will obviously be onboard.

I think the only big characters missing their original voice actors are Magneto, Apocalypse, and Cyclops. They are intentionally recasting Jubilee and if say Lady Deathstrike reappeared, she will likely be recast too, considering she is a Japanese character originally voiced by a white Canadian woman. I also think you could recast B-list villains like Omega Red and Juggernaut and no one will really care. I just think considering Tara Strong voiced Illyana Rasputina back in the 90s, she is still an active voice actor who works with Disney a lot and voiced Magik in a video game 6 years ago, so it seems like they would just rehire her if Magik appears in this show. Magik has some things in common with Raven, so maybe Tara Strong can play her as Russian Raven or something.

Really they were kinda lucky they got back most of the old voice cast, the voice actor for Rogue had a career in Canadian politics that lasted more than a decade and really only ended this year.

And yes, BTAS had better production values than X-Men TAS, so I feel like they could improve the animation with a bigger budget, some of the old music themes, and less censorship, and most of the fans should be pleased. But I think Batman: The Caped Crusader could be a worth successor to BTAS.

Last edited:

harry580

I wonder if this does well, maybe Disney plus can consider maybe revive x evolution or Wolverine and the x men

The Overlord

I wonder if this does well, maybe Disney plus can consider maybe revive x evolution or Wolverine and the x men

Probably not, I think those two shows do not quite have the same nostalgic appeal as X-Men TAS, Wolverine and the X-Men, in particular, was released on a channel almost no had over 10 years ago and only lasted one season, that show seems dead as a doornail.

harry580

ok, if they not gonna revive x evolution or wolverine and the x men, maybe make a animated movie for Disney plus something like spiderverse?

The Overlord

ok, if they not gonna revive x evolution or wolverine and the x men, maybe make a animated movie for Disney plus something like spiderverse?

That's a little more possible, IMO. It depends on rights, does Marvel own those shows outright, or are they partially owned by Warner Bros or Viacom?

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
It depends on rights, does Marvel own those shows outright, or are they partially owned by Warner Bros or Viacom?
Marvel Studios is listed as one of the production companies for W&X-M, so I had always assumed that would've been the cheapest to revive if Disney was willing. Of course with the FOX acquisition, now the 90's MAU is pretty much theirs.

The Overlord

Marvel Studios is listed as one of the production companies for W&X-M, so I had always assumed that would've been the cheapest to revive if Disney was willing. Of course with the FOX acquisition, now the 90's MAU is pretty much theirs.

But do they have the rights to X-Men Evolution? I think that is more popular than Wolverine and the X-Men. TAS and Evolution were released on major channels back when kids were watching TV, Wolverine and the X-Men lasted a season on a channel no one had.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
But do they have the rights to X-Men Evolution? I think that is more popular than Wolverine and the X-Men. TAS and Evolution were released on major channels back when kids were watching TV, Wolverine and the X-Men lasted a season on a channel no one had.
My guess would be it's in a similar holding position as Spec-Spidey along with that's the one X-Men cartoon some version of "Marvel Studios" had no involvement in.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Not to derail the topic too much since I also brought up Batman: Caped Crusader earlier in the topic, but I think a better comparison would be between X-Men '97 and the recently announced Batman: TAS audio drama. Granted it's not animated but it feels more like a continuation of the animated series, and a handful of the voice cast should return.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
My guess would be it's in a similar holding position as Spec-Spidey along with that's the one X-Men cartoon some version of "Marvel Studios" had no involvement in.
Evolution was done by Marvel Animation and Film Roman while formerly distributed by Warner Bros Television.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ZackSmith1

How likely is Psylocke going to have a role in the show? Hopefully it can be a significant role and then joining the team. I think along with Nightcrawler and others they can join the team because they should grow the team by adding some new members.

the greenman

How likely is Psylocke going to have a role in the show? Hopefully it can be a significant role and then joining the team. I think along with Nightcrawler and others they can join the team because they should grow the team by adding some new members.
At this point, I think Colossus should be the next member joining up.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Colossus is probably the biggest X-Men character who's never really had a big presence in animation. I presume he will show up here, even if he's not on the main team, I doubt they will ignore him completely. The team on the show never really had that many new members join across their 76 episodes, so I don't expect a bunch of new characters on the team for this revival.

Frontier

Staff member
Colossus is probably the biggest X-Men character who's never really had a big presence in animation. I presume he will show up here, even if he's not on the main team, I doubt they will ignore him completely. The team on the show never really had that many new members join across their 76 episodes, so I don't expect a bunch of new characters on the team for this revival.
It would be kind of hilarious if Tara Strong got to finally play Magik again in a cartoon considering Illyana in X-Men: TAS was like her first voice role and they canceled WaTXM before she got to reprise Illyana in season 2 :cool:.

the greenman

To be honest, they mostly had characters just randomly show up. The X-men proper team was usually stable, but characters like Angel (quickly turned into Archangel for story purposes) Bishop, Forge, Cable all just appeared and disappeared. So I'm not exactly expecting a huge change in style in that department.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts