"X-Men '97 (Disney+)" Animated Series News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Super amazing news to see, best announcement! I'm happy it seems Marvel Studios won't exclusively be making MCU shows 100% of the time now. Genuinely excited for this in 2023! Designs look great, they're rooted in the nostalgia but seem a bit slicker. I love the janky animation of the original because that combined with passion for the material made it really shine, but with this time you bring that passion with no budgetary constraints/more polish? I think it could be a bold new beginning for Marvel cartoons again then. Maybe a Spider-Man '98 might even be possible not too far after?

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Amelia Vidal is apparently a lead character designer. She's also one of the lead character designers on What If?

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I'm super mixed on this. I truly love the original series, I watch episodes from the show almost every single year.

A sequel, if done right, could be amazing. If done wrong....

But for now, I'm staying optimistic.

thisguyisnotcool

I’ve noticed that a lot this staff are very visible on social media like Twitter and Instagram. While isn’t not unusual for great artist to get noticed like that in the past. It does seem marcel is at least committed on making animation actual matter

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I'm really curious as to how this series will look in motion. I just hope it's well done and looks like the show that TAS didn't really get to fully look like because of the huge budget constraints and lack of proper production time, etc.

In my head, I always pictured a very anime look and style if they ever revisited this version of the X-Men and as I ponder that now, I think a lot of that might have been inspired by seeing the Japanese intro or even the look animation of the X-Men characters in the Capcom games. It was always noticeable to me how much I loved seeing the characters in this crisp vibrant look. Both Evolution and Wolverine and the X-Men looked good on screen as well as the anime series. Hulk Vs Wolverine was kind of the ideal for me, even with the more exaggerated character designs. It really gave me the feel of what good anime inspired animation using the more '90s designs could do.

It was cool to see that the character designs that were shown briefly were strictly fashioned after the Jim Lee originals. There have been the "90s inspired but different" evergreen designs that were used in any X-Men merch that wasn't retro, as well as the Disney Plus avatars, in the past couple of years but they just went straight for the originals here. Even Jean Grey looks noticeably more like the Jim Lee comic design than the animated design with how her hair is done.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

the greenman

I'm really curious as to how this series will look in motion. I just hope it's well done and looks like the show that TAS didn't really get to fully look like because of the huge budget constraints and lack of proper production time, etc.

In my head, I always pictured a very anime look and style if they ever revisited this version of the X-Men and as I ponder that now, I think a lot of that might have been inspired by seeing the Japanese intro or even the look animation of the X-Men characters in the Capcom games. It was always noticeable to me how much I loved seeing the characters in this crisp vibrant look. Both Evolution and Wolverine and the X-Men looked good on screen as well as the anime series. Hulk Vs Wolverine was kind of the ideal for me, even with the more exaggerated character designs. It really gave me the feel of what good anime inspired animation using the more '90s designs could do.

It was cool to see that the character designs that were shown briefly were strictly fashioned after the Jim Lee originals. There have been the "90s inspired but different" evergreen designs that were used in any X-Men merch that wasn't retro, as well as the Disney Plus avatars, in the past couple of years but they just went straight for the originals here. Even Jean Grey looks noticeably more like the Jim Lee comic design than the animated design with how her hair is done.

Most of those 90's comicbook animated series tried to do two things. They either tried their level best to emulate the comic art to varying results. Or they tried to update it by streamlining the art design to animation.

I think this came from a struggle of ideals of seeing how classic

Case in point:

Wild C.A.T.S., Savage Dragon, Spawn, The Maxx, X-men, and Big Guy & Rusty tried their best to take art from the comics. I will give Static a pass, as I don't believe they were so much trying to copy the art style of Denys Cowan at all.

Shows like BTAS and Spider-man, just put it out there as animation. I believe that is because those characters have high mileage. Legacy characters. The characters have been seen in animation for decades.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Christopher Glennon

Punch Drunk Flounder
Staff member
Reporter
Looks like we're getting an eager and talented crew together, but it almost feels like it isn't real. I wonder what kinds of stories they will use and if they want to keep some characters gone because their stories are done.

I would love for the first episode to start with Mojo thinking about the X-Men and have it be some huge meta joke about wanting to put them back on the air.

I would much rather have a revival for X-Men Evolution or Wolverine and the X-men.

Wolverine and the X-Men would be my top choice, but there's clearly more love for X-Men TAS, plus a larger fanbase.

It would be interesting to guess some of the new voice actors are playing, Holly Chou may be playing Jubilee, perhaps Jennifer Hale will be playing Rachael Summers, Jean's daughter from the future, and perhaps Jeff Bennett will play Magneto, with David Hemblen dead and Tom Kane retired, they would have to find a new Magneto and Bennett could pull that off.

Tom Kane retired?

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Utterly fantastic news. Disney + seems to have revitalised the massive fan base for this show, to give the Lewalds and Larry Houston the boost they needed to pitch the continuation.

Very excited to see what happens here! And the meme announcement is just the perfect way to announce the shows return.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
It would be interesting to guess some of the new voice actors are playing, Holly Chou may be playing Jubilee, perhaps Jennifer Hale will be playing Rachael Summers, Jean's daughter from the future, and perhaps Jeff Bennett will play Magneto, with David Hemblen dead and Tom Kane retired, they would have to find a new Magneto and Bennett could pull that off.

Rachel would be interesting to see, if they ever used her. A couple of weeks back, I was mentioning to someone that she was one of the X-Men characters that was always avoided in adaptations, outside of possibly being the girl with possible Franklin Richards in the original Days of Future Past two-parter. The X-Men version of Future Trunks before Cable himself.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Rachel Summers and Nate Grey would be pretty nice additions. I presume there will be some more time-travel involved with the show coming back. One thing I am interested in seeing, would be Apocalypse's return. He was revived in "The Fifth Horseman" but didn't get a chance to appear again. It would be funny if the show tried another "Age of Apocalypse" arc, since that's what we were supposed to see on season 2 of Wolverine & the X-Men. Granted they already had "One Man's Worth" which was inspired by the arc from the comics.

I would also love it if they continue squeezing in cameos from other Marvel characters every once in a while. Remember Morph changing into Deadpool, Beast wearing a Howard the Duck shirt, one of Mojo's robots looking like Punisher, or Spider-Man's hand during "The Phoenix Saga", to name a few. :p

ZackSmith1

Wow I am excited for this revival since 90s X-Men cartoon sure got me into Marvel. I known as judge by the logo of the main team roaster but I have a feeling they might add more or maybe guest team members over several episodes. For example I could see Psylocke being added although she guest starred in several episodes of the 90s cartoon she was not part of the team, others who guest starred could in the 90s cartoon be added like Nightcrawler, Bishops and others too could be either added or appear in several episodes.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Colossus should be at the top of everyone's list of new additions to the team. :p It would be nice seeing his sister, too. She appeared on the show before but I don't recall if they ever addressed she was a mutant.

The Overlord

Colossus should be at the top of everyone's list of new additions to the team. :p It would be nice seeing his sister, too. She appeared on the show before but I don't recall if they ever addressed she was a mutant.

No, they didn't. Illyana was a little girl on the show and mainly just got kidnapped by Omega Red. They could bring her back, she was voiced by a young Tara Strong, so they can get her back, probably age her up.

I don't know how much of her history they want to cover though, she was kidnapped and tormented by an evil wizard named Belasco for a long time in the comics.

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
No, they didn't. Illyana was a little girl on the show and mainly just got kidnapped by Omega Red. They could bring her back, she was voiced by a young Tara Strong, so they can get her back, probably age her up.

I don't know how much of her history they want to cover though, she was kidnapped and tormented by an evil wizard named Belasco for a long time in the comics.
I was thinking that if Colossus appeared on the show, they might possibly do some version of the Magik story.

I think the Lewalds or someone involved with the old show shared a pitch before about the team falling apart and needing to rebuild after Xavier left with Lillandra. I'm wondering if the show might go in that direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts