Will the 2020s see many reboots of cartoons from 1990s?

5YearsOnEastCoast

I have noticed that there reboots of 1980s cartoons during 2010s. Examples include: She-Ra, My Little Pony, TMNT, Ducktales, Thundercats etc. And here we are in beginning of 2020s where we will soon get reboots of Rugrats, Animaniacs, Beavis and Butthead Ren & Stimpy Show, all of which were 1990s cartoons. One could question if we will get even more reboots from 1990s cartoons considering that companies started to like reboots even more than in past. Like would they go and reboot shows like Doug, Recess, Angry Beavers, Dexter's Laboratory or Johnny Bravo? It was very rare to see a reboot of 90s cartoon in 2010s, but considering how it is apparently now blooming, can you see them rebooting other 90s cartoons and which would they pick. Will they pick the successful ones or maybe even the the ones that crashed? What do you think?

dothesmartthing

Planet Yakko
More than likely. I think there's a certain cycle that'll take shape in the coming decades (2030s may be about rebooting 2000/2010s shows). But honestly, there's been a lot of 90s shows that were so appealing to viewers, producers want to do more than just reminisce that and make reboots for both old and new fans.

khuddle

Isn't director Kevin Smith (from "Clerks" fame) putting together an animated reboot of "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe"? Could be interesting.

As for 1990 reboots, I'd like to see them do a reboot of the MTV series "Aeon Flux". That show was awesome and had some fascinating ideas.

(And if they're doing 1980s reboots, I'd like to firstly, a first rate GI Joe reboot and secondly, another Thundercats reboot, seen to its completion this time, and with an uber-sexy Cheetarah (I found Cheetarah in the 2011 reboot to be super-lame)).

Last edited:
It was alot rarer back in the late 2000s and early 2010s. Back then, networks generally moved on from old shows, and established IPs, and the only revivals we got from that period were The Looney Tunes Show, Beavis and Butt-Head, and Futurama, and the only established IPs networks really focused on were SpongeBob, Family Guy, South Park and The Simpsons. (Especially Family Guy, which was at the height of it's popularity back then)

But by the mid to late 2010s (2015-2019), it started to be a regular occurence, with Nickelodeon revisiting their vault, and reviving their 90s/early 2000s shows as movies, and specials (And in the case of Rugrats, a series), and by 2019, it had become alot more common for old shows to either get a continuation or a reboot. I can definitely see more 90s shows being revived in this decade, especially as they happened 30 years ago now, and networks are going to want to dust off old IPs.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
2 reboots I want to see are Gravedale High, which would be produced by DreamWorks Animation, or if they get into TV, Illumination, for Peacock, and Duckman, which in this case would pick up from where the last episode left off. That show would go on Comedy Central, which is now a sister company to CBS Studios which owns the rights to Duckman. CC's reviving other animated shows and giving another a spin-off, so why not Duckman too?

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
I have noticed that there reboots of 1980s cartoons during 2010s. Examples include: She-Ra, My Little Pony, TMNT, Ducktales, Thundercats etc. And here we are in beginning of 2020s where we will soon get reboots of Rugrats, Animaniacs, Beavis and Butthead Ren & Stimpy Show, all of which were 1990s cartoons. One could question if we will get even more reboots from 1990s cartoons considering that companies started to like reboots even more than in past. Like would they go and reboot shows like Doug, Recess, Angry Beavers, Dexter's Laboratory or Johnny Bravo? It was very rare to see a reboot of 90s cartoon in 2010s, but considering how it is apparently now blooming, can you see them rebooting other 90s cartoons and which would they pick. Will they pick the successful ones or maybe even the the ones that crashed? What do you think?
I have to admit the 80s seem to still have more exploitable real estate as bad as some of those toy commercials might have been. You can conceptually do more compared to the 90s which seems like enough of them have carried over to the 21st century OR the remaining shows/brands are just too anchored to when they premiered to make a significant belated dent in the 2020s. ReBoot got a reboot. Carmen Sandiego & Wally/Waldo rebooted. We also had DC & Marvel do their second shared animated universes after several years of one-offs.

I see trends being brought back more-so than the IP's of the 90s like all these "baby" spinoffs because the way old shows are promoted/dusted off has become so widely different from what the norm was which the 2010s became the abrupt transition period for.

5YearsOnEastCoast

I have to admit the 80s seem to still have more exploitable real estate as bad as some of those toy commercials might have been. You can conceptually do more compared to the 90s which seems like enough of them have carried over to the 21st century OR the remaining shows/brands are just too anchored to when they premiered to make a significant belated dent in the 2020s. ReBoot got a reboot. Carmen Sandiego & Wally/Waldo rebooted. We also had DC & Marvel do their second shared animated universes after several years of one-offs.

I see trends being brought back more-so than the IP's of the 90s like all these "baby" spinoffs because the way old shows are promoted/dusted off has become so widely different from what the norm was which the 2010s became the abrupt transition period for.

I have seen that you have found me on IMDB.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
It was alot rarer back in the late 2000s and early 2010s. Back then, networks generally moved on from old shows, and established IPs, and the only revivals we got from that period were The Looney Tunes Show, Beavis and Butt-Head, and Futurama, and the only established IPs networks really focused on were SpongeBob, Family Guy, South Park and The Simpsons. (Especially Family Guy, which was at the height of it's popularity back then)
You forgot all of the Scooby-Doo and Transformers cartoons, and ThunderCats (2011).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

WBD announces a Meerkat Manor animated film. In other news, the world suddenly remembers Meerkat Manor exists.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)

Featured Posts