Will Jennifer Lee Bring Back 2D Animation To Disney?

TsWade2

I'm sorry to brought this up again I know you guys think I'm Tooneguy (which I'm not), but now that Jennifer Lee is the new CEO of Disney Animation, I wonder (sorry) that maybe she might bring back 2d animation,. Of course, she might have to deal with those gre, I mean, important executives first. I know this is unlikely to happen and trying to be realistic as much as I can, but it doesn't to be hopeful just a little bit. If she is going to try bringing back 2d animation to Disney, I suggest they use the same style as Sergio Pablos's Klaus which is coming to Netflix next year. I mean, even though it's hand drawn, but unlike Paperman, this looks more like hand drawn disguising themselves as CGI. Now, before you guys say, "TsWade2, 2d is dead, you idiot!" Let me say, I am trying my best to move forward, but it's very hard for me.. And I can't promise that she'll bring hand drawn animation even if they use for the sequence of Mary Poppins Returns. So, please kindly cut me some slack. In the meantime, what do you guys think? Be honest.

Last edited:

Dudley

Staff member
For starters, I know you’re too nice to be ToonEGuy.
Second, if John Lasseter couldn’t bring back 2D animation, I doubt Jennifer Lee could, but hey, it’s been a few years since they tried. Honestly, and I know this isn’t 2D, but I wouldn’t mind if Disney makes a movie that looks like Feast. Just something visually different would be nice.
Also, fun little fact, the character Knowmore in Wreck-It Ralph 2, has some parts of him 2-D animated (his eyes and eyebrows)

If you love 2D animation so much, why not just watch movies made by other studios, like The Rabbi’s Cat, or April and the Extraordinary World, or Phantom Boy, or anything by Cartoon Saloon? The last two are on Netflix. And of course, there’s also anime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
As I mentioned in another thread, the only way Disney could even consider bring back 2D animation is if one of the bigger animation studios (like Warner Brothers or Dreamworks) were to create an original film not based on an established property and have it succeed in the box office through lots of promotion. (TV show based features wouldn't count since they're produced on much smaller budgets, and would make people think 2D is cheap looking.)

TsWade2

For starters, I know you’re too nice to be ToonEGuy.
Second, if John Lasseter couldn’t bring back 2D animation, I doubt Jennifer Lee could, but hey, it’s been a few years since they tried. Honestly, and I know this isn’t 2D, but I wouldn’t mind if Disney makes a movie that looks like Feast. Just something visually different would be nice.
Also, fun little fact, the character Knowmore in Wreck-It Ralph 2, has some parts of him 2-D animated (his eyes and eyebrows)

If you love 2D animation so much, why not just watch movies made by other studios, like The Rabbi’s Cat, or April and the Extraordinary World, or Phantom Boy, or anything by Cartoon Saloon? The last two are on Netflix. And of course, there’s also anime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For starters, thank you. I used to act like him, but after seeing his death tweets to Disney, I decided to tone it down.
Second, thanks for your honesty and cutting me some slack. I agree, they should used the meander animation for feature films like Paperman and Feast. Sadly however, I've heard they're no longer going to use the same style as Paperman and Feast anymore. Although they are still using the meander, but in a very different kind of way. But, we'll see if Disney can try that Klaus style I mention, someday. Also, I didn't realize Knowsmore eyes and eyebrows are 2d. I also found a 2d version of Sorcerer Mickey there too.

and thirdly, as a matter of fact, I did see some 2d animated films outside of Disney. I don't have a Netflix account at this time, but I saw them on Itunes. I just watch Nocturna, The Secret of Kells, Song of the Sea, and I've watch The Breadwinner yesterday and man, that movie was way serious for an animated film, but it's pretty good. And I need to check out Phantom Boy, I don't know if it'll help me get out of my system of wishing Disney doing more hand drawn animated films, but it's a start.

Again, thank you for cutting me some slack, this time. I'm going to try my best to move forward, and rest assured even though I can be a little bit hopeful that Jennifer Lee might bring hand drawn animation to Disney, but I can't promise it'll happen. We'll see how it goes in the future.

As I mentioned in another thread, the only way Disney could even consider bring back 2D animation is if one of the bigger animation studios (like Warner Brothers or Dreamworks) were to create an original film not based on an established property and have it succeed in the box office through lots of promotion. (TV show based features wouldn't count since they're produced on much smaller budgets, and would make people think 2D is cheap looking.)
I agree. I wasn't sure that My Little Pony The Movie will save 2d animation.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts