Would you like to see an animated "Death Of Superman" movie?

Would you like to see an animated "Death Of Superman" movie?

• Yes

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

mbaker

I've always thought that the animation staff would do an excellent job making A "Death of Superman" movie (be it theatrical, or direct to video) Kevin Smith wanted to adapt this storyline A few years back, but the creative conflicts between him, and (your friend & mine :rolleyes: ) Jon Peters destroyed any chances of getting the project off the ground. (I often wonder why he didn't tell Peters to shove it, and work with Burnette, Dini, and Timm instead.) Anywho, would you like to see an animated "Death Of Superman" movie? I probably would, but the only way it would work is if it were the series fanale of Justice League.

TimTwoFace

Mod, and Minotaur Bait
Yes, I would like to see that, but it's not on my list of priorities. I'd rather see some other Superman DTVs before WB goes all the way and kills the guy (and then resurrects him).

-Tim

Supremus

Yes and no. I think the Death of Superman is too much of a gimmick, but I would like to see a modified version of the story where Superman doesn't die, and I am not sure we need Eradicator, Cyborg or Superboy in the animated universe anyway.

That said, I would buy ANY animated Superman movie regardless of what it's about.

mbaker

Originally posted by Supremus
Yes and no. I think the Death of Superman is too much of a gimmick, but I would like to see a modified version of the story where Superman doesn't die, and I am not sure we need Eradicator, Cyborg or Superboy in the animated universe anyway.

That said, I would buy ANY animated Superman movie regardless of what it's about.
Well, Cyborg will be in the new Teen Titans series.

Supremus

Originally posted by mbaker
Well, Cyborg will be in the new Teen Titans series.

No, that's another Cyborg. I was thinking of the Cyborg Superman who was one of the 4 "new" Superman during the Death and Return of Superman storyline.

mbaker

Originally posted by Supremus
No, that's another Cyborg. I was thinking of the Cyborg Superman who was one of the 4 "new" Superman during the Death and Return of Superman storyline.
Oh, the Cyborg Superman. My bad.

The Detective

I'm afraid it would be too much of a gimmick. And I sure wouldn't want it to be just an adaption of the comic. That would just be too predictalbe.

Mike Spartz

Underrated Performer
I think it will cetainly be interesting. However, I don't want Supes to really get killed or anything. The "death" part could be used as a metaphor of lost hope or something. For example, the movie could show Superman fighting a enemy and in the process, one of his loved ones (lois, Ma/Pa Kent) gets hurt. At the end of the film, Clark, who has defeated the villain but at a price, gives up on crimefighting and proclaims that Superman is dead. Or "death" could be Supes brainwashed by Darksied, simialer to in the STAS episode "Legacy." However, a phyiscal death would be too boring and predictable in my opinion.

James

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps - if only to introduce the different versions, I think the story is too convoluted for a film, so it would need some big changes. Also not being the death of Supes but simply, a pause - makes the story less enticing.

A variation of it would have made a good season end and opener!

Condiment King

custom user title
I would love to see it but it would have to be post - "Legacy". Superman kills Doomsday, thus saving Metropolis and right at the point where you think Superman is going to die, turns out he's still alive. Introducing Superboy and the Eradicator would be cool too. I don't think that you could do the Superman Cyborg if not for "Reign of the Supermen".

BeastBoyWonder

Teen Titans Go!
I think that the Death of Superman was a cheap gimmick with a few redeeming qualities, but overall just one extended fight scene. I wouldn't want to see this turned into a DTV. Admittedly, if one was made I would watch it, but I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as some of the other more interesting concepts floating around.

LadyM

Not based on the comic book "Death of Superman", I wouldn't. Sorry, but I thought Doomsday was a lame villain.

And Superman in that story arc . . . "I MUST HIT HARDER THAN I'VE EVER HIT BEFORE!!!!" Geez, Supes, the guy can't even fly. Scoot up to the ionosphere, get a bead on him with your telescopic vision, and start zapping the heck outta him with heat vision! :rolleyes:

And then they had Doomsday knocked Blue Beetle into a coma . . . UNFORGIVABLE.

But hey, if that meant we would get an animated Superboy (the clone) out of the story arc, then go for it! :p

You know what would be funny, though? A depowered Doomsday trying to fight the Justice League. Put him at the same strength level as JL Superman and LET THE FUN BEGIN! :D

~LM~

Patrick Bateman

Telling it like it is
You know what would be funny, though? A depowered Doomsday trying to fight the Justice League. Put him at the same strength level as JL Superman and LET THE FUN BEGIN!
lol. CREAMPUFF FIGHT!!! :D

-@

cartoonboy

Let's Rock!
How long ago did Death Of Superman take place? Approx 4-6 years ago? I recall wearing the arm band in high school. I just finished reading the Day of Doom 4parter.....A direct to video movie of a story arc from years ago....maybe's it just me, but why not do something a little more current.

TheScarecrow

The Master Of Fear
There was a pre-crisis Death Of Superman story in the 60's where Luthor gained Superman's trust and then turned on him and killed him with a kryptonite ray while a kidnapped Lois, Perry, and Jimmy all watched helplessly.

I wouldn't mind if Bruce Timm and company adapt THAT to animation.

Harvey Dent

The Batman
It could work, but you'd have to make quite a few changes.

• There's no Luthor Jr., unless you did the whole "Lex Clone" affair, which might not be so bad.
  • There's no Eradicator (Brainiac sorta replaced him in STAS), but you could make Eradicator the predecessor to Brainiac.

If I wrote the story, it'd go something like this:

The creature Doomsday comes to town, and is tearing Metropolis apart. The other Leaguers have thrown everything they could think of at the beast, but no dice (which means no Bat-God to save the day). Superman takes it upon himself to stop the rampage, and is successful. Unfortunately for him, he "dies". The thing is, he's not really dead, just completely drained of solar radiation, which has left him in a coma. No one is smart enough to pick up on this because 1: Superman's dense molecular structure makes it virtually impossible to pick up a pulse or heartbeat, and 2: Batman is KO'ed. :p So, the people of Metropolis figure he's dead and stick him in a tomb. :rolleyes:

After the funeral, Metropolis tires to pick up the pieces, and looks to go on without it's most famous defender. John Henry Irons remembers what Superman told him about "needing a hand", so he decides to honor his friend by re-donning his prototype suit and becomes Steel, the new guardian of Metropolis. But he's gonna have some company.

Word of Superman's death spreads throughout the galaxy, and no one is more personally affected by it than Bizarro. He's crushed by the news, and swears that he will follow in Superman's footsteps and become the new guardian of Metropolis.

And on Warworld, the news reaches the ears of Mongul. He's not particularly thrilled with the fact that someone else beat him to the punch, but he's not about to let opprotunity pass him by. Yet he is a man without his empire. What can he do? Well, that's where Brainiac comes in. Through the power of the Almighty Plot Device, Brainiac has somehow made his way to Warworld, and there, he finds a vengeful Mongul who'll do anything to reclaim his throne. Brainiac promises him something more: assist him in his plan, and Mongul will have power, but it will be over the Earth instead. The two join forces, and secretly travel to Earth to begin their plans.

Upon arrival, they sneak into Metropolis, and Brainiac bypasses WayneTech security to enter Superman's tomb. Once inside, they steal Superman's body. Braniac uses his knowledge of Kryptonian biology to copy most of Superman's genetic code, and then creates for himself a new body: Superman's. He is now the Cyborg Superman, Metropolis' heroic defended returned to life, and obviously physically affected by the fight with Doomsday. But unaware to everyone except Mongul, he's really Braniac in a cloned body.

There's a bunch more to tell, but the point is, with some creative thinking and retcons, you can convert the "Death of Superman" into a damn good OAV.

The Detective

Originally posted by Harvey Dent
It could work, but you'd have to make quite a few changes.

• There's no Luthor Jr., unless you did the whole "Lex Clone" affair, which might not be so bad.
  • There's no Eradicator (Brainiac sorta replaced him in STAS), but you could make Eradicator the predecessor to Brainiac.

If I wrote the story, it'd go something like this:

The creature Doomsday comes to town, and is tearing Metropolis apart. The other Leaguers have thrown everything they could think of at the beast, but no dice (which means no Bat-God to save the day). Superman takes it upon himself to stop the rampage, and is successful. Unfortunately for him, he "dies". The thing is, he's not really dead, just completely drained of solar radiation, which has left him in a coma. No one is smart enough to pick up on this because 1: Superman's dense molecular structure makes it virtually impossible to pick up a pulse or heartbeat, and 2: Batman is KO'ed. :p So, the people of Metropolis figure he's dead and stick him in a tomb. :rolleyes:

After the funeral, Metropolis tires to pick up the pieces, and looks to go on without it's most famous defender. John Henry Irons remembers what Superman told him about "needing a hand", so he decides to honor his friend by re-donning his prototype suit and becomes Steel, the new guardian of Metropolis. But he's gonna have some company.

Word of Superman's death spreads throughout the galaxy, and no one is more personally affected by it than Bizarro. He's crushed by the news, and swears that he will follow in Superman's footsteps and become the new guardian of Metropolis.

And on Warworld, the news reaches the ears of Mongul. He's not particularly thrilled with the fact that someone else beat him to the punch, but he's not about to let opprotunity pass him by. Yet he is a man without his empire. What can he do? Well, that's where Brainiac comes in. Through the power of the Almighty Plot Device, Brainiac has somehow made his way to Warworld, and there, he finds a vengeful Mongul who'll do anything to reclaim his throne. Brainiac promises him something more: assist him in his plan, and Mongul will have power, but it will be over the Earth instead. The two join forces, and secretly travel to Earth to begin their plans.

Upon arrival, they sneak into Metropolis, and Brainiac bypasses WayneTech security to enter Superman's tomb. Once inside, they steal Superman's body. Braniac uses his knowledge of Kryptonian biology to copy most of Superman's genetic code, and then creates for himself a new body: Superman's. He is now the Cyborg Superman, Metropolis' heroic defended returned to life, and obviously physically affected by the fight with Doomsday. But unaware to everyone except Mongul, he's really Braniac in a cloned body.

There's a bunch more to tell, but the point is, with some creative thinking and retcons, you can convert the "Death of Superman" into a damn good OAV.
Hmmmmm. I still wouldn't want a strict adaption of the comic story line. It would just be too predictable. And heaven forbid that the Luthor clone gets introduced.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts