Wishbone

What were your thoughts on Wishbone when it aired in the 90s? I wasn't actually going to make a thread about this show, but apparently someone actually uploaded a review of this show's Halloween Special today. I haven't watched the show in years, but when watching the review, I did manage to see a lot of clips in that video.

From the clips I did see recently in the video, it seems to have aged quite well. I'm not sure if the acting is amazing or anything, but it does seem good enough and kid acting in shows don't tend to be the best from what I have seen. I do like the voice acting of Wishbone and find it to be a fun voice. The best thing about the show though from what I remember is how it mixed entertainment with education. This was similar to shows like Arthur, Magic School Bus, and Bill Nye in that it was fun to watch, but you also learn a lot from the show. In this case, seeing Wishbone imagining himself in classic literature was very fun and the stories were quite intriguing and very faithful to the source materials.

A lot of shows from that decade tend to not hold up well, but Wishbone seems to be one of those ones that do hold up, especially for kids. It's a really good show if you want to get into classic literature. It's shows like this and Arthur that kind of make me want to be a teacher honestly (there's so many jobs I want, it's weird). The show is definitely best suited for Elementary Schoolers, but to me, that's not a bad thing. Personally, it's a show that if I was a teacher, I would definitely show to Elementary Schoolers as a learning tool for classic literature.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Last time I watched the show was during the 90s, so almost 20 years ago. I liked it back then, but then again I was a kid. Not sure how it holds up today, although the theme song is still nice and has a calm vibe. I view the series somewhat as a in some ways more creative and superior pilot to Dog With a Blog - which is the most similar show I can think of.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I don't actually know if the show aired in my country or not, but if it did air, it was before I was born or when I was a baby.

Dr.Pepper

I haven't seen it in a long, long time, but I have fond memories of coming home from school and watching it along with Magic School Bus, Arthur, and Kratts Creatures like 20 years ago.

ThunDun

Damn! This inspired me to watch the opening credits again and that song took me right back. Wishbone was the number one reason i harassed my parents about getting a dog. I never did, but anyhow.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I loved watching Wishbone back in the day. It was a cute fun show. I haven't seen it in years, so I don't know how well it has aged either, but it was a creative premise to get kids more interested in reading. Plus, a show about a dog who loves book was practically perfect for me. I have a lot of fond memories watching it on PBS when I was little.

Jonathan Teka

Oh I remember that show. I first saw it by watching reruns on PBS on weekends in 2007/2008.

langden alger

Loved it. The show was so innocent and positive with a really good message about reading and imagination. And of course, Wishbone was cute beyond words. The way characters would interact with him in his imagination sequences was so funny and cute.

DeanBurrito25

I remember my parents getting me the Oliver Twist, Odyseey, and Prince and The Pauper episodes on VHS; I think my cousin was the one who had Hound of The Baskervilles. Suffice to say I enjoyed that show a lot!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts