Would Ren and Stimpy have fared better now?

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
I'm talking about scheduling and delays. When Ren and Stimpy debuted, a season of an animated television show starting circa August and ending circa May was customary. Deadlines were expected to be met no matter what, and significant gaps between seasons and episodes were unheard of. This has been cited as the main reason why John K. was fired from Ren and Stimpy and why Nickelodeon set up Games to make it instead.

Would Ren and Stimpy have had an easier time now, now that it's much more common for shows to go on lengthy hiatuses? Or would John K. have doomed the show in some other way? I know the answer, but it'd be fun to discuss.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Oh noooo, it wouldn't. This generation of people have low attention spans, much lower than the previous. No way it would work unless it was SpongeBob, and its ninth season had stretched into almost five flipping years. Besides, if the show came today it probably wouldn't even make it past the development stages.

Unless Netflix had the rights and specifically released it when it's appropriate, like six episodes here and seven episodes there.

Last edited:

Dr.Pepper

I think scheduling like that would only work if the show had been around for a while and had a big fan base.

jaylop97

Staff member
I've heard that Nick's practices have really been more strict than they were in the 90s. There is more executive meddling within the production and what a show can or cannot do, in comparison to the 90s. Other than that I feel like it would have likely not been as well received as it is now, due to how Nick handles it's practices nowadays and being more in check with what a cartoon can or cannot do, which would have given the show less to work with.

ToonJay723

Staff member
I'd say no, because networks still want episodes delivered at a certain time, regardless of when they plan to air it. And even if they don't air it in a timely manner, it would have to be completed for foreign countries to air it.

chocolate

Mentally Still in 2016
Not at all, child viewers of Nick grow and grow which means more kid-friendly. But if it were to happen, it would be cancelled quick just like in the case of Invader Zim.

ShadowBeast

I've heard that Nick's practices have really been more strict than they were in the 90s. There is more executive meddling within the production and what a show can or cannot do, in comparison to the 90s. Other than that I feel like it would have likely not been as well received as it is now, due to how Nick handles it's practices nowadays and being more in check with what a cartoon can or cannot do, which would have given the show less to work with.
Ren and Stimpy would be best aired on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim, which do give their shows a lot of time to be made considering Venture Brothers and Rick and Morty. But we would've more likely gotten the much hated adult version of the show instead what we got on Nickelodeon.

ToonJay723

Staff member
Keep in mind, the OP is talking about Ren & Stimpy constantly missing deadlines rather than the content of the show itself.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Based on what I've read about John K's perfectionist attitude towards his work, I'm pretty sure that missing deadlines would still be a big issue for the series. Perhaps there wouldn't be as much of a crunch time to get the episodes done now compared to when the series was airing new episodes, but it would probably still happen often enough. At best, maybe John K wouldn't have been fired as quickly as he did, assuming that he wouldn't be fired for sexual harassment or anything like that first, but I'm positive that his attitude towards his work would still result in enough complications to where Nick would have to fire him.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Besides, for better or worse, if it wasn't for John K. being fired Nickelodeon probably would've created their studio years later.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

CNC
How come every time I try to associate with a social media account on my profile, I'm getting an error message?

To everyone reading this: You're one in a million. In other words, you're special.

Gennedy has a new show coming soon and returning to Cartoon Network. This better not get screwed over like Sym Bionic Titan

This is an interesting set of choices. We have 2 WB shows and 2 Disney Junior shows.