"X-Men '97 (Disney+ "X-Men TAS" sequel)" Animated Series News & Discussion (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Well, in that case, I'll keep my fingers crossed wishing they will do the same for 90s Spider-Man. Some of the voice actors are no longer with us (like Joan Lee as Madame Web), but I believe Stan Lee himself would have wished for Peter finally finding Mary Jane and returning home.
Let's please take further discussion of Marvel potentially reviving older shows to the Disney+ topic.
Big Hero 6 never focused on the super hero elements, MODOK was a comedy, and What If? was completely episodic.
There have been no decent Marvel action cartoons in the style of X-Men: TAS (on-going elements, and stories) since The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Spectacular Spider-Man.
I wouldn't say BH6 didn't have any super hero elements, or that What If...? was completely episodic since the last couple of episodes tied the previous ones together. This is getting a bit off-topic but regardless of the quality of the last few Marvel cartoons, there's a chance X-Men '97 will be just as good as the older shows.

reflection01

There are a few huge benefits to continuing XTAS instead of starting a new X-Men animated series.

First, it continues something that remains popular. I have friends whose kids watch it. I'm sure Disney+ has internal numbers that show plenty of people watch it. The theme song remains a classic.

Second, X-Men: Evolution and Wolverine and the X-Men were good shows but suffered from not being XTAS. So this should avoid that problem.

Third, XTAS97 probably won't conflict with what they're doing on the big screen or what Fox did before. By giving people the 90s nostalgia, this frees up the MCU to update the X-Men and maybe even move away from the main 90s X-Men to newer stories and characters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

the greenman

There are a few huge benefits to continuing XTAS instead of starting a new X-Men animated series.

First, it continues something that remains popular. I have friends whose kids watch it. I'm sure Disney+ has internal numbers that show plenty of people watch it. The theme song remains a classic.

Second, X-Men: Evolution and Wolverine and the X-Men were good shows but suffered from not being XTAS. So this should avoid that problem.

Third, XTAS97 probably won't conflict with what they're doing on the big screen or what Fox did before. By giving people the 90s nostalgia, this frees up the MCU to update the X-Men and maybe even move away from the main 90s X-Men to newer stories and characters.

Well, I will agree Disney + probably saw the immense numbers of watches on the series. I can only say, outside of actually reading the comics, if one wanted to learn about X-men, that series is definitely a start.

The other X-men stuff pushed Wolverine to the forefront. I can't speak too much on Evolution as I didn't watch it much when I was younger, and didn't quite care for it for some reason.

As for the future of mutants, I think Marvel is going to pay attention to what fan reaction says on this. The 90's team is and was iconic. It'll be difficult to see what else they put out outside of that team.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

AdrenalineRush1996

Big Hero 6 never focused on the super hero elements, MODOK was a comedy, and What If? was completely episodic.
There have been no decent Marvel action cartoons in the style of X-Men: TAS (on-going elements, and stories) since The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Spectacular Spider-Man.
Well, you could've said it as such before since when you said there hasn't been a decent Marvel cartoon since EMH, I thought you meant overall, hence why I mentioned those three cartoons in my response.

About What If?, it's not entirely episodic, considering that each episode ended with a sequel hook that continued in the season finale as several characters from the previous eight episodes team up to take down Ultron, hence it would only be completely episodic if there was no sequel hook for each episode and I also disagree on that the Big Hero 6 cartoon didn't focus on the super hero elements but that's just me.

Anyway, I am hoping that X-Men '97 will turn out to be a great revival to the original series like Young Justice when the show was revived two years ago.

ZackSmith1

I realized that because it will not have the Saturday Morning content restrictions, that unlike the original 90s show which was TV-Y7 this could be bumped up to a TV-PG rating.

bigdaddy313

I realized that because it will not have the Saturday Morning content restrictions, that unlike the original 90s show which was TV-Y7 this could be bumped up to a TV-PG rating.
Whatever rating Marvel’s What-If…? Was; is perfect for X-Men, it’s really that simple.

reflection01

Apparently, the Lewalds were on a podcast called The Power of X-Men, where they were discussing that the show will be going into adult themes and they won't have the same limitations as on Fox Kids but they couldn't be specific about it yet.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The original show didn’t shy away from tough topics. They were fighting bigoted militias before it was common. The show got into politics of hate. It dealt with love and loss. Characters died and were mourned.

We’ve all probably seen this before, but it’s a good recap of the adult themes in the original show.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
I would be fine if this revival used a style similar to Hulk Vs. Wolverine, in regards to how much violence they could show on-screen.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
I would be fine if this revival used a style similar to Hulk Vs. Wolverine, in regards to how much violence they could show on-screen.
May be too graphic, but really would be grateful if the action isn't being held to those 90s standards.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
There were rumors before they only wanted to have a "limited series" revival for the show, I wonder if plans have changed and there might be more episodes. The show could reach 100 episodes easily, considering there are 76 already from the '90s. Not sure it would actually surpass Ultimate Spider-Man (104 episodes), and even less likely to get more than Avengers Assemble (126 episodes).

Trevor

Not surprising they chose this particular series for revival. It was by far one of the most popular, even though I would have preferred Watx

Couldn't that also work as a live-action mini-series? Prof Xavier recruiting a different character every episode.
They kind of had that with Mutant X.

Hopefully we might hear of a Blu-Ray Remaster of the original 90’s show to tie-into the launch of this cartoon.

the greenman

It would really depend on the storytelling. If they successfully keep engaging stories, new and old familiar characters, and timely plots keeping in tune with the original depth of what X-men set out to do, this can easily be another three seasons. A lot depends on the reception of this upcoming revival.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
Content-wise I expect it'll get as explicit as What If.

There have been several decades worth of X-Men content since the show ended so they do have plenty to adapt from if they so choose to continue the series :).

The Overlord

Content-wise I expect it'll get as explicit as What If.

There have been several decades worth of X-Men content since the show ended so they do have plenty to adapt from if they so choose to continue the series :).

Perhaps they can do Magik's backstory of being stuck in Limbo for 7 years then? I do think that is core to who the character is.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Then something bad is intensifying!
Asa
Peanuts creator Charles Schultz would've turned 99 years old today.
Lost of Christmas stuff on tonight Frosty and Frosty Returns is on CBS tonight, it's always on the night after Thanksgiving, so is Grandma Got Runover by a Reindeer on The CW, and NBC has the Original Grinch, ABC has Santa Claus is Comin' to town (though if you prefer to watch this one un edited Freeform is the better place to watch it )
Nick@nite finally got new Christmas brand just today started 6am!

Featured Posts