"Wonder Woman: Bloodlines" Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

"Wonder Woman: Bloodlines" - Discuss and Rate this DC Universe Movie title!

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Wonder Woman: Bloodlines finds our hero facing off against a bevy of foes while grappling with her place in the world. Discuss both the DC Universe Movie animated feature and its home media release right here!

Wonder Woman: Bloodlines
Studio:
Warner Bros. Animation
Release Date: October 5, 2019 - Digital; October 22, 2019 - 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD, DC Universe Streaming Service

Synopsis: In Wonder Woman: Bloodlines, Amazon princess Diana of Themyscira chooses to save fighter pilot Steve Trevor and return him to his home in America – setting in motion one of Wonder Woman's most captivating chapters. Fulfilling the role of both ambassador as well as protector, Diana soon earns the name Wonder Woman from the gracious people of Earth. Equally strong in body, heart and will, she makes it her mission to help a troubled young girl enlisted by a deadly organization known as Villainy, Inc., whose criminal members have their sights set on invading Themyscira, Diana's paradise home. Prepare for a thrilling quest packed with brutal battles, mysterious mythology and endless wonder!

Rosario Dawson (Jane the Virgin, Rent, Luke Cage) returns as the voice of Wonder Woman for the sixth time, leading a sensational Wonder Woman: Bloodlines voice cast that includes Jeffrey Donovan (Fargo, Burn Notice) as Steve Trevor, Marie Avgeropoulos (The 100) as Silver Swan, Adrienne C. Moore (Orange Is the New Black) as Etta Candy, Kimberly Brooks (DC Super Hero Girls, Mass Effect, Winx Club) as The Cheetah & Giganta, Courtenay Taylor (Regular Show, Fallout 4) as Dr. Poison, Constance Zimmer (Entourage, House of Cards, Unreal) as Veronica Cale, Nia Vardalos (My Big Fat Greek Wedding) as Julia Kapatelis, Michael Dorn (Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Arrow) as Ferdinand, Cree Summer (Batman Beyond, Rugrats) as Hippolyta, Mozhan Marno (The Blacklist, House of Cards) as Dr. Cyber, and Ray Chase (Justice League Dark) as Lead Bandit

Wonder Woman: Bloodlines is co-directed by Sam Liu (Reign of the Supermen) and Justin Copeland (Batman: Hush) from a script by Mairghread Scott (Justice League Action, Guardians of the Galaxy animated series). Jim Krieg (Batman: Gotham by Gaslight) is co-producer. Sam Liu and Amy McKenna (The Death of Superman) are producers. Executive Producers are Sam Register and James Tucker (Batman: Hush).

Wonder Woman: Bloodlines Bonus Content*
-DC Showcase: Death (Animated Short): Inspired by Neil Gaiman’s “The Sandman,” Death is produced & directed by Sam Liu and written by J.M. DeMatteis. In the story, Vincent, an artist with unresolved inner demons, meets a mysterious girl who helps him come to terms with his creative legacy … and eventual death. Leonard Nam provides the voice of Vincent, and Jamie Chung is the voice of Death. The voice cast includes Darin De Paul, Keith Szarabajka and Kari Wahlgren.
-Short Feature: "The Cheetah: Ferocious Archenemy " - Ferocious. Clever. Deadly. It’s the thrill of the hunt and the prey is Wonder Woman. This is the story of The Cheetah, Diana’s greatest enemy.
-Sneak Peak: A Sneak Peek at the next DC Universe Movie, "Superman: Red Son " - An advanced look at the next animated film in the popular DC Universe Movies collection.
-From the DC Vault - Bonus Cartoons
*Note: Bonus content may vary between 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD editions.

Discuss the Wonder Woman: Bloodlines animated release here!

Please note this talkback is for both the Wonder Woman" Bloodlines animated feature and all aspects of the assorted home media releases. Discussion for both are now housed in one single talkback discussion thread. Spoilers are also allowed, so those who have yet to see the movie may want to avoid this thread until they have.

Related Threads:

-Death Animated Short Talkback (Spoilers)
-Wonder Woman: Bloodlines Animated Release Review (Spoilers)
-Wonder Woman: Bloodlines Pre-Release News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)
-Batman: Hush Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)
-Reign of the Supermen Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Death of Superman Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)
-Suicide Squad: Hell To Pay Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Teen Titans: The Judas Contract Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League Dark Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League vs Teen Titans Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: Bad Blood Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman vs Robin Animated Features Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League: Throne of Atlantis Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Son of Batman Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League: War Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Wonder Woman (2017) Feature Film Talkback (Spoilers)
-Wonder Woman (2009) Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: Remember, we appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Spider-Man

I thought the animation and the characters designs were really great but the story wasn't the best. I feel like the script needed another go through to cut out some of the longer scenes and give the dialogue a bit of a polish. There were some real groaners in here. Silver Swan was interesting but we've seen this story before. I was still entertained but whenever the movie slowed down it just screeched to a boring halt. I do hope we see more of these character designs used though.

CyberCubed

This movie was really bad. Probably the worst DC animated movie we had in a long time. Everything about it just felt off.

The origin story was awful, Silver Swan was awful. All the slow motion comedy scenes were so bad, because the camera would "freeze" on the characters expressions after some sort of Joss Whedon joke was said like we were supposed to laugh. Really odd.

Besides that the movie dragged at times and felt boring. Steve Trevor was also really boring and the supporting cast was dull as dishwater.

Some of the action/fighting scenes were good as usual but that's about it. I don't know but this was pretty much a chore to sit through.

This came out 10 years from the first Wonder Woman DC animated DTV in 2009, and hard to believe a movie from 10 years ago was both animated better and had a better story than one 10 years later in 2019.

Deshaded

i dunno, I thought this ranked up there with the 2009 movie and recent DC output like Hell to Pay and Reign of the Supermen. I really enjoyed it. I was happy to see so many of Diana's villains interwoven seamlessly with Silver Swan as a natural anchor to the whole "Finding Themyscira" plot. The movie had a central theme of motherly, daughterly, and sisterly bonds to it using Diana's relationship with her mother Hippolyta to juxtapose it with Vanessa's relationship to her mother Julia Kapatelis. Both Diana and Vanessa wanted to step out of the role their mothers were grooming them to be and we got to see how wildly different the two accomplished that. I also liked seeing Villainy Inc get their karmic comeuppance by tampering with forces out of their control as a result of their overwhelming ambition and that manifesting in the form of Medusa. Also go Etta Candy, get you some girl.

Now for the cons, I did think Cheetah was a waste in a movie about an archaeological plot to find Themyscira. She was just a hired mook trying to hurt Diana, ugh. And I did think Vanessa's motivations were sort of half-baked including her redemption with Diana at the end. At one point I thought Vanessa was so jealous of her mom's special treatment with Diana that she killed her own mom LOL. I'm glad that wasn't the case.

Speaking of which, the credit scene was a nice twist. For a second I thought Veronica Cale really was a neutral character and I like that it hints there's more to come with this, like more Wonder Woman films. Where we can better explore the members of Villainy Inc without Silver Swan (who I did like, for the most part) sucking up the oxygen in the group.

Lord Sidious

I know some scenes are pre War but are there scenes that are post Death of Superman???

is this a total prequel or does it take place after JL??

Deshaded

I know some scenes are pre War but are there scenes that are post Death of Superman???

is this a total prequel or does it take place after JL??

It's pretty self-contained, so hard to say when it takes place. Steve crashing on the island is pre-War yes and the main story only references that Diana and Clark used to date but not anymore.

Lord Sidious

It's pretty self-contained, so hard to say when it takes place. Steve crashing on the island is pre-War yes and the main story only references that Diana and Clark used to date but not anymore.

cool thanks....so the main story does take place after JL War. Nice!!

Dusty

Superman.
I didn’t want to read or see too much about this... but just saw the iTunes trailer. I thought someone said this was a sequel to the 2008 DCTV WW (that one was amazing sauce.)
The story was awesome, the animation, action, and especially the voice casting was brilliant... this seems not as good. Are they just trying to have this link with their Nu52 DC movies (even though the Nu52 ended years ago?)
Sorry I’m so late to the party.

Kallum.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I thought someone said this was a sequel to the 2008 DCTV WW
Whoever said that was wrong.

Are they just trying to have this link with their Nu52 DC movies (even though the Nu52 ended years ago?)
The in-continuity movies that began with Justice League: War are still ongoing and yes, this movie is part of that continuity. It in parts fills the audience in on Wonder Woman's back story pre-War.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
I almost feel compelled to watch JL War again to see if Wonder Woman had actually been aware of Parademons prior to the events of that movie. Honestly, I felt the first scene was an unnecessary rehash of the origin of WW, her introduction to Steve, etc., but didn't really adapt it in an interesting way.

It's good they are digging into actual characters of WW's lore, such as classics Cheetah and Giganta, the Kapatelises from my favorite "modern" run (Perez), and a bunch of Rucka-era characters and plots. On the negative side, none of the villains really has an interesting story. The Medusa fight was also adapted from Rucka's run, but it lost some oomph when you know that the Purple Healing Ray will be available to heal her wounds.

One person I really miss is Andrea Romano. It's not often when I comment on the quality of the voice acting, but this one did feel weaker compared to some of Romano's more notable works.

All around, it was OK. Not great, not bad.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I almost feel compelled to watch JL War again to see if Wonder Woman had actually been aware of Parademons prior to the events of that movie.
That would be the 30:40 mark when Parademons pour out of the White House. Wonder Woman is not shocked to see Parademons coming at her nor is curious about what they are and charges right into battle against them. Take from that what you will but there is enough ambiguity in Wonder Woman's opening scenes in War that they were able build backwards off of it a couple years later in Bloodlines and expand on her back story with no contradictions so far. Plus, in War, she's the most adept at killing the Parademons at the start of the invasion compared to the other heroes so you could interpret it was experience from a previous encounter.

-batmat-

I'm just gonna say, I think I'm not the target audience for this movie.

This came out 10 years from the first Wonder Woman DC animated DTV in 2009, and hard to believe a movie from 10 years ago was both animated better and had a better story than one 10 years later in 2019.

The Superman animated shorts by Max Fleischer came out in 1941 and have better animation that most of the stuff that came afterwards, even up to this day. It's not a matter of time, it's a matter of budget, amount of work you can do before the deadline, etc. But I think this line of DC movies have been getting less budget to work with than before.

I mentioned earlier that I re watched Under The Red Hood not too long ago, and the animation was just so much better than the movies being released these days by DC.

Otaku-sempai

The Superman animated shorts by Max Fleischer came out in 1941 and have better animation that most of the stuff that came afterwards, even up to this day. It's not a matter of time, it's a matter of budget, amount of work you can do before the deadline, etc. But I think this line of DC movies have been getting less budget to work with than before.
Well, yes, the majority of animated theatrical shorts were fully animated. It was only later, shortly before such shorts were (mostly) discontinued, that studios started experimenting with more limited animation. Limited animation has become the standard for network television and for straight-to-video animated features and shorts.

ganon51

Definitely 2.5/5. It..... the most I can call it is OK. It was refreshing to get an Animated New-52 movie without Phil Bourassa's art style(I personally think Diana looks better in this style). Her origin in the first 10 minutes was like a rushed, bootleg version of the 2017 movie (and seriously?? she battles her own mom for this stranger she just met??). The voice acting was also stale and Silver Swan was too forced.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
I will also add that the mid-credits scene seems poorly placed. Anyone familiar with WW over the past 15 years knew a scene like that was coming, but to put it in the middle of spoilers which is usually 1) a bonus scene or 2) something to hype the next movie, that content was just too important to separate it from the rest of the film. On top of that, I thought WW's response was, well, what a hero would say if her job was not to get justice now but in a profitable opportunity later.

On the one hand, you can say it's one of the more important mid-/post-credit scenes yet, but that's because it seemed like one of the most important reveals highly relevant to the plot (e.g. Thanos wasn't that important to what actually happens in the first Avengers main movie) was saved for the credits because they didn't have proper content to segue into that scene.

bigdaddy313

Did Warner Brothers buy an animation studio in Korea cause unless I was smoking I didn't see any mention in the credits about which animation company made it was WB?

But I can see by the design and the use of color, it's the same team who did Superman Unbound.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts