Would you consider Goku a poor parent?

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
Based on what I've seen of the series, I don't think that Goku is a terrible parent. It's more like he's too much of a kid himself to be a more typical parent. He does care about his children and even his reaction to Pan disappearing in the previous Super episode was a bit more of emotional than I expected. I agree that he isn't going to win father of the year, but at the same time, I don't think he's quite as bad of a father as I've seen people make him out to be.

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Ratings
5,301 36
Austin, Texas
I wouldn't call Goku a bad parent because he cares deeply for his family he would go to the deepest ends to keep them safe, but at the same time he clearly isn't much of a family guy given how he cares more about fighting than actually being there for his family.

A.Magik

Sep 28, 2003
Ratings
Pittsburgh
Visit site
It's a mixed situation for me. It was the father-son angle that got me watching DBZ in the first place, only to notice Goku making a lot of absence time (nevertheless, it has to be noted that Goku has spent more time with Gohan- eight years- than any of his friends and allies). He does love his sons (pain over their being harmed or endangered), BUT his love of fighting is the greater priority and his manchild nature would make him ignorant or fickle to any realization that he may have hurt them ("I've neglected my kids!...Oh well!"). It's a pro to Gohan and Goten that they don't bear any bitterness to it.

Rabbitearsblog

Jul 6, 2011
Ratings
257 6
United States
I wouldn't say that Goku is a horrible parent, as he does really care for his kids. But, as everyone has pointed out, he just loves fighting so much that he tends to leave his family behind a lot and he doesn't seem to know how to handle really emotional situations due to his manchild nature.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Yeah I'm probably not coming back
I was just about to say "Where's Gridman?" on that Crunchyroll streaming thread.
DISH had recent upgrades on the 61.5 orbital slot this early morning. My signal strengths got increased and transponders were moved to another.

How Cartoon Network and TBS moved to other transponders. :P
What I love from the commercial studio Psyop, is the Cricket Wireless critters (known as the Cricketters) in different shapes and colored in Green, Yellow and Blue. So imaginative and cute! :)
Most Europeans here don't know about the old Grinch Christmas special. Even in Portugal.