Will Disney make more PG-13 (maybe even R-rated) animated content in the future?

Latest News & Videos

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Disney bought our Marvel 10 years ago and right before the merger, Marvel was releasing some PG-13 direct to video movies (like Ultimate Avengers), which more or less dropped off around 2011. Now Disney has a reputation as the ''family-friendly'' company, but do you think they release some PG-13 or even R rated content in the future? Most of the animated content from Marvel/Disney is family-friendly (and most of it besides Big Hero 6 is awful), but not every Marvel character is a family-friendly character, like post-Frank Miller Daredevil, Deadpool or Punisher, and not every story, is family-friendly either. I am assuming What If will be PG-13 and maybe Disney will make some PG-13 animated content for Hulu. Warner Bros does not have the same family-friendly rep Disney has, so they don't mind making R rated DC comics content.

RainbowCupcake

Oh yeah. It's all coming together.
Dec 3, 2017
United States
Absolutely. I feel like they are already shedding away their "family-friendly" image to prepare for when they buy more properties (I wouldn't necessarily call Family Guy "family friendly," despite having "family" in the title.) It's kind of sad, really, seeing as it's getting harder to find entertainment that's G/PG-rated these days.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
I don't know if it's currently a priority but if the Hulu stuff succeeds it could probably influence whether future projects aimed at older audiences are made.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
I could definitely see them doing such during the next decade, such as PG-13 content on Disney+ and R-rated content on Hulu.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I wish a happy birthday to Roger Craig Smith (45), Will Friedle (44), and Alyson Stoner (27). Roger's roles include Batman, Sonic The Hedgehog, and Captain America. Will's roles include Terry McGinnis/Batman, Ron Stoppable, and Peter Quill/Star Lord. Allyson's roles include Isabella (Phineas And Ferb), Batgirl (Young Justice, Lego DC DVD movies), and Sam Sharp.
Here's a picture of Danica McKellar with her mother. It's impressive how similar they look. I could've sworn they were sisters. I know the picture is from 2015, but still.

Remember when social media wasn't so toxic?
Happy 58th birthday Alan.

Tony Sampson is the best Eddy. James Arnold Taylor tries, but he goes a bit too over the top.