Will Disney Make a Fantastic Four cartoon series?

Latest News & Videos

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
So this will be similar to the X-Men thread I made, but now that Disney has absorbed Fox Studios, do you think they make a Fantastic Four cartoon series? If so, how do think Disney should handle the Fantastic Four in animation? The Fantastic Four have had several cartoons (one from the 60s, one from the 70s, one from the 90s and one from 2006, along with that bad Thing cartoon) and none of them are very good. The 60s and 70s cartoons come off as cheap and cheesy products of their time, the 90s one had a terrible first season and a decent second season, but by then the damage was done and the 2006 cartoon mirrored the 2005 film, in that it tried to be a sitcom and a farce and did not work very well.

I feel like the Fantastic Four works when things are over the top and a bit goofy, but everyone takes it seriously (but not so self-serious it becomes ridiculous). Its called the Fantastic Four, so fantastic things have to happen, in this series. You also need to capture the family dynamic in an FF cartoon, which is why it should not be a farce, despite its fantastic nature.

I also think the villains are a problem, Dr. Doom is one of my favorite villains, but he is hardly ever done well in animation. I like Galactus, Annhilus is a great concept, but even in the comics, they go back and forth as to whether he is a threat or joke (he goes from blowing up solar systems to getting beaten up and chained by Human Torch), Mole Man and Diablo are decent concepts that usually not used well. Mad Thinker is actually a great concept, that is hardly done well (his ability to predict almost anything but human nature is tricky to write and I prefer him to be morally ambiguous rather than a flat out villain). Puppet Master is a villain with a decent gimmick and a connection to one of the heroes through his stepdaughter but is often just a generic bad guy (except for that time they tried to make him into an evil psychopath in 2007, which did not work). Red Ghost is an outdated cold war relic and the Frightful Four (mainlyTrapster and Wizard) are some the worst villains in comics, generic motives that make no sense, no redeeming qualities and no real sense of menace from those 2. I think the rogues gallery could use a revamp in animation, the same way Bruce Timm would revamp DC villains in animation.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
If they don't have any plans for an actual series, I would be fine with them only making guest appearances for a while. Kind of how Thing showed up a couple of times on USM but bring on the entire team now. I'd love to see a team-up between Spidey and Human Torch, something that has never really happened in animation before despite the two appearing together in a couple of cartoons.

Honestly I don't think the previous F4 shows are that bad, I enjoyed them all - even the one from the 60s. The only ones I didn't care too much for would be the 70s stuff, both Thing's solo cartoon and the series with HERBIE, and the 1st season of the 90s show is kind of tedious to sit through.

Having Valeria & Franklin would make the show stand out more. Maybe have the entire family go on adventures and stuff, sort of like Jonny Quest or The Secret Saturdays.

For what it's worth, I did start a similar topic a few years ago.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
If they don't have any plans for an actual series, I would be fine with them only making guest appearances for a while. Kind of how Thing showed up a couple of times on USM but bring on the entire team now. I'd love to see a team-up between Spidey and Human Torch, something that has never really happened in animation before despite the two appearing together in a couple of cartoons.
It's a real shame they couldn't use Reed Richards or the most science-oriented Superheroes in the Marvel Universe on Marvel's Spider-Man with all it's emphasis on super-science :(.

Reactions: JoeMabbon

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
I do hope we get a new F4 cartoon, now that the Disney/Fox merger has been finalised. Same with a new X-Men cartoon since we're overdue for one after the cancellation of WATXM.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I found this comment from Cort Lane very interesting.
Cort Lane: I’m not allowed to reveal the next few series that are coming up – but there are new shows in the works about characters and properties we haven’t done series for in decades. That’s all I can say for now.

Obviously there’s a lot coming up. There’s so much changing in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and with the recent Fox acquisition, but I can’t get into specifics other than to say there will be announcements coming later this summer.

Reactions: Red Arrow

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Technically it hasn't been "decades" yet since the last F4 or X-Men animated series, but it's cool to know they are planning something.
True, but considering he talks about them in the same breadth as the Disney/Fox deal, I can't imagine he could be talking about anything else ;).

Should be an interesting Summer this year...

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
Properties they haven't done series for in decades? All that can be is Spider-Woman and Silver Surfer...

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Not to get too much off-topic here, but if we're counting the 60s Marvel Super Heroes Show, other candidates for characters who haven't had series in decades would be solo shows for Captain America and Thor, and then Namor.

Bu the first two have been present pretty much all the time in animation lately, and I doubt Namor would take priority over the Fantastic Four.

Reactions: Frontier

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Not to get too much off-topic here, but if we're counting the 60s Marvel Super Heroes Show, other candidates for characters who haven't had series in decades would be solo shows for Captain America and Thor, and then Namor.

Bu the first two have been present pretty much all the time in animation lately, and I doubt Namor would take priority over the Fantastic Four.
I thought about it being for other Avengers heroes without solo cartoons, but I think the way it was phrased and made in relation to the Fox deal means it probably involves characters associated with that deal ;).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Well, I agree Lane's comment was most likely about the Fox characters they re-gained. Like I said it was only a technicality, nitpick or whatever. In a way it does feel like it's been decades since we last saw most of them. :p

Reactions: Frontier