Will Disney make more PG-13 (maybe even R-rated) animated content in the future?

The Overlord

Disney bought our Marvel 10 years ago and right before the merger, Marvel was releasing some PG-13 direct to video movies (like Ultimate Avengers), which more or less dropped off around 2011. Now Disney has a reputation as the ''family-friendly'' company, but do you think they release some PG-13 or even R rated content in the future? Most of the animated content from Marvel/Disney is family-friendly (and most of it besides Big Hero 6 is awful), but not every Marvel character is a family-friendly character, like post-Frank Miller Daredevil, Deadpool or Punisher, and not every story, is family-friendly either. I am assuming What If will be PG-13 and maybe Disney will make some PG-13 animated content for Hulu. Warner Bros does not have the same family-friendly rep Disney has, so they don't mind making R rated DC comics content.

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
Absolutely. I feel like they are already shedding away their "family-friendly" image to prepare for when they buy more properties (I wouldn't necessarily call Family Guy "family friendly," despite having "family" in the title.) It's kind of sad, really, seeing as it's getting harder to find entertainment that's G/PG-rated these days.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I don't know if it's currently a priority but if the Hulu stuff succeeds it could probably influence whether future projects aimed at older audiences are made.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts