Will there be a Powerpuff Girls 20th Anniversary Special??? Of course NOT!!!

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon analyst, PPG artist.
Jan 10, 2015
Ratings
7,476 89
Raleigh, North Carolina
www.youtube.com
Considering that Powerpuff Girls is a popular brand, and the fact that Cartoon Network acknowledges it made me feel like the franchise was going to get a 20th Anniversary special, but then I heard rumors about the reboot being cancelled, just before the original show makes its mark in two months...I'm not even sure if there's going to be one. Any thoughts/comments?

EDIT: There will not be one because Cartoon Network barely commemorated the 25th anniversary of the launch of the network last year. They're not going to care about the 20th anniversary of this show.

Last edited:

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
937 16
Springfield, MO
The "Powerhouse" era of Cartoon Network is often said to have kicked off in July 1997 with the premiere of "Johnny Bravo", "Cow and Chicken" and "I Am Weasel".

But the true look of the era (with the new bumpers and increased focus on "Cartoon Cartoon" premieres) was in 1998, especially by the time "Powerpuff Girls" premiered in November of that year.

Is it something worth commemorating? Yes, I think so. It was an era of greatness, and it was Cartoon Network's flagship title, for a while.

Will Cartoon Network commemorate it? Absolutely not. That would conflict with their Powerpuff Girls reboot.

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
937 16
Springfield, MO
...But why??? Cartoon Network does have episodes of the old show on their website...why shouldn't they commemorate it???
Cartoon Network barely commemorated the 25th anniversary of the launch of the network last year. They're not going to care about the 20th anniversary of this show.

I think back in 2012, with the 20th anniversary of the network, that was the last time Cartoon Network ever properly acknowledge their past.

Last edited:

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon analyst, PPG artist.
Jan 10, 2015
Ratings
7,476 89
Raleigh, North Carolina
www.youtube.com
Cartoon Network barely commemorated the 25th anniversary of the launch of the network last year. They're not going to care about the 20th anniversary of this show.

I think back in 2012, with the 20th anniversary of the network, that was the last time Cartoon Network would ever properly acknowledge their past.
Oh...you make a good point. Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't properly acknowledged the original show now (aside from that 20th anniversary logo)

I.R. Shokew

DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs
Sep 26, 2011
Ratings
1,792 10
Who wants to find me that badly anymore?
Hate to be that jerk in the room, but yeah. I think we're better off this way. I don't think the anniversary episodes are anything worth remembering to begin with, simply because they're just not good as anything S1 - S4 gave us that makes the show truly worth remembering, IMHO.

This reboot really needs to burn, honestly. To be fair, however, as much as I love the original, it was only good for its first 4 seasons.

This is one beast best allowed to RIP - but that can only really begin once this garbage reboot goes away, again - IMHO.

BlooMac

Mar 2, 2009
Ratings
1,074 7
Bulgaria
There could have been one, if the awful reboot didn't exist. It may have gotten a little profit for CN, but it also damaged the franchise.

As for airing the original series, there's definitely some sort of limit for that, because of the reboot. Yes, it's online, but that doesn't really count and it's only in the US. It can't be a coincidence that whenever some CN feed brings back old CN originals, OG PPG are always left out. (Only Latin America and Turkey have gotten to air it recently and the latter only did it once for their anniversary.)

Vaughn Max

Sep 10, 2017
Ratings
398 39
There could have been one, if the awful reboot didn't exist. It may have gotten a little profit for CN, but it also damaged the franchise.

As for airing the original series, there's definitely some sort of limit for that, because of the reboot. Yes, it's online, but that doesn't really count and it's only in the US. It can't be a coincidence that whenever some CN feed brings back old CN originals, OG PPG are always left out. (Only Latin America and Turkey have gotten to air it recently and the latter only did it once for their anniversary.)
CN India airs the original

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Jul 14, 2010
Ratings
UK
I was hoping for a TMNT style crossover between the 1998 and 2016 girls, with the 1998 girls animated in the original style and voiced by the original cast. Doesn't look like it's happening though, at least not for the 20th anniversary.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

I was just about to say "Where's Gridman?" on that Crunchyroll streaming thread.
DISH had recent upgrades on the 61.5 orbital slot this early morning. My signal strengths got increased and transponders were moved to another.

How Cartoon Network and TBS moved to other transponders. :P
What I love from the commercial studio Psyop, is the Cricket Wireless critters (known as the Cricketters) in different shapes and colored in Green, Yellow and Blue. So imaginative and cute! :)
Most Europeans here don't know about the old Grinch Christmas special. Even in Portugal.
When Is the Nickelodeon Highlights usually up for December? I Was just wondering...