Will Cartoon Network ever do more with animation?

powerjake

Why has Cartoon Network Studios never bothered to make original kids cartoons that are entirely CGI or even entirely Stop Motion?. They mainly focus on cartoons that have the standard 2D animation, it would not hurt if they atleast tried to add variety for their cartoons animation outside of being 2D..

MrBabySpencer

I'm surprised that outside of 2D/Hand Drawn Animation, Cartoon Network has never tried a Stop-Motion series, it seems like something Cartoon Network would've done in it's early days, though one thing I could see coming soon to the network soon and that's CGI, which if Cartoonito is successful, it'll likely be produced there.

TheMisterManGuy

I'm surprised that outside of 2D/Hand Drawn Animation, Cartoon Network has never tried a Stop-Motion series, it seems like something Cartoon Network would've done in it's early days, though one thing I could see coming soon to the network soon and that's CGI, which if Cartoonito is successful, it'll likely be produced there.
The simple answer is that Stop Motion projects take forever to make, even by animation standards. It's arguably the most time-consuming form of animation since it requires constructing physical props and puppets, which itself is a very lengthy process. At least with 2D animation, you can bang out a character design in a couple hours. A stop motion puppet could take weeks to construct.

There's a reason stop-motion is not done very often in television. Even Robot Chicken, which has been running for over a decade, has year long gaps between seasons, sometimes more than that.

harry580

Cartoon Network could do stop motion, I mean maybe team up with aardman or laika (which they rumor they making a tv show based on paranorman) and boom you have stop motion on the network or make a series something on the scale of the Thomas model series or tugs

powerjake

Cartoon Network could do stop motion, I mean maybe team up with aardman or laika (which they rumor they making a tv show based on paranorman) and boom you have stop motion on the network or make a series something on the scale of the Thomas model series or tugs

Atleast that would give them variety in other animation styles to use outside of the common 2D animation they use alot for their cartoons.

powerjake

We had Flapjack and that's about it. Stop motion would be cool. And maybe even 2.5D/3D.

That only had brief stop motion scenes including the intro, that does not count as the show is mainly a 2D cartoon,. I'm talking about Cartoon Network making an entirely stop motion show for kids.

harry580

Too hard?, It would be cool if Cartoon Network made a stop motion kids show that had the runtime of 11 minutes or a maximum 22 minutes.
I think a claymation series with horror moments like Coraline or paranorman or a claymation comedy series like Wallace and Gromit could work nice

powerjake

I think a claymation series with horror moments like Coraline or paranorman or a claymation comedy series like Wallace and Gromit could work nice

I'd like to see that as it would be something new and enjoyable. Cartoon Network needs to think outside of the box.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Too hard?, It would be cool if Cartoon Network made a stop motion kids show that had the runtime of 11 minutes or a maximum 22 minutes.
Yup, hard. Have you ever tried to do stop motion? I have and even if you make a one minute project, if you want it to look good, it takes a lot more time, resources, thinking than animation. In a team it would be better of course, but you have the tangible element of real assets. How many stop motion movies and shows get made per year? Maybe one or two.

MrBabySpencer

The simple answer is that Stop Motion projects take forever to make, even by animation standards. It's arguably the most time-consuming form of animation since it requires constructing physical props and puppets, which itself is a very lengthy process. At least with 2D animation, you can bang out a character design in a couple hours. A stop motion puppet could take weeks to construct.

There's a reason stop-motion is not done very often in television. Even Robot Chicken, which has been running for over a decade, has year long gaps between seasons, sometimes more than that.
I know Stop-Motion can be hard, Me and my cousin used to make stop motion videos with WWE figures, I just thought using a whole team might've been easier.

TheMisterManGuy

I know Stop-Motion can be hard, Me and my cousin used to make stop motion videos with WWE figures, I just thought using a whole team might've been easier.
Even with a professional crew and studio-level budget, it's still way more time consuming than other animation forms, which is why networks don't do it very often.

powerjake

Yup, hard. Have you ever tried to do stop motion? I have and even if you make a one minute project, if you want it to look good, it takes a lot more time, resources, thinking than animation. In a team it would be better of course, but you have the tangible element of real assets. How many stop motion movies and shows get made per year? Maybe one or two.

It's also odd how Cartoon Network has not made any original kids cartoons made entirely CGI on their channel.

powerjake

I'd argue for similar reason. CGI is expensive if you want it good.

Never understood why Cartoon Network ignored CGI when other channels or streaming services make CGI cartoons for kids. Sure the price of it can be high depending on the budget, but they really need to give it a chance either if its runtime is 22 minutes or atleast 11 minutes.

harry580

Never understood why Cartoon Network ignored CGI when other channels or streaming services make CGI cartoons for kids. Sure the price of it can be high depending on the budget, but they really need to give it a chance either if its runtime is 22 minutes or atleast 11 minutes.
blame the people who thinks 2d animation is better than 3d animation, I mean not all cartoons have to be entirely 2d animation, look at iron giant, it combine 2d animation with 3d animation

powerjake

blame the people who thinks 2d animation is better than 3d animation, I mean not all cartoons have to be entirely 2d animation, look at iron giant, it combine 2d animation with 3d animation

It's like Cartoon Network is too afraid to make their own original entirely CGI kids cartoon. Maybe they are against the idea of anything thats not 2D animation.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Threw out my back on Sunday. Huge crippling pain and I could barely move. Still recovering.

My best friend is still in the hospital too. This week sucks.
It's not impossible for preschool shows to have videos with millions of views, but 7 million views in less than 2 weeks is surprising.

I have the Craig of the Creek: Capture the Flag promo played on TNT recently while watching Despicable Me 2.
that sad moment when you realize that Nickelodeon could've greenlighted another original cartoon but choose not to then waste it's resources on greenlighting another season of Fairly Oddparents just because they want to keep Butch Hartman.
Mike Milo's LinkedIn profile says he's a director for Harley Quinn season 3. He's worked on shows like Pinky And The Brain, Xiaolin Showdown, Chowder, Phineas And Ferb, Randy Cunningham, Curious George, and Scooby Doo And Guess Who, amongst other credits.

Featured Posts