Will "Slice of Life" cartoons ever make a comeback?

Zorak Masaki

Does anyone think that cartoons about everyday life (ie, hey arnold, doug, even King of the Hill qualifies) will ever make a comeback? It seems like cartoons currently are getting crazier and crazier, and while i dont mind that, some variety would be nice (i suppose Bob's Burgers MIGHT qualify, but considering how over the top it can get im not sure).

Dudley

Staff member
Cartoon Network picked up a cartoon called Clarence. Based on the pilot, it looks like it's a slice of life cartoon.

ChildHood90s

Loves his coffee
Cartoon Network recently released a video on their Vimeo page talking with their staple of animators, discussing current cartoons, and upcoming animated series. Clarence, Uncle Grandpa, and Steven Universe were featured.

And the people behind Clarence were very passionate about telling a "slice of life" with their new show. Apparently they used to "climb in this barrel and roll down this hill" as youths. lol

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Personally, I'd consider My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic to be somewhat "slice of life". Yes, there's some episode with "fantasy-based" themes to it. However, there's a number of episodes (especially those with the Cutie Mark Crusaders as the main characters) that tend to focus on regular everyday situations.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Friendship Is Magic, Dan Vs., and Littlest Pet Shop (2012) already fill that void for me - heck there are moments in Gravity Falls and Regular Show that did that, too - but were actually more unique about approaching it... Yeah - I don't think this genre ever died, IMHO. It just needed a new and better approach, and one that wouldn't make it feel like we're watching another cartoon about going to school, either.

Zorak Masaki

I dont think i'd call Dan Vs. a slice of life show at all. There's too many fantasy and fantastic elements in that show to consider it "realistic".

hobbyfan

Slice of life would be defined by domestic sitcom toons like King of the Hill and perhaps (since I haven't seen it) Bob's Burgers. The Simpsons may fall in that category too, but it's too satirical in nature. Ditto Family Guy.

Kuromi_Star

Neko mimi mode
Bob's Burger's definitely counts. It's like saying Lucky Star isn't Slice of life because Konata has weird habits. I think Sanjay and Craig counts too, even though it's sort of out there

After having a chance to take a look at the pilot episode of Cartoon Network's upcoming animated television series "Clarence", I think that it's safe to guess that this series is going to be a slice of life cartoon, which is one of the reasons i can't wait for it to make it's premiere.
I have had a deep passion for slice of life cartoons since as far back as I can remember. I just loved watching shows like Pepper Ann, Recess, The Weekenders, Hey Arnold, etc etc. They were always a great pleasure to watch because I found that each of the storylines and character development to be very relateable and occasionally, there were times when I thought the underlying moral or message to the stories to be..actually kind of helpful in some ways. Slice of Life cartoons kind of went under the radar for a little bit, but they're gradually starting to be come back again, but in a more adult-oriented fashion, what with the above mentioned shows like FOX's sitcom Bob's Burgers and IFC's dramadey "Out There", and to a much lesser extent Dan Vs & Regular Show. I can't predict the future, but I hope that more Slice of Life cartoons will make a comeback some day, and I don't think they'll go away forever.

ILDC

I think Pen Ward intended Adventure Time to be sort of a slice of life for fantasy-land weirdos, especially earlier on.

I think Pen Ward intended Adventure Time to be sort of a slice of life for fantasy-land weirdos, especially earlier on.

Yeah, I'd say that Adventure Time is more on the Regular Show and Dan Vs. side of the spectrum when it comes to how "slice of life" that cartoon actually is.

ILDC

I can't remember if Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends was SoL or just a sitcom.

Perla Magica

Digital Love
I think in the future there will be more slice-of-life cartoons that today. Luckily five years have passed, we got stuff like Clarence and Harvey Beaks since that type of cartoons is becoming popular again.

I consider Out There as a slice-of-life comedy.
I watched today all episodes of Out There, and I must agree with you, it's pretty good as a slice-of-life comedy and gave me a lot of thinking about my teenage years.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Slice-of-life shows have less international appeal. You can't expect children from Turkey or Thailand (etc.) to like those as much as other American cartoons.

I would love another show like Hey Arnold or Clarence.

SourSweetGone

Simultaneously Too Old &Too Young For The Internet
They already have. That's what Craig of The Creek & We Bare Bears basically are. Not to mention most modern toons have SOL elements woven in to some degree

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts