Will there be a Powerpuff Girls 20th Anniversary Special??? Of course NOT!!!

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
Considering that Powerpuff Girls is a popular brand, and the fact that Cartoon Network acknowledges it made me feel like the franchise was going to get a 20th Anniversary special, but then I heard rumors about the reboot being cancelled, just before the original show makes its mark in two months...I'm not even sure if there's going to be one. Any thoughts/comments?

EDIT: There will not be one because Cartoon Network barely commemorated the 25th anniversary of the launch of the network last year. They're not going to care about the 20th anniversary of this show.

Last edited:

jaylop97

Staff member
If they ever plan anything special, I'm doubtful that Craig McCracken will have any involvement since he is the type of person who likely would hint such an event.

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

Well, maybe CN will air a PPG reboot episode where the girls will celebrate their birthday or something.

Either that or there won't be anything. We would have heard something about it by now if there was.

Dr.Pepper

They are not going to a special. If they were doing a special we would have heard about a long time ago.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The "Powerhouse" era of Cartoon Network is often said to have kicked off in July 1997 with the premiere of "Johnny Bravo", "Cow and Chicken" and "I Am Weasel".

But the true look of the era (with the new bumpers and increased focus on "Cartoon Cartoon" premieres) was in 1998, especially by the time "Powerpuff Girls" premiered in November of that year.

Is it something worth commemorating? Yes, I think so. It was an era of greatness, and it was Cartoon Network's flagship title, for a while.

Will Cartoon Network commemorate it? Absolutely not. That would conflict with their Powerpuff Girls reboot.

SweetShop209

Possibly, but it will most likely be done without Craig McCracken (since he's still in a contract with Disney) and use the cast and crew for the reboot.

superkeegan9100

Yeah, Craig's not going to be involved at all, I think he's still in a contract with Disney (although I doubt he's doing anything on Disney's current shows)

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
...But why??? Cartoon Network does have episodes of the old show on their website...why shouldn't they commemorate it???

Cartoon Network barely commemorated the 25th anniversary of the launch of the network last year. They're not going to care about the 20th anniversary of this show.

I think back in 2012, with the 20th anniversary of the network, that was the last time Cartoon Network ever properly acknowledge their past.

Last edited:

superkeegan9100

Cartoon Network barely commemorated the 25th anniversary of the launch of the network last year. They're not going to care about the 20th anniversary of this show.

I think back in 2012, with the 20th anniversary of the network, that was the last time Cartoon Network would ever properly acknowledge their past.
Oh...you make a good point. Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't properly acknowledged the original show now (aside from that 20th anniversary logo)

Vaughn Max

You'll probably have to wait until it's 100th anniversary for one

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Hate to be that jerk in the room, but yeah. I think we're better off this way. I don't think the anniversary episodes are anything worth remembering to begin with, simply because they're just not good as anything S1 - S4 gave us that makes the show truly worth remembering, IMHO.

This reboot really needs to burn, honestly. To be fair, however, as much as I love the original, it was only good for its first 4 seasons.

This is one beast best allowed to RIP - but that can only really begin once this garbage reboot goes away, again - IMHO.

BlooMac

There could have been one, if the awful reboot didn't exist. It may have gotten a little profit for CN, but it also damaged the franchise.

As for airing the original series, there's definitely some sort of limit for that, because of the reboot. Yes, it's online, but that doesn't really count and it's only in the US. It can't be a coincidence that whenever some CN feed brings back old CN originals, OG PPG are always left out. (Only Latin America and Turkey have gotten to air it recently and the latter only did it once for their anniversary.)

ToonsJazzLover

Knowing how much they air the reboot (only when there's a premiere), I doubt they're going to do anything with the franchise's 20th anniversary.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
Afaik the only things they promised for the birthday celebration are "global rollout of new episodes" and a bunch of merchandise. Aside from that, zilch.

Vaughn Max

There could have been one, if the awful reboot didn't exist. It may have gotten a little profit for CN, but it also damaged the franchise.

As for airing the original series, there's definitely some sort of limit for that, because of the reboot. Yes, it's online, but that doesn't really count and it's only in the US. It can't be a coincidence that whenever some CN feed brings back old CN originals, OG PPG are always left out. (Only Latin America and Turkey have gotten to air it recently and the latter only did it once for their anniversary.)
CN India airs the original

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Pooky

Staff member
I was hoping for a TMNT style crossover between the 1998 and 2016 girls, with the 1998 girls animated in the original style and voiced by the original cast. Doesn't look like it's happening though, at least not for the 20th anniversary.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts