Will Cartoon Network Start Their Own Streaming Service?

TheCartoonRailfan

Where's my senior discount?
You are probably familiar with Disney's streaming service and the news that Nickelodeon has partnered with Netflix, but what if Cartoon Network started their own streaming service? I am kind of thinking that Cartoon Network would be able to bring back their old shows and create some new content as well. I already know that some of the older shows are on Hulu.

Cartoon Network should definitely bring back their original content, the Hanna Barbera and Warner Bros. cartoons, and possibly the Toonami versions of the anime they aired in the late 90's/early 2000's. It would a major boon to the network. I remember reading that Toonami had their own streaming service in the 2000's, and I watched some of their now discontinued streaming on the Adult Swim website over a year ago.

What are your thoughts about this?

Corwin Haught

When CN's current contracts with Hulu and Netflix are up, it is likely that those shows will go to HBO Max.

Action!

HBO Max is the streaming service for Cartoon Network.

TheCartoonRailfan

For streaming, I have noticed some of the 90's and early 2000's shows on the Boomerang streaming service and Hulu. Content-wise, I would like to see some of the obscure titles such as The Moxy Show, Mike, Lu, and Og, Whatever Happened to Robot Jones, and Time Squad, and the Toonami versions of Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, Tenchi Muyo!, Gundam, Outlaw Star, and Voltron.

AdrenalineRush1996

For streaming, I have noticed some of the 90's and early 2000's shows on the Boomerang streaming service and Hulu. Content-wise, I would like to see some of the obscure titles such as The Moxy Show, Mike, Lu, and Og, Whatever Happened to Robot Jones, and Time Squad, and the Toonami versions of Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, Tenchi Muyo!, Gundam, Outlaw Star, and Voltron.
Honestly, I could see said obscure titles showing up on HBO Max but I'm doubtful about Voltron appearing in said service since the IP is now co-owned by NBC Universal (World Events Productions owns the other half), following their acquisition of Dreamworks Animation three years ago, which in turn came after DWA bought IP co-owner Classic Media in 2012.

Heck, I'm doubtful the 2002 MOTU reboot will be included since like Voltron, NBC Universal owns half of the IP rights (Mattel owns the other half) as a result of the same thing.

That being said, there's no need for a separate Cartoon Network streaming service when HBO Max is going to include content from CN, as well as Warner Bros. Animation and Hanna-Barbera.

Light Lucario

Staff member
It seems unlikely when they're already are going to air some Cartoon Network shows on HBO Max. I don't know how much of their library will be available there, but there's really no need for a separate streaming service when they're already part of another pretty huge one.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I hate it when people suggest new streaming services. The more there are, the less options there are for people who subscribe to other services. Boomerang and HBO Max will do just fine. I don't know WHY people want to pay more money for less content but these sorts of threads are constant here.

TheCartoonRailfan

After reading about the pricing for the streaming services, I was very shocked. If you just subscribed to several streaming services and didn't have cable, you will pay more for streaming than if you just had cable; it's no wonder we don't need more streaming services. The only solution is that we just add more shows to the current services and have no additional fees.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
I think the OP just hadn't heard about HBO Max yet (I know I just finally got around to discovering what it is the other day). I don't think the OP was suggesting an ADDITIONAL streaming service on top of HBO Max.

(I'm still perplexed as to what is the need for the Boomerang App, once HBO Max begins).

5YearsOnEastCoast

We have at least 4 streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney+) and then there are upcoming ones like HBO Max and Apple+. Do we need more streaming services now that it is a little overkill.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Welcome MTV 00's!
(Video by TVArculatBomba)

My new favourite music channel with my favourite musics from my childhood! :)
I wish a happy birthday to Corey Burton (66) (voice of Professor Ludwig Von Drake for over 30 years, as well as Megatron on Transformers Animated), Sumalee Montano (49) (voice of Arcee on Transformers Prime and Katana on Beware The Batman), and Travis Willingham (40) (voice of King Roland on Sofia The First and Thor on many Marvel cartoons since Avengers Assemble).
My grandfather just passed away…

The winner of this matchup is Happy Birthday Scooby Doo, which got 3 votes. A Scooby Doo Valentine got 0 votes. The next matchup is Birthday For A Princess. It's between "Surprise" from Cleopatra In Space and "The Birthday Cruise" from Elena Of Avalor.
After the animated movie announcement, did not at all think a live-action TMNT was still in development.

Featured Posts