Why were Flintstones and Yogi Bear dormant for so long?

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
For the last few decades Warner Bros. have heavily been pushing the Hanna Barbera series Tom & Jerry and Scooby Doo. Though ironically they haven’t done much with Flintstones or Yogi.

Flintstones had a few specials and live action movies but has been mostly inactive since the 90’s except for Pebbles cereal and Vitamin Gummies.

More so with Yogi Bear along with most HB animals. Since Yo Yogi, there were a couple specials in the 90’s including John K’s version, and in 2010 a live action movie which got mixed reception but performed decently. Aside from the Jellystone campgrounds across the US Yogi has been virtually dormant. Only recently these franchises are getting new series.

What was is about Flintstones and Yogi that kept them from being active like Tom & Jerry and Scooby Doo?

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I'd say with The Flintstones, it's with trying to keep the more adult nature of the first few seasons of the original series, while still keeping the more child friendly feel of later products.

As for Yogi Bear, what is there about the series beyond "two bears steal picnic baskets from the park"? I mean, at least Tom And Jerry can take place in any place despite the formulaic nature of the series .

hobbyfan

Chumptoon Network used to see money in Scooby-Doo. Now, it's less so. Why do you think WarnerMedia decided to let Me-TV have Flintstones? It's partly because of the series' 60th anniversary coming later this year, and the fact that the characters are still cherished by older viewers, Me-TV's target demo.

5YearsOnEastCoast

Perhaps because their last shows didn't do well in ratings. I mean Yogi Bear's last show was Yo Yogi and look how that turned out.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Jonwo

The Flintstones is rooted in its concept of being a parody of The Honeymooners which makes it harder to modernise compared to say Scooby Doo or Tom and Jerry. It's not to say Warner Bros hasn't tried but it's clear that finding a concept that sticks has proven tougher than expected.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Yogi Bear had that disastrous flop of a live-action movie a decade ago. WB likely thought, "Okay, maybe the public ISN'T ready for Yogi's return." So he was shelved.

The Flintstones has had a few projects lately, like the DC Comics series, the WWE crossover, and Yabba-Dabba Dinosaurs. It seems WB is interested in doing anything BUT revive the old series.

kid rabbit

WB did the same thing with DC focusing more on batman
than the other dc characters
yogi bear and the other hanna barbara stuff is more a risk than scooby doo right now

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Cartoon Network used to see money in Scooby-Doo. Now, it's less so. Why do you think Warner Media decided to let Me-TV have Flintstones? It's partly because of the series' 60th anniversary coming later this year, and the fact that the characters are still cherished by older viewers, Me-TV's target demo.
Well, it's just that times have changed for Cartoon Network over the years and it's not just them but also their main competitors Nickelodeon and Disney Channel, given that the reunion films from the former's Nicktoons were ultimately released on Netflix than on their main network, not to mention that the upcoming Proud Family revival will be on Disney+ than on Disney Channel and the fact that these shows are still beloved by older viewers than current viewers.
The Flintstones has had a few projects lately, like the DC Comics series, the WWE crossover, and Yabba-Dabba Dinosaurs. It seems WB is interested in doing anything BUT revive the old series.
Not a revival of the original series, just a reboot of the series would be a great idea to introduce them to a new audience.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts