Will 2D Animation Make A Return In Theatres n The 2020s

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News

NeoplanDan

Avid SEPTA Transit Fan
Apr 24, 2016
Ratings
1,408 9
Philadelphia PA
cricketgreens.tumblr.com
Currently at this point, we're still seeing films that is being made either CGI style, but hopefully we be able see it happening, I mean The Loud House has a upcoming film (which will either be animated) set upon that year (or era), but all of it depends on the amount of money and time needed to complete the project as making animated films takes about approximately 2-4 years (sometimes 5 if possible) to complete than on other non animated counterparts does, although some continues long enough to complete the deadline or sometime delays until whatever had to be done to make the film more of a finished product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sep 14, 2016
Ratings
As much as I'd love that, I think 2D is for the home video crowd. It doesn't make much as much as you'd think in box office and it's expensive...still.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Gear3dGryph0n

Aug 20, 2014
Ratings
326 1
Damnation Alley
If you look overseas, there are some good films in 2D traditional art styles that have gained cult followings (the work of Cartoon Saloon out of Ireland is notable and a personal favorite of mine). As for any hope of them becoming blockbusters or unseating the dominance of photoreal CGI, this is highly unlikely because of how mainstream tastes have changed, as well as how much more expensive and time-consuming traditional animation is.

Sep 14, 2016
Ratings
If you look overseas, there are some good films in 2D traditional art styles that have gained cult followings (the work of Cartoon Saloon out of Ireland is notable and a personal favorite of mine). As for any hope of them becoming blockbusters or unseating the dominance of photoreal CGI, this is highly unlikely because of how mainstream tastes have changed, as well as how much more expensive and time-consuming traditional animation is.
Agreed. If people wanted it, which they don't, it would be more popular and could make a resurgence in the states. I think with films from DC, they help to keep that craft.alive. That and cartoons
channels like cartoon network, Nickelodeon and xd. I think when cgi becomes cheaper for tv, they'll follow suite.

ToonJay723

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Ratings
1,555 12
New York
Studios like CG more, because if they want to change the story drastically, they could easily do that. In hand drawn animation, it's harder to do that. Maybe with puppet 2D animation getting better and better, they can start doing 2D animation again.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

My personal synopsis: I'm not the most energetic or enthusiastic person you'll ever meet, but that doesn't mean I can't have fun. Generally, I'm pretty introverted and usually play video games, watch anime, and also study in the field of IT. I'm a huge music fanatic, as well. And I listen to pretty much everything except country. My favorites being trap, jazz, and metal.
anyone else surprised that new Paw Patrol one hour special are now Nick's #1 most watched premieres in 2018 so far?
I just saw The Grinch in IMAX, it was great!
Iron Man: Armored Adventures is one of the most thrilling cartoons ever made.
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Hey Lady Lucario! Long time no see! How is life treating ya?