"X-Men '97 (Disney+)" Animated Series News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
A continuation of X-Men: TAS titled X-Men '97 is in the works for Disney+ in 2023. It will supposedly pick up where the old series left off.
According to The Wrap:
Returning cast members include: Cal Dodd, Lenore Zann, George Buza, Adrian Hough, Christopher Britton, Catherine Disher, Chris Potter, Alison Sealy-Smith, Alyson Court.
“X-Men ‘97” is also welcoming a number of new voices to the cast, including Jennifer Hale, Anniwaa Buachie, Ray Chase, Matthew Waterson, JP Karliak, Holly Chou, Jeff Bennett, AJ LoCascio.
Head writer and executive producer on the series is Beau DeMayo. Supervising director is Jake Castorena and supervising producer is Charley Feldman.
Consulting on the new series are “X-Men: The Animated Series” writers Eric and Julia Lewald, and director Larry Houston.

Comments?

Stay tuned for further updates!

Related Links
:
"Marvel Animation on Disney+" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Last edited:

Streaker Prower

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
It's almost hard to believe after all those rumors that they're actually legitimately making a sequel to the 90's show and it's the first X-Men cartoon in literally a decade :p.

Personally I would have been fine with a fresh new cartoon, but I'm eager to see how they approach reviving the 90's show with the slew of X-Men content that has come out in the interim between the show's original ending and this new series, as well as all the new characters and stories they can now adapt with modern animation and writing sensibilities :).

And dang it, it'll be good to hear Cal Dodd as Wolverine again :D.

Although they say some of the OG!'s might be playing new characters instead of reprising, so I'm kind of wondering what the balance will be...

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I'll definitely check this out, since the old show is still one of my favorites and it's just so surprising seeing Marvel actually continue the story after so many rumors over the years.

Honestly, I still feel like X-Men TAS is the one X-Men cartoon that had the most finite ending, as opposed to Evolution and especially Wolverine & the X-Men so I don't really see much of a point of continuing the story from where it left off, but like I said I am pretty happy this is really happening.

Frontier

Staff member
I'll definitely check this out, since the old show is still one of my favorites and it's just so surprising seeing Marvel actually continue the story after so many rumors over the years.

Honestly, I still feel like X-Men TAS is the one X-Men cartoon that had the most finite ending, as opposed to Evolution and especially Wolverine & the X-Men so I don't really see much of a point of continuing the story from where it left off, but like I said I am pretty happy this is really happening.
I admit I really would've liked to have seen a legit modern X-Men cartoon, but I guess the question is how they bring the show back and re-incorporate stuff from later in the comics...so, like, I feel like it should feel as much like a revival as it should a modern X-Men cartoon, so it'll be interesting to see how they handle it o_O.

SweetShop209

It's pretty cool that we have a mix of Canadian and American voice actors. And some of the people working on the show have strong credentials, such as Jake Castorena in various DC projects (such as Batman: The Brave And The Bold, Young Justice, Justice League Action, and various DC and Scooby projects) , as well as being a storyboard artist for Rise Of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Star Trek Prodigy. Charley Feldman has an interesting portfolio that includes shows like The Owl House and The Ghost And Molly McGee.

thisguyisnotcool

The more I think about it the more this being a sequel instead of a new thing makes sense. The way Marvel Animation is now, they want to cartoons to somewhat match the movies. X-men movies still haven't debuted in MCU so there's nothing to grab. This is a good way to use the IP for popularity in the mean while

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I think the best way would have been an Origins type of animated mini-series, focusing on the main X-Men before their eventual MCU debut. That way they wouldn't need to waste any time in the movies explaining who they are and how different they might be from the previous series of movies.

colomb

Not surprising they chose this particular series for revival. It was by far one of the most popular, even though I would have preferred Watx
I think the best way would have been an Origins type of animated mini-series, focusing on the main X-Men before their eventual MCU debut. That way they wouldn't need to waste any time in the movies explaining who they are and how different they might be from the previous series of movies.
Couldn't that also work as a live-action mini-series? Prof Xavier recruiting a different character every episode.

dmxx116

Here’s the Official Artwork

Attachments

• 10E05283-0713-422F-81CA-928F2228C22A.jpeg
    10E05283-0713-422F-81CA-928F2228C22A.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 150

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I was wondering if they might want to try and emulate the character designs from the latter, revamped episodes from X-Men TAS.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
I admit I really would've liked to have seen a legit modern X-Men cartoon, but I guess the question is how they bring the show back and re-incorporate stuff from later in the comics...so, like, I feel like it should feel as much like a revival as it should a modern X-Men cartoon, so it'll be interesting to see how they handle it o_O.
Was thinking they have the newer & younger generations of X-Men whilst making the cast appear older if it's that kind of revival. Otherwise, it's MOTU Revelation 2.0.
It's interesting that this is under the Marvel Studios banner. I think this is a soft confirmation that Marvel Studios might be doing the occasional non-MCU connected series with their name attached.
The Hulu shows already confirmed that.
Disney+ only confirms the shows they own the rights to can be brought back.
We'll have to see about that Marvel Zombies if that has any relation to the MCU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts