Will HBO Max Siphon Content from the Boomerang Streaming Service?

Yippee Coyote

Graphic Novelist
I noticed today when watching the latest HBO Max trailer on their website that their wall of posters toward the end includes not one, but TWO different images with The Jetsons. Jetsons are currently exclusive to the Boomerang streaming service, so does this mean sometime after the launch of HBO Max the show will be removed from Boom along with other content?

1587739782594.png
1587739790132.png

There's one for The Flintstones as well.

1587740120990.png

Last edited:

Moe

I do think that WarnerMedia and AT&T need to disclose about whichever shows coming to HBO Max completely and whichever separate service like Boomerang and DC Universe will be affected or not. They don't put all 90s cartoons from CN on Boomerang service after 3 years.

Disney released almost everything on Disney+ but not WarnerMedia.

DonTrashRoom

Have a nice trip, see you next fall
I don't think so. They said that there will be some overlap between the two services.

Moe

Is 1985 version of ThunderCats and 2011 version will coming to HBO Max?

Last edited:

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Frankly, I hope HBO Max DOES siphon the Boomerang app's content. After seeing the Legacy Collection trailer on CN's YouTube channel, HBO Max seems to be doing a better job handling CN's content.

How many Cartoon Cartoons have joined the Boomerang app in its entire 3 years of existence? Five. That's it. The Boomerang app could've been adding so much more, but instead of adding more CN classics or expanding the Hanna-Barbera library, they focused on a bunch of mediocre remakes and whatever new Scooby movie arrives on DVD. Meanwhile, HBO Max will be launching the main shows that everyone has been wanting on Boomerang since day 1--but never got. (Also, Codename: KND will be available simultaneously on HBO Max and Boomerang, so there's that.)

Since HBO Max is launching with tons of content and Boomerang has slowed to a croak, it seems like AT&T is transitioning us into the bigger streaming service.

Saotome2U

Ohhh, FREAK OUT!!
I was kinda thinking about this the other day, too and honestly I kinda think they should consider HBO Max as being a full consolidation of Boomerang/Cartoon Network content. If all you want is CN shows with the ads then you can stick with the CN app. If all you care about are Boomerang shows then stick to that app, and so on for DC Universe. But since the price tag for HBO Max is a bit more, I think it makes sense to have all of those wrapped up in there for those who want it -- kinda like a "bundle" of sorts.

I originally wasn't all too interested in Max, but as I thought more about it, well over 90% of my favorite cartoons are from Warner Bros/Hanna Barbera, so I think I'm taking the plunge for the service. Maybe down the line they will consider including most , if not all Boomerang stuff from today and throughout the 2000s.

Mandouga

I kinda think they should consider HBO Max as being a full consolidation of Boomerang/Cartoon Network content.

Yeah, 'cause that's the easiest solution to everything, isn't it? [/sarcasm]

Look, what they really need to do is improve Boomerang itself. Moving Boomerang to HBO Max isn't going to solve anything. The way I figure it, it isn't going to solve the problem of:

-not distinguishing between half-hour episodes and individual segments
-stalling; among other things, they have yet to add any of Hanna-Barbera's* other shows (moreover, their Paddington Bear series was taken down some time back)

If anything, if Boomerang were to be discontinued, and everything on it added to HBO Max, it could actually make the problem worse. Plus, I don't think some people will like the idea of paying $15 every month just to get the stuff they want to see. I mean, if you were only interested in Boomerang, would any of you actually pay that much just for that (and maybe the Cartoon Network originals), while avoiding everything else? Oh, and please don't give me the "came for [x] stayed for [y]" explanation. It's the principle of it. Don't give me the "you can log in with your cable/satellite/etc. provider" explanation, either. In the first place, it won't be widely available for while. Second, that's not the point, either way. For some people, it's a lot to ask for just to watch the stuff you want, and ignoring anything you don't.

The bottom line is, Boomerang needs to remain a separate service, and also needs to start improving. Otherwise, it will really just start causing more problems. To put it another way, "be careful what you wish for, you might get it".

*And while I'm at it, I'll also say they have yet to add anything Ruby-Spears made (that isn't owned by other companies, of course, although the animated Police Academy series is technically part of Warner Bros., but it could actually be added now).nothing

EDIT: Made a slight change to this post: I really meant to say "and avoiding anything you don't". Sorry about that, everyone.

Last edited:

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Check out this HBO Max billboard promoting the cartoons.

EYz596SWoAcqbu1.png

I might be reading a bit too much into this, but that slogan seems to make the streaming service's objective pretty clear.

Mandouga

Can we confirm that that hasn't been Photoshopped* in any way? Either way, until there is official confirmation (i.e., with a press release or something like that), we have to assume that Boomerang's shows will stay on Boomerang.

Moe

Can we confirm that that hasn't been Photoshopped* in any way? Either way, until there is official confirmation (i.e., with a press release or something like that), we have to assume that Boomerang's shows will stay on Boomerang.

If they don't add contents recently so it is obvious that WarnerMedia has intent to replace Boomerang sometime in the future. They won't tell anything and don't want to piss annual holders off.

For now, it is likely to be dual between Boomerang and HBO Max by offer contents on both services, however some contents may have to stay on Boomerang like Care Bears and Garfield due to license issues.

Moe

Bad news - HBO Max doesn't meet my expectation because of much less contents than I was expected.

Mandouga

Well anyway, I have since found out that some (repeat: some) Boomerang stuff is on there*. However, I must stress that this doesn't necessarily mean anything; not until or unless WarnerMedia makes an official statement of some kind.

*Including the Hanna-Barbera version of Paddington Bear, which was taken off of Boomerang some time back.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts