Will cartoons aging decrease their popularity and reruns?

Tacartoon

This is something I've been overthinking for a long time, mainly because it worries me, but do you think that once cartoons become 70+ years or a century old, they'll fade into obscurity and it will be hard to access them from that point on, since TV stations most likely won't rerun them anymore due to the people who grew up with them being dead? And it will be harder to be able to watch them since current forms of technology (YouTube, DVDs, streaming services) will likely become obsolete by the time shows like Ed, Edd 'n Eddy and The Fairly OddParents turn 100, and pretty much every cartoons made in the 2000s, 2010s, 90s and prior?

I worry about this because it's extremely rare for vintage-themed television channels to rerun content that predates the 50s, animated or live action. The oldest show I see still reran to this day on TV is I Love Lucy. Others include The Adam's Family, Dennis the Menace, and Leave It to Beaver. But I have a feeling that by the next decade all the aforementioned black-and-white series will go away, if not sometime by the 2060s, to stay fresh and hip and cater to younger generations' nostalgia.

However, I wouldn't say content that is nearly a century old has faded into oblivion: There are many people who uploaded black and white movies as early as the 1930s (Our Gang films especially) onto YouTube and they still manage to get many views. In addition, Pinnochio is a movie that's almost 100 years old and it's still extremely iconic to this day. The same thing can be said about iconic pieces of artwork from centuries ago that are still well known to young people of today.

I think that once cartoons of the more recent times turn a century old, they'll be known to kids of those generations to be used as a device in history class to teach them what we watched to entertain ourselves, and there will be archival sources dedicated to century-old cartoons accessible for as long as time goes on, although younger kids will most likely find them boring for being too 'old-fashioned'. I'm not sure if they'll even still be eligible for reruns on TV by the 2100s though... However I have a strong feeling that archival networks today dedicated to classic programming (MeTV, Antenna TV) will be made for 90s and 2000s cartoons in the next two decades, if they get CN, Nick, Disney or whomever's rights to acquire the programming.

stephane dumas

I think current shows and movies are much more likely to be archived. For example if the early days of television, wiping was very common. Producers did not see the value of reruns so they recorded over them. They are literally lost.

Yeah, let's hope they won't do the same mistake as the BBC did with the earlier seasons of Doctor Who featuring the 1st and 2nd Doctors (William Hartnell and Patrick Throughton).

Low Spark of Lyman

Throw me a role, Jon.
This is just a technical point, but "animated content that predates the 50s" is barely existent in the first place because television animated shows were just getting started in the very late 40s. The first such show was Crusader Rabbit; while the show itself hasn't aired on television in decades (apparently the last time was in the 1970s), the title character has this recent product: Funko SODA Crusader Rabbit Vinyl Figure

Zorak Masaki

This is a good question. While a lot of streaming sites do have older shows, as original content becomes more and more important, the older material becomes less relevant and sometimes even taken off (Netflix had tons of classic 70s-80s tv shows, not just animation, back in the day, now it's mainly recent shows).

Tacartoon

So does that many by the 2060s, cartoons like The Flintstones, Looney Tunes, and Tom and Jerry will cease to get reruns on account of them being 'too old'?

Dudley

Staff member
I wouldn’t be too concerned about popularity, and more about their accessibility. With streaming platforms bragging about their library of content, they’ll be sure to put their older content up where it can be seen.
They’ll likely never air it anymore though (Except maybe on MeTV), as networks would prefer to fill their programming with newer stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low Spark of Lyman

Throw me a role, Jon.
About MeTV: I wouldn't be surprised if other retro digital sub-channels follow its path and add notable animated series to their blocks. One could bring up how KidsClick didn't, well, click, but then the block wasn't much of a greatest hits package, and even less into vintage shows. MeTV hit the right notes with The Flintstones, and will probably do the same with the theatrical cartoons when they premiere next month.

As far as other channels are concerned, while they may not be putting much focus on vintage animated programming anymore, there is still room for exceptions (like Charlie Brown on PBS). Though, I do wonder if television will change with networks increasingly focusing on current/recent programming and with vintage programming increasing.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Clearly, People seemed to forget that the late Chrtistine Cavanaugh who originally voiced Chuckie Finster on Rugrats, retired from Voice Acting in like 2001, and Nancy Cartwright took over the role since then.
"It can be so hard to leave someone you love, but if you find something to remember them by, you will feel less alone." -Willa, one of the Made-for-Qubo segments on Willa's Wild Life

Thanks for all the memories, Qubo.

The winner of this matchup is Harpy Gee, which got 5 votes. Both Yoyotoki Happy Ears and Marisa And The Mirror got 0 votes. Now we go into the final round with a 3 way matchup. It's between Missing The Mark, Harpy Gee, and Pizza Pilot.
R.I.P. Qubo and Ion Plus (2006 Qubo / 2007 Plus - 2021)
March Madness 2021!

Featured Posts